• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I've certainly heard stronger Glasgow accents; on the other hand there were a couple of places where it took me a good few seconds to process what the witness had just said into an intelligible sentence.
I must admit that back in the 70’s before he was Ill, my dad had two special “employees” who were with him all the time he was out of the house and who delivered him home each night. They were from Glasgow, maybe from the Gorbals but that may just be me mixing things up from memory. I could not understand a word those guys said. Heavy accent, colloquial dialect, probably a bit of Glaswegian slang thrown in for good measure. They may just as well have been talking Mongolian from all I understood.

These 'Extreme Ghost Stories' episodes have a lot in common with some of Danny's work in that you have dramatisations and the actual witnesses being interviewed. This haunting is an especially good one:

In many ways the series were let down by their rather sensationalist title and sometimes overly-dramatic reconstructions as they are all solid hauntings and poltergeists with named witnesses

Last edited:
Interesting story. I and my husband’s first house had a couple of incidents similar to the bags being opened (bags in the livingroom being opened and closed as told by my husband), things being moved (spoon flying into kitchen sink from counter) and removed. No apparitions though thank goodness.

I've just listened to the 'Uncanny' Christmas special (broadcast 17th December). Another intriguing case, well done to Danny and his team. But as always there was a point when I felt like shouting at the radio (well, at my phone, to be precise). When Kevin described the apparition that he saw, there was quite a lot of detail, and obviously he was only 6 at the time, but his memories of it were obviously quite strong. I wanted to know what sort of age he thought the 'woman' was, and how she was dressed, or indeed IF she was dressed, seeing as how she appeared to have one leg out of the bed. Can't have everything, I suppose.

Looking forward to listening to the 'Uncanny Live' episode that has been released today.

Last edited:
I've just listened to the 'Uncanny' Christmas special (broadcast 17th December). Another intriguing case, well done to Danny and his team. But as always there was a point when I felt like shouting at the radio (well, at my phone, to be precise). When Kevin described the apparition that he saw, there was quite a lot of detail, and obviously he was only 6 at the time, but his memories of it were obviously quite strong. I wanted to know what sort of age he thought the 'woman' was, and how she was dressed, or indeed IF she was dressed, seeing as how she appeared to have one leg out of the bed. Can't have everything, I suppose.

Looking forward to listening to the 'Uncanny Live' episode that has been released today.
I had to unsubscribe to another paranormal podcast from the USA when the guest, a loud and shrill American lady “medium”, started to explain the vivid memories she had when first abducted by aliens at 10 months of age. She had her wits about her and wrapped her legs around the cot to try and stop being taken. Good thinking for someone who is only 10 months.
After the abduction she realised that she was not just a medium, she was telepathic and telekinetic.
Whilst all the time the host is concurring, promoting the woman’s book, not challenging her, or recommending a good and reasonably priced psychiatrist.

I had to unsubscribe to another paranormal podcast from the USA when the guest, a loud and shrill American lady “medium”, started to explain the vivid memories she had when first abducted by aliens at 10 months of age. She had her wits about her and wrapped her legs around the cot to try and stop being taken. Good thinking for someone who is only 10 months.
After the abduction she realised that she was not just a medium, she was telepathic and telekinetic.
Whilst all the time the host is concurring, promoting the woman’s book, not challenging her, or recommending a good and reasonably priced psychiatrist.

I wonder... Why do people who claim to be routinely abducted by aliens never attempt to set up cameras, in order to check/prove that they do infact dissappear in the night? I'm guessing they'd probably say that the aliens can get around CCTV though. :wink2:

'Uncanny' does generally take an admirably non-commital approach, despite a tendancy to occasionally 'big up' the spookiness ("... and if you thought that was scary, wait until you hear what happens next...."). Just to be clear, I didn't bring up Kevin's age in my post to in any way cast doubt on the validity of his account. Whatever is the truth behind the apparition he describes seeing, I don't doubt that he is totally genuine.

One thing that did surprise me, is that iirc none of the commentators made the suggestion that the apparition was a hypnagogic (or hypnopompic) hallucination, bearing in mind that it happened in the middle of the night to a (presumably quite sleepy) six year old. Admittedly it would be a bit of a scary thing for the mind of a six year old to unintentionally conjure up!

Last edited:
The UK podcast 'Mysteries & Monsters' has had some excellent guests including several forum members but my oh my some of his guests from the States in particular are complete bat-shite crazy :comphit:

It did rather enjoy it and it was longer than usual.
Yes, great show, I wonder if Mark Gatiss ever visits these forums? He mentioned time-slips and other Fortean phenomena...

The Sproatley alien in the window case got my attention and found some source information here that includes the alleged photo:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/7914-clip-from-sightings/

It is a classic example of when the UFO phenomenon/paranormal focuses its attention on one particular household and includes poltergeist-type activity in addition to the craft and entity sightings. It has elements of other classic UFO cases, not least in that it was unpleasant for the family at the centre of it.

Does anyone have anymore on this case and the Hll UFO group? It is a really intriguing and Paul Sinclair has written about a similar, rather dark and distressing case from Yorkshire in the 1990s that involved a garage workshop, car mechanics, poltergeist-type activity some sort of UFO landing (https://truthproof.uk)

Yes, great show, I wonder if Mark Gatiss ever visits these forums? He mentioned time-slips and other Fortean phenomena...

The Sproatley alien in the window case got my attention and found some source information here that includes the alleged photo:

It is a classic example of when the UFO phenomenon/paranormal focuses its attention on one particular household and includes poltergeist-type activity in addition to the craft and entity sightings. It has elements of other classic UFO cases, not least in that it was unpleasant for the family at the centre of it.

Does anyone have anymore on this case and the Hll UFO group? It is a really intriguing and Paul Sinclair has written about a similar, rather dark and distressing case from Yorkshire in the 1990s that involved a garage workshop, car mechanics, poltergeist-type activity some sort of UFO landing (https://truthproof.uk)
Edit: also parallels with the Ripperstone Farm case from the 'Welsh Triangle' in 1976/77, with unidentified craft being seen from a distance, then up close, poltergeist-type activity, then humanoids/aliens seen in the vicinity and finally an 'alien' in the window...

Given H.U.F.O.S is now defunct, this was posted in 2003 and this quotation is mostly lifted from the Hull Daily Mail, I have taken the liberty of posting it here in the public interest given the inevitable renewed interest in the case from being featured in 'Uncanny':

Another Alien face in window.
From H.U.F.O.S. research group: LINK
"On Wednesday 21st December 1994 an article in the Hull Daily Mail, a local newspaper caught my attention with the headline "Mystery Face At The Window." The article states that a Withernsea family claimed mysterious aliens had been following them for the past two years. Muriel Rowbottom and her daughter, Sandra Walton, witnessed giant orange balls hovering above their bungalow in Sproatley. As an enormous white ball, with a mysterious shutter hovered above them they ran into the house. The sky changed colour, they heard a loud noise and house alarms started to ring. "It was very frightening. We were scared to look, but I pointed the camera at the window in hope of catching a picture of it." said Sandra, who at the time, lived with her mother.
They later found huge dents in the grass outside the property where she believes the white spaceship ball would have landed. During the stay at the remote property, she claims the volume on the hi-fi system turned itself up while other members of the family witnessed the strange goings-on. "I couldn't stay there anymore. Weird things kept happening and it was very frightening. People will think we are nuts but we know what we saw," she said.
In a second article from the Hull Daily Mail dated 21st January 1995, it is reported that NASA could examine the photographs what some experts say are some of the most exciting UFO pictures taken in Britian to date! To date, several investigators have undertaken this case and I know what most of you are thinking....... Why has it come to light again?
Speaking to Sandra and Murial (Right), they explain that this information has never received the attenion it needs. "It needs to out there, worldwide. Everyone has a right to see these pictures, not just the scientists." "

Is this CE3 deserving of its own thread and cold case investigation...? It would seem from a cursory search that the daughter at least is still alive

Given H.U.F.O.S is now defunct, this was posted in 2003 and this quotation is mostly lifted from the Hull Daily Mail, I have taken the liberty of posting it here in the public interest given the inevitable renewed interest in the case from being featured in 'Uncanny':

"On Wednesday 21st December 1994 an article in the Hull Daily Mail, a local newspaper caught my attention with the headline "Mystery Face At The Window." The article states that a Withernsea family claimed mysterious aliens had been following them for the past two years. Muriel Rowbottom and her daughter, Sandra Walton, witnessed giant orange balls hovering above their bungalow in Sproatley. As an enormous white ball, with a mysterious shutter hovered above them they ran into the house. The sky changed colour, they heard a loud noise and house alarms started to ring. "It was very frightening. We were scared to look, but I pointed the camera at the window in hope of catching a picture of it." said Sandra, who at the time, lived with her mother.
They later found huge dents in the grass outside the property where she believes the white spaceship ball would have landed. During the stay at the remote property, she claims the volume on the hi-fi system turned itself up while other members of the family witnessed the strange goings-on. "I couldn't stay there anymore. Weird things kept happening and it was very frightening. People will think we are nuts but we know what we saw," she said.
In a second article from the Hull Daily Mail dated 21st January 1995, it is reported that NASA could examine the photographs what some experts say are some of the most exciting UFO pictures taken in Britian to date! To date, several investigators have undertaken this case and I know what most of you are thinking....... Why has it come to light again?
Speaking to Sandra and Murial (Right), they explain that this information has never received the attenion it needs. "It needs to out there, worldwide. Everyone has a right to see these pictures, not just the scientists." "

Is this CE3 deserving of its own thread and cold case investigation...? It would seem from a cursory search that the daughter at least is still alive
If this is the case that I think it is, the photo was unconvincing, and looked like the flash had reflected off the glass, but they never tried to repeat the conditions by taking another photo.

Last edited:
If this is the case that I think it is, the photo was unconvincing, and looked like the flash had reflected of the glass, but they never tried to repeat the conditions by taking another photo.
I agree, not great. They claim they simply posted the camera and took a 'blind' photograph of what might have been there, They sound as if they were in a heightened state by then. I have been plowing through the BUFORA archive but can't find any mention of this case from that time period: https://bufora.org.uk/BUFORA-UFO-Times.php. It does sound as if the "UFO experts" are the ones promoting the photograph rather than the witnesses themselves. However, the 'Uncanny' testimony of those satellite tv fitters is quite powerful and there does seem to be a a solid case at the core.

Just caught up with the 'Uncanny Live' special. Really excellent stuff. I loved the interested but non-sensational tone of it. Reasoned discussion of some very intriguing cases. Mark Gatiss was an excellent contributor, and very amusing with his story of the Drury Lane ghost. I find myself very in tune with Gatiss's approach. He has had a few odd things happen to him but retains a healthy scepticism and puts forward the idea (forgive me paraphrasing here) that sometimes things happen that we don't understand but maybe they will become understandable in due course. And also his (to me) highly logical belief that life must surely exist on other planets.

The 'alien in the window' case was definitely something that needs further investigation. Thanks to those who have posted stuff above about it. I found the description of the figures that were seen as looking as though they were 'covered in marbles to reflect light' quite unusual and arresting. Did they look like they were wearing suits made out of catseyes, I wonder?

As so often with cases like this, I want to ask 'where were the neighbours? Passers by?' If anything like this happened in my village, almost the entire population would be out in the street, pointing and musing about local property prices declining.

As so often with cases like this, I want to ask 'where were the neighbours? Passers by?' If anything like this happened in my village, almost the entire population would be out in the street, pointing and musing about local property prices declining.
Seems that were tenant farmers, as not only they were able to decide to move homes during the 9 month course of her pregnancy, but also their new home was on what was clearly an established turkey farm ("four sheds the size of football pitches" - Uncanny). I know from experience of living in East Anglia for 6 months that turkey farming is big business with some major players involved. Farmworkers who look after poultry are referred to as 'stock men' and generally get live in a house, bungalow or caravan on site. Both farms were probably owned by the same parent company.

Poultry farms also smell and therefore tend to be in quite isolated areas to avoid complaints (their new place is described as "difficult to find". Sproatley is in a rural area and they were probably located down a drive away from the road and outside of the village itself and therefore no close neighbours and few passersby. But they did contact the police and apparently fishing boats off the coast of Hull had also reported the oval UFOs, so there was a degree of corroboration

Last edited:
Seems that were tenant farmers, as not only they were able to decide to move homes during the 9 month course of her pregnancy, but also their new home was on what was clearly an established turkey farm ("four sheds the size of football pitches" - Uncanny). I know from experience of living in East Anglia for 6 months that turkey farming is big business with some major players involved. Farmworkers who look after poultry are referred to as 'stock men' and generally get live in a house, bungalow or caravan on site. Both farms were probably owned by the same parent company.

Poultry farms also smell and therefore tend to be in quite isolated areas to avoid complaints (their new place is described as "difficult to find". Sproatley is in a rural area and they were probably located down a drive away from the road and outside of the village itself and therefore no close neighbours and few passersby. But they did contact the police and apparently fishing boats off the coast of Hull had also reported the oval UFOs, so there was a degree of corroboration
That does explain things. But really, nobody else on the farm AT ALL? We have a fair few chicken farms around here, and they usually form part of a mixed farm (and not always that isolated!), but it takes more than one resident farmer to work them, so there are usually several houses, or even just mobile homes, on the site.

That does explain things. But really, nobody else on the farm AT ALL? We have a fair few chicken farms around here, and they usually form part of a mixed farm (and not always that isolated!), but it takes more than one resident farmer to work them, so there are usually several houses, or even just mobile homes, on the site.
I'm not surprised that no-one else noticed at all, even if it was a genuine paranormal event. The history of the paranormal is replete with cases where one (or more) people had a paranormal encounter, and nearby people saw nothing - or two out of three people saw something, or whatever.

I'm not surprised that no-one else noticed at all, even if it was a genuine paranormal event. The history of the paranormal is replete with cases where one (or more) people had a paranormal encounter, and nearby people saw nothing - or two out of three people saw something, or whatever.
Interesting that you mentioned this. I just listened to the Uncanny live episode and loved the stories. The first one (my favourite) about the red lady recounts an experience where the two friends see an apparition and react to it and when they return to the scene later, they find someone who witnessed their reaction, but saw nothing but the two of them.

I enjoyed this one because it didn’t involve any dramatization, only stories being told. The co-host was also interesting to listen to.

Paul Sinclair interviewed Sproatley UFO witnesses Muriel and daughter Sandra in 2006 for his first 'Truth Proof' book that also includes better images of the 'alien' in the window:

https://truthproof.uk

I'm not about to plagiarise Paul's work as he is a hands-on investigator and his books are available on Kindle for a modest sum. Fair to say it is a detailed account and they were not treated well by a certain local UFO researcher.

Edit to the above (had to stop for dinner!):

Paul goes into great detail, however there is no mention of the UFOs seen out to sea prior to the main experience nor the entities that seemed to be reflecting light as if they were covered in marbles that we learnt of from Uncanny. This is a curious omission as Paul collects and researches UFO sightings from that same area as this would have been of great interest to him.

Last edited:
Back