• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UnCon 2004 reviews/discussion

Throw said:
Steer clear of the Ship. Now THAT'S a scary boozer. I'll never forget karaoke night...

Easy to blend in though -

"I'll have a pint of lager, packet of cheese 'n' onion and a punch-up with the geezer over there!"

There used to be a nice boozer called the Third Policeman (complete with a bicycle fixed to the ceiling) but it turned "trendy" and changed its name.

Is it now a little restaurant? on the corner near Swan Lane? I went there a couple of times, it's not that bad.

We were moving out of one house in Rotherhithe and into another and decided to go on a big pub crawl to the places we'd studiously avoided thus far, with the Ship being the finale. I don't know why the St Georges flags hung everywhere and grubby teenagers smoking fags and drinking ale didn't put us off, or the evil looks we got (me and my mates, whilst not being what most people would call remotely trendy, looked like we'd chosen Ricardo from the Salon as a style icon, compared to the rest of them, when we walked in) but the sight of local "faces" (all of whom looked either like Arthur Daley or Phil Mitchell) crooning "Kingston Town-ah" made us only want to stay for one pint each.

James H said:
VQ, these trousers are ------------- cool as ---- and I really appreciate them.

I'm glad you liked them.

They look far better on you than they ever did on me but then I'm sure I look better in a verry short PVC dress (re. Friday.) :D

Weird Weekend

Well, it's like an informal Uncon. It starts Friday night, ends Sunday, and there's all kinds of talks, although the bent is naturally towards Cryptozoology. It's held in a rather quaint pub in Exeter, which is haunted by a monk, and apparently has a hidden room somewhere (well, obviously 'somewhere' as it's hidden! :D) Pub does decent ale (I'm told, as I don't drink it) and rather nice food. And it's a great laugh, although I don't drink because I drive there and back. Boo hoo!

CFZ stuff on sale - books, t-shirts etc. And some of the speakers bring there stuff - books, dvds etc - as well.

Great value for money.

Oh, and in previous years there has been a walk about haunted Exeter. Which is always good for a laugh. Especially the catacombs.

The Virgin Queen said:
...I'm sure I look better in a verry short PVC dress (re. Friday.) :D

That dress was killer. And much as I love you I hate you for being slim enough to carry off that dress and the stripey tights.

Anome - the purple angora bustier was safely packed in my suitcase - I was wearing yoga pants and a t-shirt on the plane. I think the chap on the plane was just a creep. I'm a creep magnet, apparently.

outlier said:
Ian Simmons (skinwalkers): Soldiering bravely through a nasty cold, Ian gave what for me was the most interesting talk, a classical fortean piece. If this was in FT, I must have missed it.

Sorry I meant to put the reference into my review and forgot - I've updated it now. Its FT169:44-7.

I had one, but it was on the faulty film reel:rolleyes:

I do seem to have a lot of bruises though, particularly on my back.

... and my toes don't feel to good either, hmmmmm

I don't remember the bloke looking over swans left shoulder being there. Unless he is Mexican Food!:D

Cider, I took a couple looks at that piccy and said "Nah, not my kitchen", because of the fellow looking over Swan's shoulder.

Anyone want to 'fess up to having fun with Photoshop, then?

Hello everyone.
I'm too shy and lurky to have *actually* interacted with any of you but if you saw a small girl with a ridicuously impractical pink coat, it was me.
Fun, wasn't it? Like most others, I think me and him Indoors want to take gail-nina home with us. Did anyone see lloyd pye lurking afterwards? I wanted to ask him about molecular biology (as I have a feeling I might know more about it than he does...hmmm)
Anyhow, facilities were splendid if a little warm, but can we have a lunchhour back next year please? ta.

Silver, if your coat was very bright pink, I not only saw you but almost stopped you to ask where you got that coat!

Next time don't be shy. If I can come 10,000 miles and show off my cleavage, you can screw up the courage to say hi.

Jima, sorry you caught a cold. I may have given it to you, or gotten it from you. I've kinly brought it with me to work and am now sharing with all my co-workers. Aren't I nice? :nooo:

Fallen Angel said:
Jima, sorry you caught a cold. I may have given it to you, or gotten it from you. I've kinly brought it with me to work and am now sharing with all my co-workers. Aren't I nice? :nooo:

if I wasn't still on holiday, I'd be doing the same thing, and trying to make sure certain members of management caught it from me:D

Fallen Angel said:
Next time don't be shy. If I can come 10,000 miles and show off my cleavage, you can screw up the courage to say hi.

And since I'm such a nice guy as to have a built-in anti-dribble filter that allowed Fallen to get away scott free, you are perfectly safe with some male members of the FTMB.

*harumph!*

Bullseye said:
Apologies from me then Fallen;)

All is forgiven my dear. :D

Now this will sound like a horribly guilty follow on, but is entirely innocent: How was it at home when you got in on Sunday?

Yuck! Yuck! Yip! Yip! Chortle!

Alright! I admit that envy plays havoc with my imagination!

Silver Girl said:
Did anyone see lloyd pye lurking afterwards? I wanted to ask him about molecular biology (as I have a feeling I might know more about it than he does...hmmm)
I suspect the typical kindergarten student knows more about it than he does...

Hey, I travelled even further than Fallen (although I didn't expose nearly as much cleavage). I'm disappointed that no women in impractical pink coats said hello. (OK, I don't remember seeing you, but still...)

As for the picture of Swan, it looks like Betty and Barney might have snuck into my luggage. I'll be giving them a severe talking to, once they return my toothbrush.

Yeah, I don't recall any girls in bright pink coats either, perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention...

anome said:
it looks like Betty and Barney might have snuck into my luggage. I'll be giving them a severe talking to, once they return my toothbrush.

Errr, Betty & Barney Rubble or Betty & Barney Hill ????**

And frankly I'm at a loss to decide which I'd find more disturbing

**Coming from Kansas to London and only having travelled the third furthest among FTMBers at UnCon has left my brain even less able of thinking coherently than normal.

lopaka said:
Errr, Betty & Barney Rubble or Betty & Barney Hill ????**

And frankly I'm at a loss to decide which I'd find more disturbing
We've been through all this, they're the Greys that live in my bathroom. They seem to have hidden in my luggage. Good thing I didn't get searched at the airport, then.

Sorry. I know we've been all through this. :) But it appeals-ain't-the-word to my inner-crank that two such iconic American couples from the same early-60's era share the same names. :D

lopaka, why do you think the Flintstones' theme song refers to them as "a modern stone-age family"? They were transported through time, and the names "Betty and Barney" were a hint, a clue, for those in the know.

I can't decide weather it would be tasteful or not to post the photo of me from the hostel whare my 'third leg' is clearly visible :eek:

Back