• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UnCon 2017

fortean666

Fresh Blood
Either I missed it, it may even have been held in another dimension - or we simply did not have an UnCon this year. That's, in as far as I recall, 5 years of bitter withdrawal symptoms here. And actually, it's worse than just another ordinary fortean addiction (cheese and beer come to mind) - it's not getting any better with time.

We need a fecking UnCon, folks. I'm currently drooling from the left corner of the mouth and my eyes are all watery. Craving for a decent lecture about some talking mongoose, or a guy from Kumburgaz, a psychopath with a lantern or a decent show of naked women, if we HAVE to. Invite the Scole folks, whatever happened to the Warminster mystery, is that house still (dis)appearing and what's up with the subterraneans? My head aches, my limbs are hurting - withdrawal!

FT staff, for Petes sake - or any other saint, including Nicolas, the patron of sailors and hookers - my suffering should suffice to sway y'all into UnCon organising frenzies. Enough is enough, I can't stand it anymore.

So, either FT organises it, or we do, I say!

Now, I'm a student in London - last year this year - and perhaps my University would consider hosting us. Not really central London, but good premises, nice old building, role model for the Potter movies and all. I haven't asked yet, because I'm not sure if FT organises anything this year. But if they don't, well, I might ask.

Who(m) else is interested, has a decent network (as in: social) and is willing to help?

Last edited:
we did talk about arranging our own uncon a few years ago,in york i think, but at the thought of being murdered in each others beds we backed down

In the face of no UnCon this year (and I've been saving my pennies), I bought bulk supplies of black jelly beans, extra strength tea and re-read old copies of FT (binge reading Hierophant is fun!)

we did talk about arranging our own uncon a few years ago,in york i think, but at the thought of being murdered in each others beds we backed down

As I recoll, when I was thinking about organising something in York, the suggestion was that everyone would end up skinned and buggered. :twisted::rofl:

Sadly I had too much crap going on at the time to get my act together.

And Weird Weekend Scandinavia will be starting in Copenhagen next year.

The possibility of an unofficial uncon in Newcastle in September has been raised on facebook

Hmm...would love to go to something like that. Realistically Newcastle is a bit of a distance from me.

i would be up for it, and maybe even fit in a ghost hunt at the castle in newcastle...

It's a lot to organise of course, but Uncon always seemed worthwhile and kept FT itself at the centre of the Fortean world. Can't recall any specific reason why it all ended. Alas, FT and its readership are missing out!

It's a lot to organise of course, but Uncon always seemed worthwhile and kept FT itself at the centre of the Fortean world. Can't recall any specific reason why it all ended. Alas, FT and its readership are missing out!

It was big in it's day, but you get the feeling that the people running the magazine have sort of run out of steam with the idea.

It was big in it's day, but you get the feeling that the people running the magazine have sort of run out of steam with the idea.
It's what happens when the day-to-day is handed over to practical people, but ones of more limited daring and imagination. Sad.

The publisher is the one holding tight to the purse strings, not the magazine. Bigly tight.

Last edited:
I loved reading about the Uncons as a young man but, being so young, never got to any.

Now I would absolutely love to go.

Seems a shame that the paranormal convention circuit in the States is absolutely huge but here...to my knowledge is pretty much negligible and yet many of the top speakers at the American ones are British writers and researchers.

Does anyone know of any such conventions that happen in the UK?

I loved reading about the Uncons as a young man but, being so young, never got to any.

Now I would absolutely love to go.

Seems a shame that the paranormal convention circuit in the States is absolutely huge but here...to my knowledge is pretty much negligible and yet many of the top speakers at the American ones are British writers and researchers.

Does anyone know of any such conventions that happen in the UK?

Weird Weekend North
http://glenvaudrey.wixsite.com/weird-weekend-north

Weird Weekend North

Huh, thanks for that. Looks good- and I'm always up for some Mongolian Death Worm action too ;) Really good value too.

Probably a little early in the year for me though. And they need to sort their website out - proper amateur. Makes me think I'd pitch up there and it would just be some Nigerian there wanting my £12 :p

Probably a little early in the year for me though.
Are you a leguminous ground crop?

And they need to sort their website out - proper amateur
It is ultra-amateur. The very peak of 1990s hand-crafted HTML, made from flattened beercans and pipecleaners. I was expecting a gratuitous refresh tag, and a tuneless MIDI segment on the wrong cue.

It is ultra-amateur. The very peak of 1990s hand-crafted HTML, made from flattened beercans and pipecleaners. I was expecting a gratuitous refresh tag, and a tuneless MIDI segment on the wrong cue.
I like hand crafted HTML. :)

I have nothing to do with the site, i'm just a speaker (though I co-ran the orgional Devon based Weird Weekend). Last year's event was great (and included a letter supposedly written by a ghost!)and there are some ace speakers on this year.

So, let's see - still no news about an official UnCon, right? I will poke the folks at FT, see what they have to say..

Please do - I went to the 2011 and was very shy - I'm better now.

York would suit me nicely though, buggered and skinned doesn't sound too bad.

Back