• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UnCon 2006

ttaarraass said:
I saw that exchange, but I don't think it fell on deaf ears. There's only so many times you can repeat the same thing before there's nothing left to say about the matter... what was he meant to reply? "OK, we'll try that right now, get your measuring kit out!"

I would have thought that "hmmm, yes, that is a good idea - perhaps we should look into that - thanks" would have been a suitable response.

What we got was "errr...I have no idea what you are talking about...but I am struggling to deal with the idea of real science...grannypissial auntypneumatics?...so are you saying the morphing picture isn't enough? Shit! Err..."

In fairness, I guess ones interpretation of the exchange depends on which one you respect more.

zarathustraspake said:
I did think it was funny the way Rat Scabies signed copies of his book with the words "Dan Brown is a tosser".

I was also amused during the evolution vs. intelligent design talk by the way a woman popped up in the questions at the end and said, "I'm an American from the Mid-West and I resent the way you're depicting some of my countrymen as ignorant philistines..." before launching into a defence of Intelligent Design, thus inadvertently proving Ian Simmon's point.

So which is it with you - a hearing problem or a listening problem? That was me and I did NOT launch into a defense of intelligent design or any other doctrine. I simply objected to his trendy but intellectually lazy stereotyping of Midwestern Americans like myself.

It's interesting that you heard just what you wanted to hear. If you're planning to come to Uncon 2008, maybe you should work on your prejudices first. I think you'll get more out of the event that way.

Back