• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Uncon 2015/2016

if it does happen i hope they let us know soon so i can keep some holidays free

I don't think we will see another UnCon soon, folks. Sure, I hope we will - don't we all - but it does not make any money and on top of that is hard to organize.

I'm struggling with this relation. When I met FT, it was a pretty young woman with freckles and a keen intellect. I loved her dearly. She was full of surprises, well written and driven by passion. But after 30 years of being married to her - well, I don't know. Gone are the days of wonder: UFO's - once her favourite pasttime - aren't all that hip anymore and she's now sure they don't exist. She took up this weird crave for old police news and suddenly is all into gaming and other mainstream fun. And our yearly outings - well.. they're too expensive. "And we're always doing the same things there anyway".

Maybe it's the struggle for life. I mean, we all have to make money and that smothers the inspiration, it's a well known fact.

Well, it's a bit late for us to separate now - there are still many good things we share. So, I'll stay with her, I guess, hoping for the miracle of returning love and if that does not happen- well, sometimes good enough is just that.

Ooh @fortean666 , a very well-written précis of our marriage, indeed. But: there is more than a spark that remains there, keeping our collective hopes (if not high) certainly afloat.

The fence indeed is perhaps more firmly sat upon than once it was, and the high standards of editorial balance and detachment are disgracefully-consistent. I sometimes think that New Scientist or peered journals occasionally will show a more partisan and daring lack of rigour than the measured deadpan style normally displayed by our dear old FT (and I was there, as a consumer/contributor, even before FT1).

Flawed: sometimes, yes, but what isn't? I do have a personal dislike of any FT monothematic editions, as I feel even a couple of linked articles in the same edition may be one story beyond the perfect hybidised cornucopia we (sorry, I) prefer.

And expensive Uncons...why so? Costs of top-billing 'turns'?

Well pub crawls have worked very well in the past.

Agreed. London based? Might mean some can't afford the crawl and the over night....though that said...I have couch!

For some reason I read that as 'I have conch' and was wondering why blowing a shell would resolve the accommodation situation.....

Anyway as you were.

Isn't the one with the conch in charge?

I share Mr Norrell's distrust of London, and instead nominate his stomping ground of York. It's a suitably Fortean place, and the beer should be both better and cheaper than in London. Edinburgh surely can also stake a strong claim, at least in the Fortean stakes - could we get a group discount for the tour of Mary King's Close?

I've always wanted to go to one of these. I could scrape up the money for a train ticket, but not for accommodation. Perhaps it could be held in Norwich?

Edinburgh's a good idea....I have a couch in Glasgow as well....but no conch.

Leicester is the obvious choice, what with it being at the centre of the country and amply served by transport hubs!

ramonmercado said:
But I adore dancing to ABBA in an ironic manner.
Potentially risky, because if you accidently danced in an ironic manner ironically, that could cancel out. And then you'd be actually dancing to ABBA, in a non-ironic mode. Which would be so ironic.

CarlosTheDJ said:
#hipstamod
Might this be a cross between Fatboy Slim and Baggy Trousers? I used to know nothing about contemporary media/social references, but now all that wealth of knowledge has fallen away from me. Honestly, worse than a High Court judge, I am. What is this 'Leicester' of which you speak?

Is there one this year? If so, I need to book my holidays!

Chance would be a thing of fineness. I have work stretching out for me, foreverafter, and no beer-pennies. It's a good thing I've got this forum, to supply magical distractive remotivation.

I have a newish job, some money that I'm always too busy working to spend, and this place.

Oh yeah, and Techy, with 'is bad knee.

I see Mooks is already taking applications for early-bird registration.

Last edited:
Krepostnoi said:
I see Mooks is already taking applications for early-bird registration.
Ah, gotcha, so that cave will also be the Unconvenue. That will be very...cramped!

Ah, gotcha, so that cave will also be the Unconvenue. That will be very...cramped!

I dont think being cramped will bother you. I have my suspicions about Mr Moos and his offers of help and salvation. For all we know he could be a modern day Sweeney Todd. Remember folks, you read it here first and if Mooks does start a Let me cut your hair thread - RUN!

Back