• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Uncon 2007

Still just as far from civilisation :twisted: but at least there would be enough parrots for everyone. :D

Why not try to convince Phil Anschutz and the LA Galaxy to hold it at the Home Depot Center? They seem to be more than willing to foot the bill for expensive UK exports lately. :D

Highgate Cemetary perhaps?

No maybe not...... :oops:
Might get too many gatecrashers...

-

That's a shame. My impression last year was of more empty seats than previously. The good thing about the Euston Road venue was the cafe downstairs and the convenience for trains heading north. The downside - it wasn't very intimate.

Uncon's fine as it is but you have to have a general interest in forteana to take in every talk and it turns into a marathon. Maybe individual rooms for more off-beat stuff might attract. Somewhere in the Midlands or North would be good, possibly in summer with the opportunity to sit outside, chill and chat - not really a possibility in central London.

I hope the main page carries the bad news, soon. I bet a lot of people check in, just to see if the details of the next UnCon are up, yet. :(

I was looking forward to it, as this would have been the first one I've attended in three years. I found the topics in the last few to have been outside my field of interest.

I went to the first uncon all those years ago around 94 or thereabouts and then planned to go every other year.

Went the third year and the fifth..... Never been since :? Mainly as London is a tad expensive. That has to be about 10 years with no Chriswsm @ Uncon :cry:

I would welcome a venue outside of London. How about Butlins in Minehead? What part of the country has the best ghost tours? We could honour Torchwood and do Cardiff ;)

Some of the smaller comic/roleplaying/autoipgraph conventions have had success here in Georgia by converging and becoming giant affairs that bring in multiple, overlapping fanbases. Maybe UnCon could try to allign itself with some other convention that would be a good fit?

gordonrutter said:
drjbrennan said:
I'm determined to go to the next one, is there anywhere I can see photos of previous uncons?

Do a search from the FT Homepage and you should find some.

I think Wikipedia links to most of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UnCon

colpepper1 said:
That's a shame. My impression last year was of more empty seats than previously.

One of them mine :(

--------
On the venue front I think something more central might cut costs and boost attendance. Brum or Manchester would see the best locations outside London.

Mighty_Emperor said:
colpepper1 said:
That's a shame. My impression last year was of more empty seats than previously.

Why's that Emps - I'm sure I remember you saying you'd booked a ticket :)

Mighty_Emperor said:
On the venue front I think something more central might cut costs and boost attendance. Brum or Manchester would see the best locations outside London.

I always think York is a good place - it's central and easy to get to for everyone.

Gordon

gordonrutter said:
Mighty_Emperor said:
colpepper1 said:

Why's that Emps - I'm sure I remember you saying you'd booked a ticket :)

Dunno. I can't seem to remember. That was probably when I was caught up in that whole smoking crack and stealing cars business. Can't have been because I turned up the weekend before, felt silly, went home and was nable to fidn any accomodation the following weekend. Oh no, can't be that. :oops:

gordonrutter said:
Mighty_Emperor said:

I always think York is a good place - it's central and easy to get to for everyone.

Yes another good option. Lots of history.

And on a related note someone has redlinked one Gordon Rutter at Wikipedia:

That someone is called "Mushroomg." Not saying anything mind. :roll:

Mighty_Emperor said:

All part of the global domination plans!

Actually in all seriousness - it was just a trial of editing wikipedia for me as I've never done it before. I've just started a holiday and I might ahve a bash at editing soem entries now - as Emps as pointed out to me there are ones that need editing.

Gordon

gordonrutter said:
Mighty_Emperor said:

Actually in all seriousness - it was just a trial of editing wikipedia for me as I've never done it before.

You'd be suprised by how often people's first edit is connecte with them ;)

I'll have to see who has the most embarassing photography of you to add to it ;)

gordonrutter said:
I've just started a holiday and I might ahve a bash at editing soem entries now - as Emps as pointed out to me there are ones that need editing.

Yes indeed. A lot of the paranormal entries need heavy copy editting and just a nudge to keep the coverage balanced.

Also some things need illustrating where you can help out like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_Glory

Mighty_Emperor said:
gordonrutter said:
Mighty_Emperor said:

Actually in all seriousness - it was just a trial of editing wikipedia for me as I've never done it before.

You'd be suprised by how often people's first edit is connecte with them ;)

I'll have to see who has the most embarassing photography of you to add to it ;)

Thanks to Min for her prompt reponse. That is going to take some beating (which is actually the name of the file) but that doesn't mean people shouldn't try.

Back