• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UnCon 2005

original_fLeebLe

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
i know it is so early on in the year but i demand to know when uncon is this year! i am planning a holiday which is very close to the time of year it was in 2004 and am concerned that i may miss it :(

so is there even any idea whether it will be halloween weekend(29th-30th)or thereabouts? or is it to be moved to a different time altogether? what does the powers that be say?

Yeah! I want to know too ... so I can save up my pennies and hit the book stands bigtime!

If it does, they may be a bit buggered for speakers!!!

quite right, some of us want to see their mongolian death worms ... ;)

Oh dear lord, yes. Richard's going to flop his worm out for us, isn't he? ;)

didn't he suggest it was smaller than some reports have suggested? :hmm:

I couldn't possibly comment. I shall just watch and wonder.

fLeebLe said:
i know it is so early on in the year but i demand to know when uncon is this year! i am planning a holiday which is very close to the time of year it was in 2004 and am concerned that i may miss it :(

so is there even any idea whether it will be halloween weekend(29th-30th)or thereabouts? or is it to be moved to a different time altogether? what does the powers that be say?

bump

UnCon dates

No firm date yet for UnCon 2005. It may well be earlier in the year -- perhaps September or October.

Sorry we can't be more precise.

I will endeavour to keep you informed as soon as we have a provisional time slot.

Thanks Owen. Earlier is good, as it means us non smokers can join the others in the pub more easily, it being possibly warm enough to sit outside.

Good point well put, o Rubberbird. 8)

fLeebLe said:
cheers mr whiteoak :yeay:

You must have a lot of planning to do Fleeble, theres the hot air balloon, watching the Kansas weather patterns for tornados, dropping houses on paople... the list is endless

:twisted:

Might I make a plea on behalf of those of us who have to travel half way around the world to keep it in low season?

I personally don't mind the weather in London at that time of year. It's the smoking that bothers me.

Also, I may have some conflicts as this year I will be a university student again. Even if it is a distance course, I still may have to be near a testing centre. I don't think there is one in London. It would be good to know when UnCon is going to be, so I can see if I will have any conflicts, and make adjustments as required.

*ignores Swan yet again*

*closes eyes then clicks heels together*
there's no place like UnCon
there's no place like UnCon
there's no place like UnCon....

It was a freak of nature that gave such pleasant weather enabling us to sit in the courtyard last time.
Mark ye my words, oh organisers of Uncon! Put not thy faith in British weather! Perhaps hiring a marquee to erect in the open space, jazz quartet in the background, the pop of champagne corks, the chink of glasses, the scream of SHC victims...

Where was I?

Should any of hte powers that be be reading may i recommend the leafy campus of Nottingham University for the venue for next Uncon? It is nothing to do with the fact that i am at Nottingham Uni and have a house very near by or am a cheapskate student who dosn't want to speand loans on going to London :D

is there a Hotel California in Nottingham, do you mean? :p

York would be nice as a venue

You're all more than welcome to stay at Winter Mansions if the need should arise. However, the capacity of said Mansions depends on where I decide to live once the lease on this place is up
;)

Mr Snowman said:
You're all more than welcome to stay at Winter Mansions if the need should arise.

I hear you have to go to the toilet in an ig-loo ;)

Sorry :(

You could always hold it in Australia...

Didn't think you'd go for that.

A more serious recommendation is a venue that allows for nocturnal activities. Having to be out of the Friends' Meeting Place by 6 meant that there was little opportunity to mingle with people other than those you already knew (at least for me), and there was less time to wander around at the stalls.

Also, it gives an opportunity to do something like a quiz night or one of those humorous debates or something.

Although I did think that, on the whole, the venue was pretty good.

Emperor said:
Mr Snowman said:
You're all more than welcome to stay at Winter Mansions if the need should arise.

I hear you have to go to the toilet in an ig-loo ;)

Sorry :(

the walls in there are a funny shade of yellow though ... ;)

Birmingham.

Central for just about everyone, plenty of venues around, plenty of transport, plenty of night-life.

Ravenstone said:
Birmingham.

Central for just about everyone, plenty of venues around, plenty of transport, plenty of night-life.

Alabama? If it's going to be in the states New york City or Chicago I'd think. ;)

(With the exchange rate, a weekend in NYC will cost you-all considerably less than a weekend in London, I'd wager.) :p

2005 is unlikely to happen for me anyway. But it'd be nice if UnCon '06 was held in June so I could do a UnCon in the UK/World Cup in Deutschland double-header.

San Francisco, California. In late September. Gorgeous weather and a fun place to visit. And it's only 1/2 the cost of the same stay in London.

Ravenstone said:
Birmingham.

But it has Digbeth coach station in it :nooo:

Surely the uncon should be held in Europes greatest capital city, you know the one where they do the big concerts, hold the FA cup and leage cup finals and most of the important sporting events, Cardiff.

It is, like birmingham easy to get to from anywhere in the country and also has a large international airport lots of hotels and b&bs, breathtaking scenary, britains largest man made lake, pleanty of places of fortean interest and more tourest attractions locally than london (ranging from world class theame parks like barry island to britains largest and most spectacular show cave network), very few people visit cardiff without enjoying their stay emensely.

(this has been a badly spelt post payed for by the cardiff torisam department)

Back