• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Uncon 2009 - the "official" suggestions thread

It would be helpful for those whom live abroad and would like to attend the unconvention, to have a list of the topics and speakers at least two months before the event. Also, when the Unconvention is advertised, to have a link posted to nearby hotels and b&b's.

agree with the last post - guide to local hotels would be good for us out-of-towners...

or...

sacrifice the ambience of the venue and move to a hotel willing to host the whole event - thus making the crawl from the bar to your bed at 4am a little easier to navigate? it works for other conventions...

GailNina said:
While Halloween feels absurdly right for an Uncon date, there is the problem of cross-over events that will probably attract some of the potential audience/speakers away

For me, Halloween weekend means doing stuff with the kids, which is why I was unable to make last year's UnCon, so I'd have to agree with Gail here - please avoid Halloween weekend in future.

chesterwest said:
agree with the last post - guide to local hotels would be good for us out-of-towners...

or...

sacrifice the ambience of the venue and move to a hotel willing to host the whole event - thus making the crawl from the bar to your bed at 4am a little easier to navigate? it works for other conventions...

I second this - an UnCon in a venue that we could actually stay in overnight would be great and save a lot of additional planning. And it doesn't even have to be a hotel - a university again would have halls etc available outside of term time, so a summer or Christmas time UnCon in a Uni might work?

Not sure about the 4am bit though - with no hotel to return to, a 24 hour bar would be a must! :D

Any idea on dates for this year's UnCon - if there is one? I'm planning my holidays and it would be good to know, as I can combine it with other things I need to do in the capital :)

I'm beginning to think that there won't be an UnCon 2009. I've scoured t'internet and there's no sign of anything. Shame, as for once I was actually planning ahead and could have got time off. Anybody got a definitive answer?

not a definitive answer but considering the last three uncons have been every other year i doubt it will be this year. next year sometime my money is on.

There'd better not be one, I've used up all my holidays now :D

I'm hoping for the second half of next year, as I've just booked a lengthy (and expensive) trip to the US, and I'll need to have at least 6 months to save up for a trip to the UK as well. Or maybe early 2011.

the weekend of the 9th and 10th october 2010 sounds good to me and would please the people who complain about halloween uncons. although if it was the 23rd and 24th it would be a full moon :shock: :lol:

original_fLeebLe said:
the weekend of the 9th and 10th october 2010 sounds good to me and would please the people who complain about halloween uncons. although if it was the 23rd and 24th it would be a full moon :shock: :lol:
The weather might be a bit better, too. :)

I would be comfortable with that. I may even be able to afford it.

However, as always, plenty of warning would be appreciated.

For some reason last night I dreamed I was at UnCon, so this morning I logged on to the forum to see if anything was in the pipeline. Sadly not, it seems. Dammit, my subconscious wants an UnCon!

My dream was very accurate, because as usual there were lots of venue problems. In the dream I wandered into where the talks were supposed to be and there was ice skating going on, but then I wandered off for a bit and then came back, and the ice skating had been cleared away and the talks set up.

Whatever the location - and might I say that the very central location was outstanding - I agree that the residence of attendees is important.

If you expect attendees to come from all over the country - perhaps even the world - then even a "rough guide" to accomodation wouldn't be hard to publish. It isn't outside the bounds of imagination - considering the numbers involved - that the FT could organise a discount with a nearby hostelry if they, possibly, book tickets to the Uncon using the the same reference as entrance to the event.

Back