• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UnCon 2004 reviews/discussion

Okay, so I may have got a bit obsessive about this now, but you'll all just have to deal with it!:D

I've found the other tablet/relief mentioned in the Louvre archives. As far as I can work out (Although you can get some of it in English, most of it is in French, funnily enough!) it was part of an exhibition in 2000/2001 about creation myths and more specifically in the case of the relief, the creation of the seasons. She is identified as Ishtar and they believe that the animals are goats.
This is the piccie in context.
http://www.louvre.fr/archives/expo-temps/expo/01_plus2/index.html

My French is shit, but as far as I can tell, the text says something along the lines of;
" Ishtar is the great goddess of fertility, represented as mistress of the animals. On the plaque the two goats that serve as her pedestal signify fertility. She faces us, wearing a crown (tiara) of horns, the emblem of divinity. She carries a pair of scales, her astral sign. Then it's something about her arms being raised (?)possibly and her being naked. Ishtar is also the goddess of Love whilst at the same time that of War.Therefore she is associated with power over life and death."

The thing that confuses me is that the figure in this relief is incredibly similar to the Burney Relief, yet this plaque appears to have no question mark over her identity. Is this merely one museum deciding to take the plunge and give a positive identification that they really have little evidence for? Plus the Louvre states that a horned crown is a sign of divinity, so if the two plaques show the same person, how can the British Museum suggest that it is a representation of Lillitu? She was a demon, not a god, right?

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, it's just caught my imagination. :cool:

Lord_Flashheart said:
Ah, so that's how you managed to leave, the staff were distracted as you checked out ;)

I'm sure it's a lovely place when they're not strikeing though :)

no, no, you can check out, but you can never leave:D

Cider said:
Then it's something about her arms being raised (?)possibly and her being naked.

It is:

Arms raised she is revealed in all her nudity

The French eh? :rolleyes:

;)

[edit: I just checked the French dictionary and as well as revealed it also has a technical meaning as the unveiling of a statue but I suspect they meant revealed.]

Back