• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Uncon 2004 quick summary thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
*stumbles in from a scouting mission*
Mornin' peeps!

On Eversholt Street nearest the Euston Station is the Royal George. Very 70's decoration, standard pub grub, four real ales.

Overlooking the Euston Station bus ranks, The Head of Steam. Up some stairs, this is a fun pub. Four real ales, polybin of cider(!), good pub grub. Quite roomy with a very good non-smoking area, this bar is packed with genuine railway memorabilia. A very good "station" pub ... despite not being attached to the station.

I'd recommend that apres UnCon, we meet up in the Head of Steam and if it's too crowded (Sat/Sun evening?), wobble over to the George. But the Head is well worth a visit!

Good work Storm. Though I notice you didn't scout out wine for Beakboo. ;)
The Head of Steam sounds nice, suitably nerdy, and we'll need a roomy pub if we're not to cause panic and refusal as we did in the Britannia.

I'm sure there'll be a selection of wines, Beak.

This might mean a return visit for me to check. Just to make sure, you understand.
;)

I'll be down in London (should be watching t'News Quiz being recorded too :cool:) by this time next week:D fear.

Stormkhan said:
I'm sure there'll be a selection of wines, Beak.

This might mean a return visit for me to check. Just to make sure, you understand.
;)

while youre doing more research ;) at these establishments.

could you also inquire whether theyll allow a medium (a 1 yd square/open pillow size) sized ftmb flag to be temporary placed in a corner as a meeting/rallying piont for us lot for 2/3 nights? (ill remove it at closing time) also ask if its possible to reserve tables and seats

ill allow you to print the flag designs out (for a pint or two of real ale :D ) to show the staff/management

If all things go to plan, I should be wandering about Heathrow waiting for my luggage this time next week.

That's if Australian Customs, QANTAS, and the staff of Charles Sturt University aren't all still on strike.

Come to think of it, I don't really know why the staff of Charles Sturt University should affect me.

"Yes" to Beaks wine ... they've a small selection of reds 'n' whites.

Sorry, Melf, but "no" to the flag. They reckon that the pub is quite small in relation to station passengers, people waiting for passengers etc. They don't reserve tables because of this nor would they go for even a small flag. But, and this is the sensible bit, they've no objection to people gradually slinking in and meeting up, just as long as non-FTMB peeps don't get annoyed or "pushed out".

They did suggest looking for a pub with a function room ... but couldn't think of a local with one.

I have a ticket and I'm looking forward to discovering the local delicacies. :madeyes:

Mana said:
I have a ticket and I'm looking forward to discovering the local delicacies. :madeyes:

Yes, this Yank is salivating over the prospect of feasting on eel pie & mash.
;)

Ahem.

Question: Here in the states Daylight Time will be ending at 2am local time on Sunday morning the 31st. Is it the same over there? Allowing for an extra hour for fortean revellers to sleep off Saturday night's debauchery.

Truly, a frightening incentive.
:eek:

thanks for trying anyway storm :)

looks like ill just have to use it in the uncon then as a rally piont

It'd be suitably Fortean to use the following infiltration technique...

Agree on a secret handshake, hide a button badge under a jacket lapel or inside the coat. Then two people enter the pub. Buy a drink each and sit down in the corner. Exactly one minute later, two people walk in, buy drinks, approach the first two, exhibit badges and perform strange secret handshakes, sit down. Then another two. Then another two.

Like a virus, the FTMB quietly squeeze out non-badge wearing, non secret handshaking patrons until finally the pub will be ours! The bar staff will be under our direct command! The beer machines are ours to control!

Mwah! Ha! Ha! Ha!
:devil:

This'd give the bar staff something to tell their chums at the next Disinterested Bar Staff Convention held in Harrogate Corporation Baths. perhaps it'd even reach the Fortean Times as a bizarre form of flash mobbing!

Or we could just all wear bunny suits.

As long as I don't ladder my black tights, I look rather fetching in a little fluffy tail, black satin costume and bunny ears.

Did I ever tell you about my fling with Hugh Hefner? Well, it was a little while ago but he said to me ...

I was thinking more of this kind of thing.

(They usually include a hood, though.)

I met some chaps dressed like that last week. At my house. They wanted to have a 'little look around', they said, and took away some of my things.

When I asked why, they said, their friend Legion sent them.......

Storm, what about the waistcoat idea? :)
Aw, go on. ;)

I've just remembered I've been meaning to get a white lab coat for some time. Might see if I can pick one up. Should make me stand out in the crowd.

Don't think I'll have time to have "Kiss the Scientist" embroidered on it.

In Wigmore street, just near Harley street, there's a medical supplies store (excellent for dental equipment, support bandages etc.) I'd bet you could get a white coat there.

I don't doubt it.

The University shop sells them here. Might pop in on Wednesday.

Forgot: Do they have a same day embroidery service?

Or do they just sell those ones that say "The Love Doctor" on the back?

lopaka said:
Here in the states Daylight Time will be ending at 2am local time on Sunday morning the 31st. Is it the same over there? Allowing for an extra hour for fortean revellers to sleep off Saturday night's debauchery.

I believe it is, at about 1:30am theygo back iirc.

hmmmm, the hostel bar stays open till 2am iirc.

hmmmmms thoughtfully

:_pished:

You mean I'll not only have to deal with jet lag but also the hour change? Urgh...

Don't worry, Sal. I volunteer to hold the bucket.

Now, what was it?

Drink the beer, hold the bucket, drink the beer, hold the bucket. drink the beer, look at the bucket, drink the beer, volunteer to hold the bucket, drink the beer, can't find the bucket, drink the beer, wonder why so-and-so is talking to the bottom of the bucket...

Just don't splash the suit and I'll look after you fine.

jima said:
I believe it is, at about 1:30am theygo back iirc.

hmmmm, the hostel bar stays open till 2am iirc.

hmmmmms thoughtfully

:_pished:

And it has £1 a pint binge drinking prices :yeay:

flash's friday before uncon fortean expedition

OK, So hows this?

On the friday before uncon at 11am in front of The London Dungeon. The exhibits there include (in graphic and gory detail aparently) Jack the ripper, ghosts, witches, the apocalypse and just for october there is a tempory exhibition on vampires.

the Dungeon's entrance is located at 28/34 Tooley Street, London SE1 by london bridge tube station on the northan and jubilie lines. the website is here http://www.thedungeons.com/ .

Re: flash's friday before uncon fortean expedition

Lord_Flashheart said:
OK, So hows this?

On the friday before uncon at 11am in front of The London Dungeon. .

Aye, I'll be going:)

HELLO!!!!!

we're at the hostel now, definatly didn't get drunk nd do karaoke last night:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back