• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UnCon 2005

Please, please, please, please not mid-to -late September. We're not allowed ANY time off at that time of year. Not even if it's your thirtieth birthday and you need to celebrate in a suitable style.

Anyway, I would like to recommend Canterbury as a wonderful place to hold Uncon 2005. Not only is it full of interesting things to do and see, and brimming with history and forteana, but it means that I don't have to worry about getting time off. 8) And I just know that Uncon wouldn't be the same without me...... :twisted:

And I need to work out who I shall masquerade as this year. Being Tyger Lily was fun, but strangely when I told that nice Mr. Whiteoak that I was Stu Neville, he didn't believe me. :?

anome said:
You could always hold it in Australia...

Does it have to be in the eastern hemisphere? *whine* The Atlantic's not *that* big. *looks hopeful* *ears droop* *walks away muttering about shocking disdain for the colonies*

Mulled Cider said:
And I need to work out who I shall masquerade as this year. Being Tyger Lily was fun, but strangely when I told that nice Mr. Whiteoak that I was Stu Neville, he didn't believe me. :?

Who was that masked woman?

Leaferne said:
anome said:
You could always hold it in Australia...

Does it have to be in the eastern hemisphere? *whine* The Atlantic's not *that* big. *looks hopeful* *ears droop* *walks away muttering about shocking disdain for the colonies*

That'll teach you for chucking all that tea in the sea, having a minor punch-up with our troops and positively being rude about our royal Family.

You can have Fergie though. And the rest of the hangers-on who only get paid to drink and drug themselves into oblivion.

Then again, I'd like an all-expenses-paid beano in New England / Boston. Pay for my tickets and I'll vote for a US venue. Can't say fairer than that, surely?

Right, I'm going to use my psychic powers to predict the dates of this years Uncon. It's coming through........ah...I have it. Uncon 2005 will be held in London on September 17th and 18th.

How do I know? Because that's when the Freshers come and I definitely won't be able to get away. :(

And Emps.....if you don't behave I'll go as you! :twisted:

Not sure how though..........

Fake beard. A fake beard works every time. Oh, and a pair of dark glasses.
Of course, you could try growing a real one...

Grow a real one? You suggesting I'm a bit manly? You do know that there is a list, right? At the moment it's topped by Fleebs and Emps, but there's plenty of room.

Maybe I should do something out of character and behave myself, then I won't need to masquerade as anyone else. :D

Doing something out of character is well within your character, sugardrawers!

What are the chances of that happening, though?

I'm with the Nottingham vote, purely selfish reasons of course, but there is a jolly good ghost walk around Nottingham on saturday nights and it meets at one of the old pubs too. :D

The Isle of Wight. Why not the Isle of Wight. It's heaving with ghosts 'n' stuff!

And they've a good market in garlic. And mead. And real ale. Ohhh, loads of stuff.

I thought halloween was the perfect date for it in all honesty, with the other british fortean event , the CFZ Weird Weekend, being held in the summer then having the uncon at halloweeen breaks up the year quite nicely.

If theres a campsite near the CFZ Wierd Weekend, I'd be happy to take my great big "f**k off"tent, 12 man !, there, 3 bedrooms, so anyone interested in sharing,just let me know .But I aint shareing my bedroom !.well,.............

I really hope it's earlier this year too as I've started paying for my October Whitby weekend already but I'd really love to go to Uncon.

Can I suggest Sheffield (the South Yorkshire one) as a possible venue choice, should it ever change? We've got Ponds Forge, there's the uni buildings of both Sheffield University and Sheffield Hallam University, the Cutler's Hall and various other places. We've got quite a few central hotels too catering for lots of different price brackets and the ones that aren't in the city centre are only a few minutes drive away! We've a decent tram and bus service too and several park and rides along the tram routes.

And I don't even work for Sheffield TI! :D

From the announcement in the editorial of FT, it loks as though they're skipping 2005 and going back to April for 2006.

Timble said:
From the announcement in the editorial of FT, it loks as though they're skipping 2005 and going back to April for 2006.

Ah thats where the memo I missed is!! I don't feel quite so silly for missing it as FT196 hasn't yet popped through my letterbox (although this might be because I've nailed it shut again since the announcement of bipedal octopi).

Tis a pity indeed :(

Hmm, if I can become independently wealthy between now and then I could pull off the UnCon (and see Kew Gardens in spring rather than autumn, etc.)/ World Cup in Germany in June double-header. 8)

The only fly in the ointment of that plan is the "independently wealthy" part. :roll:

{Memo to self: must get the EU passport I'm eligible to hold. Hassle mom for dad's birth/immigration records}

FuManChu said:
Okay then, if there isn't going to be an Uncon this year then we'll have to make our own.

I propose a summer meet in York for any FTMB'ers who are interested.
Make it September/ October and I might be up for it... :)

Timble said:

Looks like Weird Weekend might be the only "official" Fortean thing going this year then.

FuManChu said:
Okay then, if there isn't going to be an Uncon this year then we'll have to make our own.

I propose a summer meet in York for any FTMB'ers who are interested.

why am I suddenly filled with nameless dread?

Back