• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UnCon 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plague Rider said:
Is it generally a sell-out or do they tend to have some tickets on the day?

Last year they had tickets on the day, but I believe they are more expensive

And I presume it's worth the admission price then? I'm just not sure whether to go for both days or just the one.

Just ordered my event ticket from Denis Direct.

Screwed up their demographic thing since I'm not from the UK.

Lord_Flashheart said:
At the generator (the hostel I'm booking, if interested see my sig) the prices are:

The shared fortean dorm: £20 per person per night
a bed in a mixed 14 people dorm: £12.50 pppn
private twin room: £23 pppn
single private room: £37 pppn

The dorm rooms themselves are non smoking, but unlike the YHA you won't be thrown out on the street in the rain if you need a fag because you're aloud to smoke in the bar and the internet room and there are smoking areas in the cafeteria.

Did I mention the £1 a pint bar at the generator too ;)
Cool. Sounds like a bargain Flash. Looking forward to it now. Some of the talks sound really interesting.

The only painful bit for me will be giving up some of my hard earned cash to go on a dirty, late and probably overcrowded train to get there.:grrr: (flying works out just as expensive and just as long with connections etc)

Plague Rider said:
And I presume it's worth the admission price then? I'm just not sure whether to go for both days or just the one.

IMO it was worth the admission price, and on a purely social level it was intriguing to finally meet some of the people I had been talking to for the past 18 months

The talks were on the whole good and informative, they gave an oppotunity to hear some of the theories I had read straight from the horses mouth, and in one case clarified my suspicions of flim-flammery

Good point Stormkhan, re how new people will recognise each other. Is anyone familiar with this new venue? Maybe we can arrange a rallying point and time.

I think that this being Halloween weekend, we should all come as our avatars. And I don't mean wear a small badge of our avatars, I mean actually wear a costume!

Anome will be alright, but what will lopaka do?!:D

That'll be pretty easy for me - big hair and an EEEEEEEEEVVVIIIILLL beard!

Don't fancy wandering around with a target and three arrows sticking out of it !

Yes, that's certainly an EEEEVVIIL beard.:p

Maybe someone should have a nose around the place and see if there's a good meeting place? Perhaps one of the London based bods could do it?* If not, it's a good excuse for me to mooch up and bully Tyger into having a swift half with me!

* On reflection, I'm not sure that this is a good idea. If I remember correctly, Connors scouted out pubs for us to lurk in last year but slinked off when it came to actually drinking with us. He probably saw that he couldn't compete with Swan's good looks. Either that or we scared him.:D

Cider said:
I think that this being Halloween weekend, we should all come as our avatars. And I don't mean wear a small badge of our avatars, I mean actually wear a costume!

Anome will be alright, but what will lopaka do?!:D

runs to shops to find large fluffy toy west-highland terrier

I'll ignore my avatar being different at the moment;)

Cider said:

Hmmm. An interesting idea but...no flippin' way am I appearing in public in the altogether wearing only wings and a leg iron. Sorry.

I would like Dark Detective to show though, in almost any of his avatar incarnations.

Jima, you could just sew it to an Alice band- perfect. And Min, you have to do the dance as well though!

I just have to buy this fetching mask. I could hold up banks and everything!

Fallen Angel said:
An interesting idea but...no flippin' way am I appearing in public in the altogether wearing only wings and a leg iron.
:rofl:
-----------------------
So long as I only have to do the dance on the way in like and not actually permanently I don't mind!:p

I would just have to buy some blue face paint, not much of a costume really.
Oh and I would probably have to bite someone to get the rest of the effect

Fallen Angel said:
Hmmm. An interesting idea but...no flippin' way am I appearing in public in the altogether wearing only wings and a leg iron. Sorry.

Cold shower time again.:eek:

But will you wear the wizardly looking hat? Even with the beard, we might not know you without the hat.

youll know its me fa even with out the pionty hat

You know Fallen, you can't tell that your avatar is nekkid. She could be wearing a sparkley leotard. So you'll be fine!:D

I thought I'd drop in this year. When is it anyway and where? And do you need tickets or can you just materialise and buy a ticket at the door?

Cider said:
You know Fallen, you can't tell that your avatar is nekkid.

You can tell if you get a magnifying glass and look really hard......................yep thats the one, third peg on the right...........

Seriously though, how will us Uncon virgins (feel free to smirk and snigger) know other FTMBers, and where can we meet, and would you want us to ?.:confused:

Of course we want you to Micheal! But you're right we will have to think up a way to make us known to each other. The usual ploy for meets (Holding a copy of the FT) will be pretty useless, I think.:p Someone may have to make a placard.:D

There will be few of us that know each other and may swarm in the tea breaks, but none of us have seen this place before so as yet we can't say where to meet. So, in a way we're all Uncon Virgins this year!

Cider said:
The usual ploy for meets (Holding a copy of the FT) will be pretty useless, I think.:p Someone may have to make a placard.:D

A hahahaha. That is the usual ploy for meets: FT on the table (which often ends up as a huge coaster) and quite rightly would be pretty crap an UnCon. Perhaps we should try the other tac tic: the noisey pissed people in the corner spouting shite. Never fails that one!

If I go as my avatar I'll look like that bloke from Flowered Up. Unfortunately I am unable to post an image of what I mean.
But take it from me. Completely ridiculous!

People can post pictures on the "is there a member photo thread" thread a week before the uncon if you want to be recognised (some board members will probably want to go incogneto I guess) I'll be doing that.

A good place for spotting fellow forteans is the refreshment area and the exits to the lecture halls. There will be 2 lecure halls so you could probably tick around half of the uncon ftmbers off in your michellin eyespy book waiting around them when they chuck out.

By the time the uncon comes uop there will be a place organised local to the venue for the saturday after uncon drinkies so any stragallers can meet us up there :_pished:

Cider said:
Of course we want you to Micheal! But you're right we will have to think up a way to make us known to each other. The usual ploy for meets (Holding a copy of the FT) will be pretty useless, I think.:p Someone may have to make a placard.:D

Melf had the right idea at the end of the last uncon by sugesting we get a little flag to put on the table.

how about something fortean like a red dragon on a white and green background for example? (not because I can easily get my hands on them, oh no ;) )

I could bring my first copy of FT that I got,( issue 60, anyone trump that, smug grin).:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back