• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UnCon 08

Maureen, where are you travelling from? Just make it into a longer trip and it'll be worth it... London has a smattering of other attractions that one could spend a week or a year or ten exploring.

Steveash5 said:
Any clues as to whats on each day, have to decide which day I go before I book, I can't afford both...

Any news on this yet? I'd like to book a day ticket, but want to know what is lined up for each day.

Provisional schedule, as of today, still subject to change:

Saturday 1 Nov

Old Cinema:
10-11: Richard Wiseman – Investigating the Unknown
11-12: David Clarke – Opening Britain’s X-Files
12-13: Jan Bondeson – Toads in the Hole and Animal Rains

14-15: Ivan Mackerle – In Search of the Golem of Prague
15-16: Gail Nina Anderson – Dracula’s Bats
16-17: Spring Heeled Jack Panel (Mike Dash, Theo Paijmans, David Clarke, Alan Murdie)

Fyvie Hall:
Room 2
10-11: Mike Dash – Spring-heeled Jack
11-12: Theo Paijmans – The Woman in Black
12-13: Ian Simmons – Extraterrestrial Mythologies in Modern Music

14-15: Andy Roberts – Psychedelia Forteana
15-16: Peter Brookesmith and Rob Irving – Celine and Julie Go Hoaxing
16-17: Jon Downes – Re-evaluating the Chupacabra

Sunday 2 Nov

Old Cinema:
10-11: Patrick Huyghe – Under the Radar: UFOs and National Security
11-12: Ivan Mackerle – Exploring Siberia’s Valley of Death
12-13: Jan Bondeson – Multiple Births

14-15: Prof Vanessa Toulmin – Peculiar Entertainments: Speciality Acts in Victorian and Edwardian Fairgrounds and Variety Theatres
15-16: Richard Freeman – Search for the Almasty
16-17: Kittie Klaw – Out of the Cabinet: A Burlesque of the Victorian Séance

Fyvie Hall:
10-11: Gordon Rutter – Spirit Photography
11-12: Alan Murdie – Scared to Death: Fatal Encounters with Ghosts
12-13: Gary Lachman – cancelled…

14-15: Patrick Huyghe – Fortean Publishing
15-16: Mark Pilkington/John Lundberg – The Mirage Men
16-17: David Clarke, Andy Roberts & Peter Brookesmith: A Policeman's Lot - The Alan Godfrey Abduction Case

Are tickets still available? I am dying to come but don't have the money right now.

Train tickets booked ... check!
Hotel booked ... check!
Uncon tickets got ... check!

I'm dusting off my topper and preparing for a nice excursion in London.

How will we recognise each other as FTMB members?

Do we need a code? A salute?

We used to have a flag ... seriously :?

Last time someone posted a pub to meet in, and we were fairly easy to spot apparently ;)

circlebeginning said:
How will we recognise each other as FTMB members?

Do we need a code? A salute?
To paraphrase, the late, great, Johnny Cash:

"Well, you wonder why we always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on our backs,
And why does our appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that we have on.
"

:)

Someone suggested we make little lapel badges of our avatars, but I think that was the flag year too...

If anyone is still looking for somewhere to stay and would rather have a hotel than a hostel, I've just booked a room for myself and my husband (whom I met on this very website - remember the chat room?) at a Hilton using this 50%-off deal:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/255096/hilton-50-room-rate-offer-for-weeke/

There were good rates for various Hiltons such as Euston, Kensington, Olympia and Metropole. Good for central London, that is!!!

Timble2 said:
Someone suggested we make little lapel badges of our avatars, but I think that was the flag year too...
I made up FTMB lapel badges that year for my GF and myself, with avatar pics and all. I had nothing to do with the banner, though it was a good idea.

Hang on. Look for anyone who dresses in black at an Uncon! Wait ... we might blend in.

The thing about any Uncon is that you are there because of an interest in the Fortean Times, online or not. So, don't be shy and chat to folk. It is useful to have a "meeting point" such as a flag, sign or whatever but please keep in mind that no one will think it gauche to introduce onesself to complete strangers.
The last time I was at Uncon, those who wished posted photos to make recognition easier. Thus ...
StormyElfy.jpg

Myself and another Fortean!

I have no problem with "new" FTMB'ers introducing themselves at all.

Mine is a pint!

Glad to see you just avoided banging your head in that pic, though must have been a pain trying to get up.

For some reason 'Please mind your head' in conjunction with any kind of Fortean meet struck me as hilarious - absolutely no offence to the peeps in the pic :)

Actually, that pub's using the same colour scheme as my local, which pub is it?

(did anyone see some report on BBC1 news the other morning, I;m sure they were in the Lord John Russell briefly)

H_James said:
Are tickets still available? I am dying to come but don't have the money right now.
Hi guys
does anyone know how sold out or not the event is now?

SoundDust said:
Actually, that pub's using the same colour scheme as my local, which pub is it?

The John Snow in Soho, if I recall correctly.

Just thought people would like to know that since Gary Lachman has had to cancel his UnCon appearance this year we are now looking forward to welcoming Paul Screeton (one-time editor of The Ley Hunter and currently editor of Folklore Frontiers) on Sunday instead.

Paul's talk will be called 'Folklorists and Forteans: Friends or Foes?'

Should be fun!

Uncon

Hey everyone,

If anyone is going to the Mirage Men presentation, would you let me know how it went please? I can't make it out this year.

Thanks

Dr_David_Sutton said:
Just thought people would like to know that since Gary Lachman has had to cancel his UnCon appearance this year we are now looking forward to welcoming Paul Screeton (one-time editor of The Ley Hunter and currently editor of Folklore Frontiers) on Sunday instead.

Should be fun!
I was looking forward to Lachman's talk, but I'll definitely be going this one, instead.

It's a shame a booking agency has been used that doesn't send out tickets. I've now got to make sure I and 5 others (travelling from different parts of the country) are at the door at the same time and that I have photo ID (I've had to cancel and cut up my debit card recently due to a dodgy transaction) so we can all get in. Posted tickets would have been so much more convenient. On top of that, I've been charged a 2 quid admin fee for each ticket.

mutant_camel said:
... On top of that, I've been charged a 2 quid admin fee for each ticket.
Certainly is a lot of money for an E-mail confirmation and no snail-mail hard copy.

A different booking agency, next time, please? :)

Dr_David_Sutton said:

Should be fun!

I'm a long-time fortean and a member of the folklore society so I'd say... friend.

I'll take some rotten cabbages just in case though.

Some extra UnCon info:

Doors will open at 9.00 for early birds, and the Deep End cafe will be open for breakfast, as well as selling a range of food, such as soup (1.75) baguettes and jacket potatoes (2.00) and a hot meal of the day for 3.35 - as well as a range of snacks and drinks (in other words CHEAP! - we get student prices)

Bar will be open from 12 noon to 5.15 - hopefully cheap too!

We're trotting down from Oop North, hitting the Fortean trail then meeting up with willing folk* after the event has closed on Saturday; to drink, eat and etc.

Sunday means much of the same.

Quel Damage!

*This isn't a ristricted or "in folk" meet - it's actually being sociable. Email me/PM me for details.

Stormkhan said:
We're trotting down from Oop North, hitting the Fortean trail then meeting up with willing folk* after the event has closed on Saturday; to drink, eat and etc.

Sunday means much of the same.

Quel Damage!

*This isn't a ristricted or "in folk" meet - it's actually being sociable. Email me/PM me for details.

Can't bloody wait mate, I'll email you my mobile..

Back