• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UnConvention 2004: Wish List

A

Anonymous

Bit early, perhaps, but...

What, and who, would people like to see at the next UnCon?

I'd like them to move it to an ancient University town (Oxford?), instead of London, next year, or somewhere like York. Old with a lot of history and ghosts.

Using a university campus, during a half term break (October, November?) and making some (student?) accomodation available.

Extended into the evenings with ghost and alternative history tours and haunted pub walks.

Professor Ronald Hutton, would be top choice for a star guest talker.

Also Jos Whedon.

Oh, yes, away from London. Why should everything be in London?

York would be nice, as it's less than an hour's drive from where I live (aren't I unselfish??)

Andro's idea about student accommodation is a good one!

And I'm sure some of our board members would make very good speakers on their chosen subjects - many people are most erudite.

Oh, and Beakboo selling her jewellery!

Carole

York would be nice, because I'm not that far from there:)

or sheffield

I quite fancy going to York. If only to see the huge Viking poo. You're right, why should everything be in London? It's expensive, polluted and choked with traffic.

And there's a Tap and Spile there too . . . and we could go on the ghost walk for a laugh, and there's lots of nice shops, and there's the York Dungeon to cheer us up, and river cruises, and tourist open topped buses and Quality Street in the museum. Ooh, we could have a lovely weekend in York, all of us . . .

If FT won't play ball, then hell, let's stage our own Uncon!

I'll be going to the official one as well though....

Yes . . . or even the FT Message Board Alternative UnCon . . .

Carole

AndroMan said:
I'd like them to move it to an ancient University town (Oxford?), instead of London, next year, or somewhere like York. Old with a lot of history and ghosts.

Er...and London isn't old and has no ghosts I suppose (says Jerry, who lives in one London area of Fortean occurance!)...? ;)

Re: Re: UnConvention 2004: Wish List

JerryB said:
Er...and London isn't old and has no ghosts I suppose (says Jerry, who lives in one London area of Fortean occurance!)...? ;)
Certainly is, of course. But, it's also a megalopolis of extraordinary scope and too distracting (and expensive). I was thinking of a place more encompassable, in a weekend.

I only have one real wish for UnCon next year. That I get there.

I'd kind of like to see it in the Commonwealth Institute, site of many interesting activities, including the taping of numerous panel games for radio.

Maybe you could organise a separate con, or even just a gathering and a bus trip to some fortean points of interest. I don't think it would be in FT's interest to move UnCon around. (I could be wrong though.)

One day I'll get around to organising my own UnCon like event here. Of course, it will at best be just me, Chanubi, Lauren, and a couple of other Australians whose names I can't recall right now. But it will be a start.

anome said:
I'd kind of like to see it in the Commonwealth Institute, site of many interesting activities, including the taping of numerous panel games for radio.[/SIZE]
I'm hoping to make it to UnCon 2004 too. It would be good if you made it also. :)

The Commonwealth Instute is a lovely piece of British, Modernist, Neo-Brutalism. It looks a lot more useful than it actually is. ;)

AndroMan said:
I'm hoping to make it to UnCon 2004 too. It would be good if you made it also. :)

The Commonwealth Instute is a lovely piece of British, Modernist, Neo-Brutalism. It looks a lot more useful than it actually is. ;)
I used to work in one of Australia's finest examples of Neo-Brutalism. And yet they won't let us tear it down.

Oxford would be a good place. That way I would hardly have to get off my own arse and go to London.

This is how Anarchy and Chaos begin!!

Faggus said:
Oxford would be a good place. That way I would hardly have to get off my own arse and go to London.
And Londoners would have to travel beyond MetroLand and into the World Unknown, beyond the Tube Map! :eek:

anome said:
I only have one real wish for UnCon next year. That I get there.

Same here, mate :)

I nearly made it last year (had tickets, had a cheapish hotel room... also had 'flu); this year just wasn't possible for various reasons. Next year, I am definitely going... you have been warned.

Jane.

York would be an excellent place for a meet. It's more or less equidistant between London and Edinburgh (major strongholds of Fortean Nerds), it's got interesting stuff to do, lots of history, giant Viking poo, good pubs and restaurants I'd imagine. Except for those awkward enough to live in places like Aberdeen and Cornwall, it would be perfect. :)

It's also well served by rail and the hotels/B&Bs are cheaper than Londinium . . .

Carole

Shall we do it then? Late summer? A FTMB weekender? :)

Oooh yes please!

I only got a glimpse of York when trawling all the Uni's and would love to go back for a proper forage. And to explore it froma Fortean perspective would be bliss.

A york meet does sound very tepmting. I don't know it we'll be able to make it this year as we wouldn't have anyone local to look after little 'Aty'..

Re: This is how Anarchy and Chaos begin!!

AndroMan said:
And Londoners would have to travel beyond MetroLand and into the World Unknown, beyond the Tube Map! :eek:

No! Please! There be dragons out there!

Re: Re: This is how Anarchy and Chaos begin!!

lutzman said:
No! Please! There be dragons out there!

and strange people with one giant foot who use it to shade them selves when resting in the midday sun and theres also the people who have no heads but their faces are in the chest

I don't have any specific wants for speakers, but as I get older and more bad tempered, I seem to need better facilities, such as.
1) Proper auditoria, banked seats in an arc with proper environmental controls and audio-visual facilities. A long room with no A/C and wobbly screen and out of focus Overhead projector no no!

2) Proper catering, enough space, enough seats, enough staff behind bar and clearing tables.

3) Proper conferencing facilities, lots of seating for use whilst not attending a lecture, without having to sit on a floor like a vagrant.

I don't think i'm being too fussy?

How about Derren Brown as a speaker? Assuming he survives that Russian Roulette thing.

We have this obsession with London in the UK. Like nothing else exists. Everyone has to work there, and everything has to be based there.

It's crap.

No it's not crap, it's very convenient for me and so therefore brilliant ;)

Thank you, Miss Never-Been-Further-North-Than-Watford-Gap :tongue:

Back