• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I was listening to 'Uncle Jack' again yesterday, for me it is right up there with the best episodes of Uncanny. But there is one glaring omission in the narrative in that when Jack opens the upstairs window and jumps down onto the road, is the window actually left open? The witness seems to imply this as he nails it down after the wind caught it post Jack jumping out. So if this is the case, why didn't they ever run upstairs when the feet starting pacing around on the floorboards in order to see Jack open the window? In fact, why didn't they run upstairs before they knew about Jack rather than sit downstairs whilst someone - presumably an intruder - paced around upstairs?

...why didn't they ever run upstairs when the feet starting pacing around on the floorboards in order to see Jack open the window? In fact, why didn't they run upstairs before they knew about Jack rather than sit downstairs whilst someone - presumably an intruder - paced around upstairs?
I think... fear, basically. Sometimes when the paranormal is happening, the fear is huge.

I think... fear, basically. Sometimes when the paranormal is happening, the fear is huge.
True, especially after they knew about Uncle Jack. But at the beginning it just seemed that someone or some creature was upstairs so surely you would have gone up to investigate? Or why not wait outside as the footsteps started above them so that they can see whoever or whatever it was exiting their window and jumping down onto the road?

Also, to be blunt, if someone is getting into your house and exiting through a certain window then the very first thing you do is to secure that window so it can't happen again, because if they are getting out that way because there is a good chance they are getting in that way, too (perhaps with a stepladder).

Them you have the known fact that the guy worked with computers so if they didn't want to go upstairs then why not set up a camera trap or leave a video camera running? Or at the very least sprinkle some flour on the floor to get the footprints of whoever or whatever it was?

But then I have always thought it a bit odd that his partner Jay was the a direct descendant of Jack and the cottage was still owned by the family and yet she didn't know about his ghost? I'm inclined to believe that they knew it was haunted from the outset but it makes for better drama if they find out from the friendly local. Otherwise it just seems a bit 'off' to me that you believe a person, rodent or trapped cat or whatever is upstairs in your own house and you don't even go up to investigate or at least go outside to catch 'it' in the act of exiting via the window.

Should add that I am speaking from experience here as I have previously posted on here here about the Devon village detached house my parents bought in 1985 did have strange bumps and footsteps that came from an empty upstairs bedroom and which we could never explain. On occasions I heard these when alone alone in the house and would muster the courage to go up and investigate but I'll admit I didn't linger...

Last edited:
True, especially after they knew about Uncle Jack. But at the beginning it just seemed that someone or some creature was upstairs so surely you would have gone up to investigate? Or why not wait outside as the footsteps started above them so that they can see whoever or whatever it was exiting their window and jumping down onto the road?

Also, to be blunt, if someone is getting into your house and exiting through a certain window then the very first thing you do is to secure that window so it can't happen again, because if they are getting out that way because there is a good chance they are getting in that way, too (perhaps with a stepladder).

Them you have the known fact that the guy worked with computers so if they didn't want to go upstairs then why not set up a camera trap or leave a video camera running? Or at the very least sprinkle some flour on the floor to get the footprints of whoever or whatever it was?

But then I have always thought it a bit odd that his partner Jay was the a direct descendant of Jack and the cottage was still owned by the family and yet she didn't know about his ghost? I'm inclined to believe that they knew it was haunted from the outset but it makes for better drama if they find out from the friendly local. Otherwise it just seems a bit 'off' to me that you believe a person, rodent or trapped cat or whatever is upstairs in your own house and you don't even go up to investigate or at least go outside to catch 'it' in the act of exiting via the window.

Should add that I am speaking from experience here as I have previously posted on here here about the Devon village detached house my parents bought in 1985 did have strange bumps and footsteps that came from an empty upstairs bedroom and which we could never explain. On occasions I heard these when alone alone in the house and would muster the courage to go up and investigate but I'll admit I didn't linger...
I think I should make the distinction between hearing footsteps and dust falling through the floorboards and the actaual window being opened so that someone can climb out. The former is spooky and something to tell your friends down the pub whereas the latter is essentially an intruder in your own home or a poltergeist that can open windows and whichever it was surely required further investigation?

Last edited:
I have been in situations where I was.
If you are a 'true' investigator then you don't run away from that which you are investigating.
Judging by a lot of the ghost hunting videos I've seen, it is par for the course to run away at the first sign of anything spooky.

Personally, I'm content to just wait for the ghosts to come looking for me.

Last edited:
Judging by a lot of the ghost hunting videos I've seen, it is par for the course to run away at the first sign of anything spooky.
Which is why I'm somewhat scornful of said shows.
If you're going out to look for phenomena then you must be expecting something to happen. If nothing does then you can chalk it up as a fail. If, however, you experience something ... then you were expecting it.

Back