• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
My problem with the connection to the past was there was a lot of "might have been" and "could have been" about it, which suggests speculation to me, not anything concrete.

The dad thought that if there was a presence there, it was benevolent! Absolutely bizarre, did he not notice the effect the house was having on his wife and stepdaughter?!
Yes, the 'history' of the house felt very contrived and perhaps too reliant on the testimony of someone local telling them perhaps what they wanted to hear.

I slightly struggled with this one for other reasons. Primarily that the poltergeist activity was very specific and lacked the general knocking and manifesting objects associated with other notable cases. For once the skeptic's explanations resonated with me as regards the cutting of the headphones and CDs being rearranged. I began to wonder if there might have been a falling out over loud music with her new step-dad...? It's not an unlikely scenario given her age and hence the need for her to use headphones which then became an outlet for her frustration, as did her CD collection which she may have felt was threatened with removal.

I feel there is one question that is very personal to the girl involved and I only ask it as it is relevant to her testimony re the attempted hanging. It's not a nice thing to speculate BUT I have to ponder if she had any history of self-harming...?

Last edited:
Went for my evening walk and listened to Episode 2. Jeepers creepers, what a story!

Her account of the moving CDs gave me a horribly unsettled feeling. Would be interested to hear a follow-up with the property’s current owners, to see if phenomena still persists.

Isn’t that the thing about ghosts though? There is no way of investigating these sporadic happenings. And in this case she’d moved out long ago & it’s now owned by someone else. All you’re left with is the story.

The sceptic & believer were as you’d expect in their respective corners. The believer woman came out with the Stone Tape theory which is just a theory based on a play & has no evidential basis in reality. Grabbing at straws in desperation to come up with something.

Some of the incidents I found hard to swallow but I wasn’t there. And odd that the father didn’t notice anything at all.

Enjoyed episode 3, about the Todmodern UFO sightings in 1980. I grew up near there but totally missed this at the time, even though I used to read (or glance through) the local daily newspaper. Intriguing stuff! It made me want to find out more. I don't believe that the policeman would have confused the well-known Futuro house for a spaceship.

Enjoyed episode 3, about the Todmodern UFO sightings in 1980. I grew up near there but totally missed this at the time, even though I used to read (or glance through) the local daily newspaper. Intriguing stuff! It made me want to find out more. I don't believe that the policeman would have confused the well-known Futuro house for a spaceship.
I'm looking forward to listening to that later... I remember when it was splashed all over the newspapers.

When I saw the episode title I was a bit disappointed it wasn't an obscure case, but it's such a good story (or set of stories) that I was quickly engrossed regardless. And there was stuff I didn't know, like the Russian scientist contacting PC Godfrey, and Adamski having had a haircut while abducted (!?). Maybe this will prompt others to come forward if it was a real flap at the time?

A haircut while abducted? That's the first time I've heard of that.

I’m thoroughly enjoying the series and looking forward to the feedback on the shows that will be broadcast at a later date.

Does anyone know whether Godfrey ever underwent regression? I know it's a bit of a contentious subject but you'd think that would be a thing he would consider, and yet it was never mentioned.

It has been a long time since I have looked at the Godfrey UFO, and I never linked it to the Adamski killing in my head, I'm not sure I was aware of the link at all. I recall David Clarke (I think) at UnConvention some years back claiming that it was an underworld killing and that more was known locally than was being let on.

When I heard the bit about the translocating cows I immediately saw a Gary Larson cartoon in my head.

Edited to add:

@Cloudbusting, according to this article he did undergo hypnotic regression but it doesn't go into details.

Godfrey has also written a book about what happened called "Who or What Were They?"

Edited again to add this newspaper article that gives more detail of the abduction. I wonder why this wasn't part of the programme!?

Last edited:
I did not realize the coal yard incident and the sighting were so close together time wise,
even the saucer house got a mention.

I suppose coincidence means there will be clusters of events no matter how they're arranged in time, but it makes you think, doesn't it? Two infamous incidents linked by the same man.

Makes me think, once is just something that happened, twice is a coincidence three times is enemy action.
:omr:

Does anyone know whether Godfrey ever underwent regression? I know it's a bit of a contentious subject but you'd think that would be a thing he would consider, and yet it was never mentioned.
Yes he did but he himself wasn't entirely convinced at what transpired. Here is a photo of him drawing the aliens he recalled under hypnosis:

https://www.spookyisles.com/alan-godfrey-alien/

The cows somehow ending up in different places that night is an interesting part of this incident. If we are to consider all angles then perhaps persons unknown were trying to steal them before Godfey turned up, or perhaps it was a botched attempt at theft. Sounds implausible but here is an account in which 89 sheep were stolen from a single field:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/new...ounds-worth-livestock-yorkshire-farms-2668045

That said, there is a female witness who claims the cows disappeared from one of the reported locations following "a bright flash of light".

I do believe he witnessed 'something' that morning, but I can't help but think the Futuro house was a screen memory of sorts after 'it' caused him to lose consciousness. I personally feel the hypnosis to be flawed as has been argued for many other case and the actual reality of what happened might well be be more fantastic than the rather hackneyed grey aliens.

I got this friend suggestion on Facebook :chuckle:

Attachments

• 1D5E8D39-1070-4D54-82FF-702E24C2EC05.jpeg
    1D5E8D39-1070-4D54-82FF-702E24C2EC05.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 27
If the picture on the front is what he saw it isn’t very similar. It’s looks more sombreroy.
C74DF93C-1118-4288-9630-3CF833CCE033.jpeg

True, but the Futuro House is/was very well know in the area so if he had seen it, he would have just thought, 'Well, that's the Futuro House.'
(Sorry I have tried and failed to quote your message!)

Here is his blackboard sketch of the object:

ufo.JPG

As for the Futuro house, I gather it was relocated several times around Todmorden.
Is it feasible that he came across it in an unexpected location and had a bit of a brainstorm?

It looks a bit similar but in his account he says it was hovering above the road, rotating & creating a sort of whirlwind which was blowing sticks around in a circular pattern. Hard to imagine a Futuro house doing that unless you introduce a brainstorm..

It looks a bit similar but in his account he says it was hovering above the road, rotating & creating a sort of whirlwind which was blowing sticks around in a circular pattern. Hard to imagine a Futuro house doing that unless you introduce a brainstorm..
Did he actually remember the rotation by himself, or was it a product of hypnosis?

Here is his blackboard sketch of the object:

View attachment 47908

As for the Futuro house, I gather it was relocated several times around Todmorden.
Is it feasible that he came across it in an unexpected location and had a bit of a brainstorm?
Other than it being rounded it isn’t very similar. The ‘windows’ are squared/oblong and double layered not rounded and single layered.

Seeing the blackboard photo again, I realise what he meant by diamond-shaped. Not four-sided like a rhombus or on a playing card, but the sort of cut diamond you have set in a ring or other jewellery.

Latest episode: I must admit I preferred the first half to the second, OK her friend was weighing heavily on her mind, but seeing someone at the point of their death in a different place is an old reliable when it comes to ghosts. The medium stuff was less interesting, it made an impression on her but Derren Brown does that every night and he's not in contact beyond this realm.

So, first slightly disappointing one - but next week, hoo boy, it's that Belfast horror room again! The trailer had me full of anticipation!

Latest episode: I must admit I preferred the first half to the second, OK her friend was weighing heavily on her mind, but seeing someone at the point of their death in a different place is an old reliable when it comes to ghosts. The medium stuff was less interesting, it made an impression on her but Derren Brown does that every night and he's not in contact beyond this realm.

So, first slightly disappointing one - but next week, hoo boy, it's that Belfast horror room again! The trailer had me full of anticipation!

Agreed - the way the episode was built up at the start I thought there would be a few more parts to the tale, so to speak. Certainly interesting but a little underwhelming.

A fairly typical crisis apparition, the first 10 minutes were interesting, downhill from there, skeptical "I believe Laura believes what she says but she imagined the whole thing" yawn, followed by a medium, yawn. Skeptic's comment near the end: "The classic cases in all areas of the paranormal are the ones where it can't be explained away easily but that doesn't mean that it can't be explained away at all." Ummm, absolutely everything can be explained away, but that doesn't mean the explanation is correct...

Back