• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UnCon 2004 reviews/discussion

SoundDust

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!

some of us got back to the hostel at about midnight/1am-ish, but they didn't let the people who weren't staying there, in

I can't get to sleep again because some is snoring in the bunk below mine:rolleyes:

met errrrrr..... lots of people whose names I can'rt remember with a hangover at 4am, but they were all nice. Emps is staying at our hostell too:D

this is surprisingly coherent really, but the hostel bars been closed for a while;)

Sounds good, So far! :)

If it weren't for this gammy leg... etc.

Apparently...

The greatest hoax of all time is the one abouthow it's supposed to rain in the London. The weather here has been great since I arrived. :) Ummm...It's been outstanding overalllt. I really enjoyed the Starchild lecture/revival meeting. ;) Fr. Lionel signed a copy of one of his books for me. It's been terrific meeting so many board members!

Guess that's it for now.

Cool,

Lopaka: London is clearly lulling you into a false sense of security...

Next time you step out he door: *torrent*

Am officially jealous - have liased with some others and 3 of us have made pact to fight our way to Uncon next year (if necessary) even if it's held in Papua New Guinea.

I will say that it was lucky the weather has been mild. There is a central courtyard with plenty of tables and chairs which is flanked by corridors containing the bookstalls and the snackbar.
The lecture hall is very well laid out (if a tad on the warm side) with good acoustics and PA system but (and this is quite an important "but") if it started to bucket down, the bookstalls and corridors would become very claustrophobic.

I wonder if there's an indoor "meeting place".

Easy to find, well served otherwise. Pretty damn good.

Loadsa pubs in the neighbourhood too. Apparently. So I've heard. Not that I've looked.

Excellent time was had by Lordshiva. Pity I had to leave in the middle of the Skinwalker Ranch talk - was really gripping and kind of enhanced by spooky delivery. Spent too much cash on books, drank too much coffee, had photo took with orbs and emailed to me later and recognised a few people from their postings on this MB - hello VQ. Did anyone spot me - I was hiding on the uncomfotable seats in the gallery most of the time?

Lionel Fanthorpe was great - a very entertaining person indeed.

Tired but happy. Thanks FT! Pity there weren't more stalls, though.

What did everyone think?

I really enjoyed it, although it would have been nice to have seen you all more (says a self-imposed outcast). VQ, these trousers are motherfucking cool as fuck and I really appreciate them. The talks were not by and large as good as last year although I really liked the Jan Bondesson, Paul Devereux and Andy Roberts: Rev. Fanthorpe was horribly dissapointing, his lecture made no sense at all and he was being way too showbiz personality, and the ectoplasm and starchild ones were hokey (although the latter was strangely transfixing). The secondhand bookstall was fantastic.

jima said:
I can't get to sleep again because some is snoring in the bunk below mine:rolleyes:

apparently, as well as Escargot snoiring, I was snoring really heavily and despite her best efforts I could not be woken - this is despite having "the shit kicked out of me":rolleyes:

I also have to say a big THANKS to Lord Flasheart for organising the hostel:yeay:

I also have to ask: Do you like Shrek?

and: Such a lovely place

and: I can now sleep in a bed where I won't bang my head by accident, or get slapped for snoring:D

thanks to Fallen for the party on friday

that's it Im slightly knackered after having had about 12 hours sleep since thursday:D

that sounds like so much hell and so much fun all at the same time! :D

i'd love to come next year....
hmmm. how many yards sales would that be...?

oh, and sorry for being a bit quiet this evening for a while after uncon, I didn't feel too good for a while after sitting in the same position on the balcony seats for about 3 hours without hardly moving ...

if it's there next year I'm bringign a cushion:)

Fanthorpe was fun though, I have his album on atm:cool:

On a dark desert highway
Cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas
Rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance
I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy, and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night
There she stood in the doorway
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself
This could be Heaven or this could be Hell
Then she lit up a candle
And she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor
I thought I heard them say

Welcome to the
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely place (background)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the
Any time of year
Any time of year (background)
You can find it here
You can find it here

Her mind is Tiffany twisted
She's got the Mercedes bends
She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys
That she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard
Sweet summer sweat
Some dance to remember
Some dance to forget
So I called up the Captain
Please bring me my wine
He said
We haven't had that spirit here since 1969
And still those voices are calling from far away
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say

Welcome to the
Such a lovely Place
Such a lovely Place (background)
Such a lovely face
They're livin' it up at the
What a nice surprise
What a nice surprise (background)
Bring your alibies

Mirrors on the ceiling
Pink champagne on ice
And she said
We are all just prisoners here
Of our own device
And in the master's chambers
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives
But they just can't kill the beast
Last thing I remember
I was running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
Relax said the nightman
We are programed to recieve
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave

Sorry Colin :D

did I mention the fluffy laughing pumpkins?

there's no place like home
there's no place like home

fantastic weekend :D
glad to have met you all :)

I've had a great time and met some lovely peeps at the World Snoring Championships.

I was pleased with my performance overall, although there was some stiff competition from more than one quarter.

Unfair advantage may have been given to certain competitors in the form of 'beer', which when administered in sufficient quantities enables the entrant to quickly attain the correct 'prostrate and gape' position.

This technique, although legal, is frowned upon by the more serious exponents of the craft. The true natural snorer is enviably bone idle, inconsiderate and unconsciously lacking in dignity to a comical degree, and above all needs no artificial aids.

Ladies and gentlemen, there was only one winner this weekend.
I offer my gracious thanks for your support and look forward to defending my title next year.

Just made it back (only two hours after I had to throw escargot off the trian at Crewe) and I won't describe how close a shave it was finding my tickets and getting on the train ;)

I'll compose a review tomorrow when I can compose my thoughts (which seem largely to focus on the fact that my brother has left some crispy honey spare ribs in my microwave as a present) but is was really nice to lose my UnCon cherry and meet some of you - and if they were a representative sample then I'll assume you are all lovely ;)

I'm still suprised how much everyone looks like their avatars - who would have thought that escargot was actually a roadsign and (although I see he has a newish one) fLeebLe was a little monkey with a fez.

I am suprised no one has posted any pics (or is escargot just going through the hundreds she took?) - in fact I am suprised the passing Japanese tourist hasn't posted his pictures yet we should have given him an honorary membership or something ;)

1/2 past 3 am rambleings

Ah, but would he want to join the ForT Malitia Band?

God only knows what he thought he was taking a picture of :eek:

I notice he managed to get a picture of Melf as he went past too though so his didgital camera might mysteriously go missing.

[gloat] I think i may well be the only peron who managed to get the Album signed by both Jon Downes and Lional Fanthorpe [/gloat].

hope colin dosn't have any problems leaving his hotel, I hear they do alow you to check out but get finicky if you try to leave.

Heheheheheheheheh..............:D

Re: 1/2 past 3 am rambleings

Lord_Flashheart said:
hope colin dosn't have any problems leaving his hotel, I hear they do alow you to check out but get finicky if you try to leave.

But its a lovely place, such a lovely place

I'm off up town in a bit to get my photo's developed :)

Go digi, Jima. Orbs, beards, you name it...........:D

I had a great but confusing time. Firstly I kept walking into a road sign, must have been following me or something ha ha! Then my ticket was stolen by a monkey wearing a fez I didn't forget it honest . Then just as I was wondering what to do a small robot walked up and told me he had been sent two by accident. So it all worked out fine in the end.:p

Very much enjoyed the talks. Highlights were the crypto talks, bird footed women, indian rope trick, starchild, skinwalker ranch. In fact nearly all of them.:) (didn't go to them all). And I'm sure everyone else is as keen to see Richard Freeman flopping his great big Mongolian Death Worm onto the table next year as well.:D

Yup, that crew seemed very keen to show us their Mongolian Death Worms, and there may have been some rivalry about whose Death Worm was the biggest. :)

escargot said:
Yup, that crew seemed very keen to show us their Mongolian Death Worms, and there may have been some rivalry about whose Death Worm was the biggest. :)

:laughing:
Wow but cryptozoology sounds like fun though. Can't wait to start reading my chupa book (signed by Jon Downes). Another reason I'm glad I took today off.:p

The other being that my head feels like there's a Frenchman living in it.* I apologise in advance to anyone else who was at Uncon who takes ill in the next couple of weeks :(

*Remembers painkillers in bag*

Thanks Essy, you are in fact a life saver.:)

I would just like to point out to a party who will understand, that being sexually attracted to a gay icon is in not something to be ashamed of, and that you should always feel comfortable with your own sexuality in whatever direction it may lead... even if its away from Kansas

:laughing: Get thee to the 'concidences' thread, Min!

Go to bed with a nice book. You'll soon feel better.

You lucky people. I was all set this year, really wanted to see the Skinwalker Ranch talk. It's worth going just for the books. I can't browse properly unless I can judge a book by its cover. I've been to the venue before for training (work related, I'm not a quaker!, or any other sort of duck) Can anyone provide a summary of the talk please, I'd be ever so grateful.

This is my first post for ages, hello :)

Eh up, Claw.

The Skinwalker talk was very interesting. I was a newbie to the whole Skinwalker thing so don't know if anything fresh was being presented. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will be able to fill you in.

I was highly impressed by the level of scepticism displayed by the audience's questions, though. Some high-quality ungullibility going on there. :)

More photos would have been impressive. But then I would say that, wouldn't I!
*takes photo of own face looking very self-aware*

I materialised at Uncon on the Saturday, much to my own surprise.

Those crazy cryptozoologists! What are they like!

And so bewildered was I by the array of fortean reading matter that I left empty handed in the end.

I had rigged orb photos taken and will be posting them as soon they are emailed to me.

In exchange, I have promised to send ASSAP the BF's impressive OOTE photo. :D

Oh yeah, and here is an example of the terrifyingly 'ard doormen at the Generator who dealt so efficiently with the riffraff at the weekend. :D

A fine figure of a man, I'm sure you'll agree.

Actually, he was grinning cheerfully at the camera until I asked him to look fierce. What a sport. :)

Back