• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UnCon 08

original_fLeebLe

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
*updated*

1-2 november 10am-5pm
'two days of talks, performances, workshops, exhibits, stalls and screenings in one of londons most historic venues'

featuring:-
full bar and cafe facilities
two continuous streams of talks
fortean publishing workshop with Patrick Huyghe
special panel on spring heeled jack
live parapsychology experiments with the association for the scientific study of anomalous phenomena
dealer room and fortean exhibits

confirmed speakers are:-
Gail-Nina Andereson : dracula's bats
Jan Bondeson : toads in the hole & animal showers
David Clarke : opening britains x-files
Mike Dash : spring-heeled jack
Jon Downes : re-evaluating chupacabra
Patrick Huyghe : ufos & national security
Theo Paijmans : the woman in black
Ian Simmons : extraterrestrial myths in modern music
Andy Roberts : psychedelia forteana
Mark Pilkington : the minus men
John Lundberg : the minus men
Gordon Rutter : spirit photography
Richard Wiseman : the cottingley fairies
Ivan Mackerle : the golem of prague
Alan Murdie : fatal ghost encounters

more to be announced

Kittie Klaw : is not in the list this issue

tickets available at http://www.forteantimes.com/uncon08
1 day pass £20
2 day pass £36
prices in advance and there is a booking fee

added one mr Rutter.
are we allowed to know what subject you will be talking about Gordon?

I won't be there as that time of year has a deep religious significance for me and I intend to celebrate in a suitable way, for which I need to be at home.

Dressed as a witch. With a pumpkin. And big bag of sweets.

original_fLeebLe said:
added one mr Rutter.
are we allowed to know what subject you will be talking about Gordon?

Oh all right seens you asked so nicely :)

I'll be talking about the history of spirit / ghost photography and, with Richard Wiseman, giving a new take on Cottingley...

Gordon

cool, now to add mr Wiseman to the list.
i can't wait to go, hotel is all booked and tickets purchased :)

I haven't booked yet. I have to weigh things up. There's Weird Weekend in August. Uncon November. Now - which speakers will be at both, which subject will be doubled up, and how much money have I got?

Well, after browsing hotel prices, all I can say is bugger that for a game of chocolate soldiers! I went to a Ripper conference last year, where the all-in price - full board, accommodation, an excellent brochure, and all talks - cost £240 for the whole weekend! I can't find anything nearby for less than £100 per freakin' night!!!

We're working on securing some kind of cheap hotel deal for Uncon visitors; can't promise anything, but we are looking into it.

DS

Well, that would be nice. I've got some suggestions now, thankfully, so I've calmed down a bit. But still - three hours I was searching last night, and £300 per night was a bit bloody ridiculous!

Couldn't FT look into something like the Ripper conference package for any future Uncons? I mean, there were 90 of us in this hotel. It's every other year. They just about managed to pull even, fair enough, but conventions aren't really about profit, are they? And yet, at £240, I couldn't see any corners cut or cheap options. It was great. Lovely food, wonderful clean hotel, friendly staff - brilliant.

Everything sorted out for you. Made it so incredibly easy. And this isn't any real organisation doing it. It's a couple who sort it out. Well, they used to. I don't think they're doing next year's. And they do it in their spare time. Remarkable really.

That's because it's on Regent Street. Rich imbeciles tend to stay in hotels directly on Regent Street.

I just did a search for "b&b london" and found a website called London30.com which has scores of places from 30 quid per person, per night, all in and around the centre, no more than 30 mins walk (most places) or 3 or 4 stops on the tube. Where were you looking for a place at 300 quid a night? The Mandarin Oriental?

I just put 'hotels regent street' in the search engine. Along with 'university of westminster' 'cheap hotels' 'hostels' and 'hotels westminster'. I kept getting Thisislondon or some site with a name like that, listing some listed Georgian and Victorian hotels.

Bloody useless, in point of fact.

I once stayed in a hotel on Regent Street because it was free and I was reviewing it, for one night. It was excellent, and so nice to be able to get up 20 mins before I had to be in work, and there was a Gary Rhodes restaurant downstairs (with quite average food), but meh, I won't be doing it again unless I marry an oil billionaire, which is unlikely.

Here you go:
http://london30.com/

I've been having similar problems finding somewhere to stay, but I'll be wanting slightly longer than the weekend.

I got really lucky last time, and kind of unlucky at the same time. (One really good place for the weekend, and somewhere not so good for the rest of the stay.)

Yes, I was originally wanting longer than just the weekend, but I had to cut back to just the Fri - Mon unless I want to sell a kidney on eBay.

I'll have to do the Ripper exhibition beforehand. On a day trip or something.

Any clues as to whats on each day, have to decide which day I go before I book, I can't afford both...

*update*

1-2 november 10am-5pm
'two days of talks, performances, workshops, exhibits, stalls and screenings in one of londons most historic venues'

featuring:-
full bar and cafe facilities
two continuous streams of talks
fortean publishing workshop with Patrick Huyghe
special panel on spring heeled jack
live parapsychology experiments with the association for the scientific study of anomalous phenomena
dealer room and fortean exhibits

confirmed speakers are:-
Gail-Nina Andereson : dracula's bats
Jan Bondeson : toads in the hole & animal showers
David Clarke : opening britains x-files
Mike Dash : spring-heeled jack
Jon Downes : re-evaluating chupacabra
Patrick Huyghe : ufos & national security
Theo Paijmans : the woman in black
Ian Simmons : extraterrestrial myths in modern music
Andy Roberts : psychedelia forteana
Mark Pilkington : the minus men
John Lundberg : the minus men
Gordon Rutter : spirit photography
Richard Wiseman : the cottingley fairies
Ivan Mackerle : the golem of prague
Alan Murdie : fatal ghost encounters

more to be announced

Kittie Klaw : is not in the list this issue

tickets available at http://www.forteantimes.com/uncon08
1 day pass £20
2 day pass £36
prices in advance and there is a booking fee

i have just noticed this (click on me, linky, linky!)website. which will hopefully be updated often. also i am in one of the pictures. i can also spy three other board members, no prizes for spotting them or naming them. they may not want to be named :lol:

Well, for those who may be interested, I have just booked my flights to get to London for UnCon.

And some of us only don't want to be named because we're sitting near fLeebLe.

Aww but I wanna know! I'm predicting the guy with the mo and the woman with black hair, both buying books, and one of the judging panel dudes - possibly the bald guy. I'm not going to say who I think they are, but am I right? :D

I don't suppose there's ever going to be an international UnCon? Like, say in for instance, in Australia?

Because 2k is a little much for me to spend on two days talking about bigfoot, much as I would like to :D

The trick is to combine it with doing other stuff.

I go and visit other bits of the UK, and turn up uninvited at strangers' houses.

Alright, seeing as friday night's halloween, what are we doing for it? pre-Uncon thing? last two times have involved a general piss up but the date and that seems to call for something extra ...

what am I saying, I'm going to end up drunk as usual anyway, last time bits of the hotel door fell off in my hands ...
:D

Really do want to go to Uncon, however having never been to the big city, and will be travelling on my own, any advice at this moment would be greatly appreciated. I'm assumiing it would be best to fly to Heathrow? Although I'm not sure I can get a flight from here to there :roll: How would I get to where I'm going, no not a philosophical question!

maureenmac1 said:
I'm assumiing it would be best to fly to Heathrow? Although I'm not sure I can get a flight from here to there :roll: How would I get to where I'm going, no not a philosophical question!
Erm, have you tried a Travel Agent..?

Thanks for the advice folks, , (after checking on line, not the travel agents!)I can't get a direct flight, I would have to go via Edinburgh! Which would you believe is going to take 5 hrs! Allowing for check-in it would be nearer a 7 hour journey, for one that realistically is only an hour-and a half flight. And as for the train fare,I could go on a two week family holiday to the costas for the same price! ;)

Back