• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UnConvention 2004: Wish List

That's it in a nutshell, beyond Watford there's just a big gap. ;)
Derren Brown, fantastic idea. I wonder if he's a bit expensive for them, but it might tempt more people to go.

yeah watford gap is a large trench designed to keap the londoners in, lest they discover how nice and less hectic the rest of the country is and all move out enmass leaving Englands capital a ghost town apart from the ocasional drunkan MP staggering down oxford street wading through the discarded paper coffie cups with a brace of ladies of negociatable affection in his arms.

If derran brown were to take a lecture he could make up costs by filming it for tv, I guess...

I like the obscure and little-known stuff like Grindell 'Death Ray' Mathews, the Real Sword in the Stone, and from 2002 'The Air Loom'.

For the Fortean film slot, how about 'Alternative 3'. A lot of people won't have seen it, I'd like to see it again.

BTW don't really mind where they hold it.

i would like to see cheaper alcohol for one

cant we hold uncon in a uni rooms for every one etc

How about Keele Uni ?
That's middle of the country'ish - cheap booze (or the union used to be) - and abounds with (alleged) strangeness.
I'll get me coat...

double negation

carole said:
Yes . . . or even the FT Message Board Alternative UnCon . . .

Carole

An alternative alternative convention...surely it'd just be orthodoxy?

Keele

ablufia said:
How about Keele Uni ?
That's middle of the country'ish - cheap booze (or the union used to be) - and abounds with (alleged) strangeness.
I'll get me coat...

Yes, Keele'd be cool. I only live fifteen minutes away :) great student uni, too...

wish list

I don't mind who appears as long as it isn't Kal Korff and his atrocious "research".

Uncon 2004

He's the guy who gave the JFK talk at the last Uncon. It was atrocious and badly researched.

Have a look here:
JFK

He also seems convinced that the fake computer generated ghost heads in the Prague cemetary were real, and he gloated in giving us a real scoop - the 1960s Bigfoot footage was "faked". Well, as if we hadn't heard that one before!

The Grand Dongos Of FT have a title and brand to protect so the chances of them moving Uncon from that God awful concrete monstrosity stuck up the wrong end of Ken Hi St are remote. Cheap beers for us lot is so not on their agenda, selfish alien bothering bastards what they are

Moving the gig to somewhere that is actually geared up for big conventions, like Harrogate or York or anywhere with a big Uni campus just aint going to happen

Wish list?

David Ike, who has been a bit quiet of late

And the PR representatives from the Bildergergers

Next year I shall mainly be going as a representative of the Illuminatii, so thats that sorted

good transport links, cheap accomodation and lots of nice people to push and pull middle aged mobility-wonky women out of the tight spots they get wedged in when trying to stand up too fast!

:D

Kath

bumpity bump!

as a speaker how bout tom slemen?

I like your style there mel... he'd certinly be entertaining :)

the bloke who dealt with the "enfield case" or has he been a speaker before?

if so? how bout peter underwood?

Just wishes, right? They don't have to be realistic?

Okay then, I wish for Van helsing himself, Hugh Jackman ,to do a talk on preparing for his roles of Wolverine and Van Helsing.

Hey, it's educational!

And he could also give a talk on his freakishly small head.

How about the UnCon people pay all my expenses so I can present a speech on something, then have it cancelled at the last minute due to a scheduling clash.

Just while we're on completely unrealistic wishes.

ethelred said:
The Grand Dongos Of FT have a title and brand to protect so the chances of them moving Uncon from that God awful concrete monstrosity stuck up the wrong end of Ken Hi St are remote. Cheap beers for us lot is so not on their agenda, selfish alien bothering bastards what they are

Well this years UnCon will be held at the Friends Meeting House on Euston Road so that's that one.

Derren Brown has been approached in previous years but his schedule has not permitted anything to happen. re Kal Korf - on a personal note - sorry - if it's any consolation I had the pleasure of of telling him one of his talks was half the length he was expecting.

Gordon

anome said:
And he could also give a talk on his freakishly small head.

I saw a making of documentary about van helsing on the sci fi-channel a few days back and they said they had to use a smaller hat for close up shots because the normal one they'd bought (which had been quite fancy and specially made) kept slipping down and falling off because it was too big.

true story that.

he also played the guy sat next to witchdoctor in the waiting room scenes in beatlejuice.

gordonrutter said:
Well this years UnCon will be held at the Friends Meeting House on Euston Road so that's that one.
Just watch you aren't snatched by white slavers on your way there.

;)

Lord_Flashheart said:
true story that.
I know, he's been telling everyone that story. His nickname at school was "Pea-head" because, when he hit his growth spurt, his body filled out, but his head stayed the same size. And if you see him without make-up, it really does look freakishly small.

I, on the other hand, am shorter than my head would suggest. He's got my body, damnit, and I want it back.

I'm not just making this up to put the ladies off their obsession with him. I am trying to put them off their obsession with him, but I'm not making it up.

Maybe he could do a talk on his name. Am I the only person who suffers from an urge to call him Huge Ackman?

The largest Ackman in the Southern Hemisphere?

No, you're not alone.

I reckon Robin Ramsay would be good.

I always enjoy his column in FT, have read his JFK and Conspiracy Pocket Essential Books and saw him recently on a Channel 5 documentary on conspiracies.

He comes across very well - manages to sort the diamonds from the crap in the world of conspiracy (and there is so much crap...). I reckon he has a good dry wit - which would go down well at Uncon.

Just a suggestion.....

Bilderberger said:
I reckon Robin Ramsay would be good.

Further consideration had now led me to thinking that Gordon Ramsay would also be an excellent speaker.

There has never been enough swearing at Uncon - and he could liven things up.

"That SHC is f@cking crap. You've burnt the mid-riff and left the f@cking feet and head raw. You f@cking tw@t. What are you trying to do - f@cking kill me? Get out of my f@cking face before I punch you"

Now heres an idea... what with it being the upteanth aniversary of fortean times this year, It would be good if Bob Ricard himself could give a talk on the most interesting cases ft has reported on and some of his own experiences with the paranormal and some of the people that inhabit it's shadowy depths.

It would be nice if there was something on the rather fortean life and work of Oscar Wilde this year, after all, Oct. 16th is his 150th birthday. Maybe persuade one of the remaining Holland's to give a talk. That would be soooooo cool.
I'm considering approaching FT about an article anyway.
:)

Back