• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UnCon 2008 - The Official Suggestions Thread

SoundDust said:
Avoid the Generator, if the late night partying doesn't keep you awake the snoring will.

Not that the snoring kept me awake, mind ...
My snoring might. :madeyes:

After a three way conversation with the boyf and my sister we have the following suggestions:

P.T Barnum and "The Greatest Show on Earth"
The Fiji Mermaid
Spontaneous Human Combustion
The Bermuda Triangle
The Amityville Hauntings
Loch Ness
Monsters in general
Serial Killers - not sure if that's fortean but my sister asked
Zombies
Vampires
General ghosts (famous hauntings, etc)
Poltergeists - particularly The Enfield Poltergeist
Roselyn Chapel
Jack the Ripper
Exorcisms
Trepanning
and finally from the thread I was reading a moment ago - Black Stick Men

and a definate no to Crowley or UFO'S

No matter where or when the Uncon is we will be there, my sister has suggested Ramsgate as a venue but I feel that's more to do with being convenient for her rather than any other factor.

Something for the weekend

LOVE the idea of Grant Morrison - he's interesting on magick and 'visitations'.

What about the guy in May's Fortean Times who's eating irradiated pears? He'd be an interesting talk...

Pietro_Mercurios said:
SoundDust said:
Avoid the Generator, if the late night partying doesn't keep you awake the snoring will.

Not that the snoring kept me awake, mind ...
My snoring might. :madeyes:

Pfft. Amateurs.

I don't know how much speaking he does, but I think it would be fantastic if you could get Colin Wilson as a speaker. Also Rupert Sheldrake.

Delores_de_Syn said:
After a three way conversation with the boyf and my sister we have the following suggestions:

P.T Barnum and "The Greatest Show on Earth"
The Fiji Mermaid
Spontaneous Human Combustion
The Bermuda Triangle
The Amityville Hauntings
Loch Ness
Monsters in general
Serial Killers - not sure if that's fortean but my sister asked
Zombies
Vampires
General ghosts (famous hauntings, etc)
Poltergeists - particularly The Enfield Poltergeist
Roselyn Chapel
Jack the Ripper
Exorcisms
Trepanning
and finally from the thread I was reading a moment ago - Black Stick Men

and a definate no to Crowley or UFO'S

No matter where or when the Uncon is we will be there, my sister has suggested Ramsgate as a venue but I feel that's more to do with being convenient for her rather than any other factor.

Love all of the above suggestions. I would definitely want to go to any of those. Ones that really peak my interest out the above are:

P.T Barnum and "The Greatest Show on Earth", Figi Mermaid, Spontaneous Human Combustion, The Bermuda Triangle, The Amityville Hauntings,
Loch Ness, Monsters in general, vampires, zombies (also werewolves which was not specifically mentioned above), ghosts and poltergeists, and Jack the Ripper.

If the above topics were offered, to me it would totally be worth flying to England from the States to attend...given enough notice of the unconvention (hint, hint). :)

do you have a time machine? if not i doubt there will be an uncon this year, my bet would be on next year.

The next Uncon 2012 should take place in Manchester as we are in an area of:-

The major UFO hotspot of uk (says Jenny Randles)

Most ABCs in the uk in recent years (5 in last 2 years local press)

Most ghosts per square mile in the uk (encyclopedia of hauntings readers digest)

Most legends in uk (encyclopedia of myths and legends readers digest)

Most fey creatures (fairy folk) in uk (encyclopedia of myths and legends readers digest)

Most demon dogs in uk (encyclopedia of myths and legends readers digest)

Most reports of witches in the uk (encyclopedia of myths and legends readers digest)

Most appearences of the devil (encyclopedia of myths and legends readers digest)

Most dinosaur sightings (three is last 5 years local press)

need I go on

So a convention or lecture would be ideal in a part of England where we have so much Fortean activity

One show in Leeds in 20 odd years does not portray the north of Englands rich paranormal past or indeed present.

Uncon

Re: the topic suggestions - I have over the years spoken often and at length on Vampires - usually to anyone who didn't manage to get out of the way fast enough. I rather suspect that this, as with several of the other more general topics, may strike the long-tern regulars as done-to-death. On the other hand, if we have fresh blood coming to the Uncon, is there a case for taking a fresh look at some of these topics? Certainly the way that vampires (and zombies) are perceived continues to change as our culture constantly finds new ways to serve 'em up.

An update on vampirees would be fun, especially why there's move towards, anaemic versions of the mad, bad, and dangerous to know type, making them safe fantasy versions of the real bad boys for young girsl. There's whole sections in bookshops devoted to "paranormal romance" these days.

Back