• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The latest episode back with Room 611 was back to Danny’s best work, tracking down witnesses and digging out informatio.

Yes, the lift shaft hypothesis is in some ways compelling and yet seems to evade some of the bigger questions as to how the lift and the internal phones could activate themselves in an empty building. Also what the witnesses are seeing (the ’evil’ man at night) and hearing (the banging door) is all very similar, so why just these experiences if the lift shaft harmonics are the cause, why not images of, say, dolphins swimming in the room…?
What if it's all a hoax?

It is possible he saw something so alien that his subconscious could only compare it to the futuro house, much as a neanderthal might compare a smooth, flat and shiny black iPhone to a smooth, flat and shiny black pebble (if such a thing were possible).
Well, yes, this is kind of what I am thinking. Some people these days simply call it "The Other" and speculate that our consciousness translates "The Other" into images of UFOs, Ghosts, Bigfoot, Black Dogs and what not as we simply don't have a valid concept of whatever that might be.

Well, yes, this is kind of what I am thinking. Some people these days simply call it "The Other" and speculate that our consciousness translates "The Other" into images of UFOs, Ghosts, Bigfoot, Black Dogs and what not as we simply don't have a valid concept of whatever that might be.
Spanish ufologist Jose Caravaca’s Distortion Theory. For example:

Let’s take Jose Caravaca’s “Distortion Theory” one step further….​

https://ufocon.blogspot.com/search?q=Jose

“… provides the idea that an outside influence – an external agent he calls it – has taken occasion to intrude upon a UFO encounter, maybe even creating the encounter, causing those immersed in the encounter to experience a bevy of images and feelings that come from within them…”

Thus, in the 1980 PC Alan Godfrey case, he was unable to comprehend the object he was seeing that night and thus either his subconscious or an external agent showed him the futuro house

“… provides the idea that an outside influence – an external agent he calls it – has taken occasion to intrude upon a UFO encounter, maybe even creating the encounter, causing those immersed in the encounter to experience a bevy of images and feelings that come from within them…”

Thus, in the 1980 PC Alan Godfrey case, he was unable to comprehend the object he was seeing that night and thus either his subconscious or an external agent showed him the futuro house
I didn't know there was a name for that idea, but henceforth I will call myself a "Distortion Theorist". (Maybe).

Sorry, I know this is stupid but I haven't worked out the Quote thing! I click on 'Quote' and it doesn't work!

Anyway -- the thing about the phones in the Belfast student halls: being an old codger, I know phones on old landline systems did sometimes blip and glitch and ring apparently 'by themselves' and we never thought it was paranormal -- just some interference down the line, or indeed someone ringing, then ringing off.

Sorry, I know this is stupid but I haven't worked out the Quote thing! I click on 'Quote' and it doesn't work!
Try selecting the piece of text that you wish to quote. A popup should appear, allowing you a choice of 'Quote' or 'Reply'.
Click on either option, and the text will appear in the box where you type your message.

Thanks for that! Just bought his book Distorsión on Kindle and will report back in due course!

Fortunately the latest has only one mention of a demon, and a lot more mentions of the more sensible "poltergeist" (well, relatively speaking). It's kind of similar in some ways to previous episodes, which makes me think the otherworldly entities are a bit of a one trick pony, but Charli is convincing as a witness (and an actual celeb, though I'd never heard of her before).

But please, stop using so many sound effects! It was ridiculous this time! And the F-bomb was pretty stupid too!

After watching recent paranormal programmes and after listening to uncanny last night, I'm reminded how prolific 'demons' appear to be in America. It seems like anything spooky and vaguely malevolent = demon. :rolleyes:
Yep, that's become a bit of a joke on some Paranormal Podcasts - "Everything Is Demons".

Anyway -- the thing about the phones in the Belfast student halls: being an old codger, I know phones on old landline systems did sometimes blip and glitch and ring apparently 'by themselves' and we never thought it was paranormal -- just some interference down the line, or indeed someone ringing, then ringing off.
Are you actually trying to do 'Reply with Quote'?
For that you just click on 'Reply' and it's all done for you. :)

The actual 'Quote' function is different kettle of fish. I don't even know what that's for.

Yep, that's become a bit of a joke on some Paranormal Podcasts - "Everything Is Demons".
Have to say that having been raised in a mainly unobserving Methodist family with no religious or cultural context of anything supernatural, like saints or the Virgin Mary or anything else apart from God and his gentle and long-suffering son, the idea of believing in demons baffles me.

Where does that belief come from? It's not part of mainstream Christianity.

Have to say that having been raised in a mainly unobserving Methodist family with no religious or cultural context of anything supernatural, like saints or the Virgin Mary or anything else apart from God and his gentle and long-suffering son, the idea of believing in demons baffles me.

Where does that belief come from? It's not part of mainstream Christianity.
Evangelical churches I think, but even then it depends very much on the individual church.

The Brooklyn Poltergeist is quite a decent episode, the "experts" didn't really seem to have much to say, better that way.

True, I can remember this as a child in the 70s. However, this was an internal phone system

The witnesses go by their actual names and not pseudonyms and have sound credentials. Also, Danny is no wide-eyed believer and from listening to his work I firmly believe he would not only sniff out a hoax but also expose it for what it was to his listeners.
Fair enough. Have to admit that reading my father's many UFO books as a child and later reading about painted glass panels and thrown hub-caps gave me a deep scepticism on the subject.

The most recent subject is Charli Howard, who as I said is a minor celebrity (she's a plus-sized model and women's rights advocate). So she seems to be real, you can Google her easily.

I caught this show tonight, by accident. I thought it was a drama: Radio 4 doing the Ghostwatch thing. Unconvincing as hell!

Paper-thin slebs meet New York Apartment setting from Rosemary's Baby plus bangings from the Haunting . . .

Disconcerted to find it was a documentary . . . of sorts. :willy:

The intended audience for this?

I caught this show tonight, by accident. I thought it was a drama: Radio 4 doing the Ghostwatch thing. Unconvincing as hell!

Paper-thin slebs meet New York Apartment setting from Rosemary's Baby plus bangings from the Haunting . . .

Disconcerted to find it was a documentary . . . of sorts. :willy:

The intended audience for this?
Sounds like a (relatively) low-level poltergeist to me... but could have done without the rubbish sound effects.

I just spotted Danny Robins is in an episode of Scarlett Moffatt Wants to Believe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0b3nk9h
I don't Want to Believe that 'celebrity' Scarlett Moffatt is given her own radio show to discuss such things. I mean what exactly is she going to add to the Dyaltov Pass incident...? Here is a quote from her about sprit mediums:

"‘She can speak to all those spirits and not one has told her that her hair looks s**t?’".

It makes me weep that you have serious researchers such as the CFZ's Richard Freeman and Danny himself going out in the field to actually find answers only for her to be gifted a large slice of the minimal BBC radio airtime afforded to the paranormal. Here is another of her quotes on the subject of evaporated milk:

"Evaporated milk? How would you add evaporated milk in? It’s not there!"

Or how about her insight into ancient Egypt:

"Everyone thinks that hieroglyphics are really old but if you think about how the world's going now, I think they are just emojis."

:headbang:o_O

I’ve just started listen to the Battersea poltergeist. Why does he have to describe people even when it has nothing to do with what’s going on? Also why did he tell us the grannies weight in American ‘money’ it means nothing to me and probably most listeners.

Is there any reason that it would have to be an 'external' agent? Something weird going off within the brain could also be misinterpreted as an external encounter. No one should ever underestimate how rubbish the human brain can be.

Is there any reason that it would have to be an 'external' agent? Something weird going off within the brain could also be misinterpreted as an external encounter. No one should ever underestimate how rubbish the human brain can be.
Whether the 'triggering agent' is internal or external (to the brain of the witness or witnesses) it is still something we don't currently understand within our range of rational science, and it is something it would be good to gain an understanding of. A simple malfunction within the brain which gets 'reformatted' into an hallucination the witness/sufferer can process is a fascinating idea that could explain a lot of things, but multiple witness sightings, or similar things being seen by different people at different times, or even weird stuff seemingly objective enough to be caught on cameras or radar etc, all seem to potentially mitigate against this notion as being the 'catch-all' answer to everything that gets reported.

Back