• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UnCon 2004 reviews/discussion

Re: Arseholes

They're also referred to as the Asshole Saga,

They were written by Doctor Xavier Crement (I don't think he was inspiration for Prof Xavier of the X-men).

They're:

Asshole (or A**hole) No More

Asshole For Ever

The Asshole Conspiracy

Links:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0898048044/002-3056649-0408800?v=glance

Book Description
Until recently, it was impossible to find anyone who would take the disease of assholism seriously. Author X. Crement, M.D. corrects this omission with this encyclopedic introduction to the problems of assholism. Written primarily to help recovering assholes become decent human beings once again, A**holes No More has become an underground bestseller. It has been used in police training schools, alcholic recovery programs, and much more.

Cider said:
You're all gits. I had to contend with attempted murder, you lot being rude about my scarf and my subtle new hair colour, and yet I was patience personified.
I don't know who tried to kill you (or was it someone you tried to kill?), and the only thing I said about your hair colour was that it wasn't purple.

I only took the photographs Beak has of you being spanked and/or spanking someone else because Hubcap couldn't get the camera to work.

And I didn't have mine with me.

And I missed the spanking involving Sally.

I'm pretty sure that I didn't spank anyone and I'm damn sure that I didn'y spank sally!:eek!!!!:
:D

But quickly moving on, I've noticed that on David Ickes web site he has a piccie of the Burney Relief and underneath it says " Lilith- Lady of Breasts. The Sumerian goddess, Lilith, known as Lady of the Breasts, was also symbolised as an owl. Lilith is symbolic of the bloodline."

I did make some sarky comment, but on further reading I may have been a bit hasty. I'm just too ready to be rude about Mr. Icke, I guess.:rolleyes:

Well, he does appear to have put them both together in a wierd mish mash. The only reference that I can find to this "Lady of the Breasts" is on his site, but descriptions of Artemis often comment on representations of her with three breasts or wearing a skirt of breasts.

He always does odd things with mythology. IIRC there's very little evidence of Semitic influences on the Greek pantheon, although the impact of Greek thought on Semitic Religions (especially the idea of the Trinity in Christianity) is of quite clear record.

Yep it is Artemis (not Lilith) that is shown with many breasts - there seem to be a number of representaions of her like that:

http://images.google.com/images?q=artemis breasts

Icke has a bee in his bonnet about Lilith because of her connection with the serpent of Eden and therefore the Reptilians (he even refers to the current queen as Lilith). I found a number of references to her through the site search engine but I can't find the mention of the Burney Plaque on his site though - can you point it out?

One thought: the link from the Burney Plaque to Lilith is a little obscure and was made through the ranging and erudite talk of GNA at UnCon. While I suppose it is possible to reach the same point through rampant battiness I wonder i he was there (in disguise) or even reading this thread.

Wooooo David :hello:

Artemis

Emperor said:
Yep it is Artemis (not Lilith) that is shown with many breasts - there seem to be a number of representaions of her like that:

http://images.google.com/images?q=artemis breasts
Some archaeologists are now speculating that the Artemis statues show not breasts (since they lack nipples) but a necklace of bulls' testicles -- showing her power over nature, particularly since the bull was a symbol of strength. What Poseidon (represented by the bull) would make of all this, I don't know.

Maybe this is a dumb question but why a bull? Not very marine is it?

The connection really isn't that obscure. On the British Museum website it suggests that the relief depicts either Ishtar, her sister and rival Ereshkigal or the demoness Lilitu, known as Lilith.

I found the image in an image search for Lilith. It's under Lilith - Lady of Breasts, but doesn't say that the depiction above is the Burney Relief. You know how much of a luddite I am, so I'll just write what it says in the address bar!
http://www.davidicke.net/symbolism/jclicker/series2page17.html

EDIT; I made a link! My God!It's a bloomin' miracle!:D

Cider: Cheers - I meant the link to Artemis with the many breasts is a little obscure but he actually isn't making that link he is just making a cheap reference to her boobs and leaving it there ;)

And congratulations on the link - if you highlight the URL in the address bar you can right click and copy it straight out and paste it in the page (its quicker than typing).

As a "quickie" passing question, Emps, how d'you link several image files on the same posting? I can't figure it out but I'm sure it's been done.

SK: If I understand correctly:

image_one.jpg

image_two.jpg

but inserting images into the main part of your posting is disabled.

Yeah, sorry, the link to Artemis was just a theory what with the owls and breasts.

The other thing that caught my attention on the Icke site is on the next page after the Lady of the Breasts. There appear to be two depictions of the figure in the Burnley Relief. Is one a sketch and one the Burnley? But the one in the middle appears to have a different bottom- by which I mean it doesn't look like she's standing on lions, before you all get smutty!

Actually I get the impression of scorpions, but that would just be painful!

I may no longer have the book, but I seem to remember reading something about Lilith and scopions... I'll have to dig thru the stacks to see if its there.

Cider said:
Yeah, sorry, the link to Artemis was just a theory what with the owls and breasts.

The other thing that caught my attention on the Icke site is on the next page after the Lady of the Breasts. There appear to be two depictions of the figure in the Burnley Relief. Is one a sketch and one the Burnley? But the one in the middle appears to have a different bottom- by which I mean it doesn't look like she's standing on lions, before you all get smutty!

Actually I get the impression of scorpions, but that would just be painful!

Now that is interesting - it looks like a simialr version but it has been cropped so you can't quite see - it looks like the lions might be the other way round and those are their tails. Here is a better quality picture ofthat version of Ishtar (I've attached it for future reference):

http://www.storiadimilano.it/Arte/ishtar.jpg

It actually looks like goats?

[edit: Oh and it appears that version is stored here although it isn't clear from that page:

http://www.storiadimilano.it/Arte/roccabianca.htm ]

Yeah, definitely goats. Or antelopey creatures. But she's wearing exactly the same headdressas the Burnley. It's a shame that you can't see what she's doing with her hands in this one.

Any details on what the stone is? Where and when it was found? I'm surprised that there was no link to it on the BM site.

EDIT. Damn these students! Physick, you got there before me, damn you!:D

Re: Load of bull

Owen whiteoak said:
Most ancient gods tended to have many attributes. Poseidon was also the god of earthquakes, and some reckon that the rumbling of the planet was like the thunder of hooves in a stampede.

http://www.loggia.com/myth/poseidon.html

Hmmm... thanks for that!

I see the link now. Maybe Poseidon did take Atlantis in the shape of the Minoan civilisation :D

Cider said:
Any details on what the stone is? Where and when it was found?

None - it seems to just get mentioned in passing in a discussion of their exhibit on the ancient representation of the stars/zodiac. I would imagine it is on loan from another Italian museum. One of our Italian Forteans may have better luck tracking it down.

And just to confuse the issue, owls are used with Athena/Minerva as well, aren't they?

Ravenstone said:
And, am I missing something, or was someone else at the dreaded Hotel California that I wasn't aware of???

I meant to reply to this sooner. I had booked there, but when I turned up they sent me round the corner to the Hotel Montana instead ;) But a couple I know from the Edinburgh Fortean Society did stay there said they had spoken to you :)

Colin said:
I meant to reply to this sooner. I had booked there, but when I turned up they sent me round the corner to the Hotel Montana instead ;) But a couple I know from the Edinburgh Fortean Society did stay there

Ohhh...do apologise. All I remember from the other guests there (apart from the 4 friends I knew) was they all seemed to be German...

edit Sorry. Me dumbo. We have mutual friends! Say hello next time you see them!

The Montana hotel was alright, although I had no idea what to expect from hotels, as I hadn't been in one since I was wee ;) It was clean enough though, and quiet (on Saturday morning I was woken up by a basketball game in the square outside of all things). The sink/shower was a bit odd though, when I turned it on it was very cold. Then after a few minutes it became very hot, and no longer had any sort of "cold" option, which made having a shower quite painful.

Looks like BBC Radio 7 were at Uncon. They're playing little IHTM style snippets to fill gaps between programmes. Lionel Fanthorpe's on now, talking about the creeping coffins of Barbados.
And now he's gone.
"Snippets" you see.

Ravenstone said:
All I remember is whinging about staff redundancies and striking.

Ah, so that's how you managed to leave, the staff were distracted as you checked out ;)

I'm sure it's a lovely place when they're not strikeing though :)

Back