• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unconvention DVD?

taras

Least Haunted
I realise it's a bit late for this year, but is there any chance Unconventions could be made into DVDs for those of us who can't afford/don't have time to go to London? This year's speakers, in particular, look fascinating. I'm pretty sure the technology is now cheap enough to allow this to be done.

I imagine I would pay £20 for a DVD that had all the speakers on it...

This came up in one fo the UnCon threads but it is worth having its own thread.

I suspect that if it isn't in the works then it might be a bit tricky to organise with only a couple of weeks to go (it might also be something that would need to be written into the contracts of those speaking) but it would certianly be something worth thinking about for UnCon 2005.

I'd second that. Many of us have no chance of getting to London and/or affording the travel and accommocation costs etc.

Be a great idea!

Way back in the mists of time it was possible to buy audio tapes of UnCons, this was dropped a long time ago now. The last time Ken Campbell was on his bit was available on dvd shortly afterwards and this could well be the same this time as well.

Gordon

Ages 'n' ages ago, I regularly went to a gaming/scifi convention. They did a VCR tape for every year, including the interviews, charity auction, interviews with individual attendees. I've still got mine with an interview with Ed Bishop (UFO-fame).

With the advent of easily available digital recording and mastering, DVD copying, etc. Surely this would be possible?!

We could video us all being thrown out of the pub afterwards if you like, but i don't imagine you'd pay £20 for it.

£15 ... but only if it's the one with you and Hubcap doing the scene from Dirty Dancing and a voucher for a free kebab!

There were a number of people videoing various talks (I'm sure I saw someone hiding in the rafters over GNA during her talk too but it might have just been shadows) but I'm unsure it was anything official (as I don't think all talks were taped). Anyone know more about these?

I saw a few people dancing about on foot with video cameras, some of them looked like they *could* be official to me, but who knows :) I considered bringing my camcorder, but decided against it as it would just be another pesky thing to lug around (although I could have then created a DVD with it. Perhaps even have had some "special features" like "Spot the Yeti" or someting ;) )

Colin said:
I saw a few people dancing about on foot with video cameras, some of them looked like they *could* be official to me, but who knows :) I considered bringing my camcorder, but decided against it as it would just be another pesky thing to lug around (although I could have then created a DVD with it. Perhaps even have had some "special features" like "Spot the Yeti" or someting ;) )

LOL - like "Where's Wally?". Someone is certianly playing "Spot the Grey" with some UnCon pictures (although some of the grey faces might be due to hangovers I suppose ;)

I'm not sure what the situation is with 'official' UnCon footgae but if there aren't any plans and anyone with footage drops in and says hi I'm sure we could come up with some kind of UnCon bootleg. Possibly as a stepping stone to something more official next year?

Colin said:
Perhaps even have had some "special features" like "Spot the Yeti" or someting ;)

Well if they were making a DVD then extras like interveiws or aditional information or sause materials from the talks would be a welcome inclusion.

The problem, i would guess, with Unconvention DVDs though is that many of the speakers would want a cash kickback too or charge much higher fees if they were to give the rights to ft for the dvds.

uncon dvd

Hi there, maybe if u contact the f.t magazine and ask to be put in touch with the photographers? as one of them had a buddy with him who was filming the whole event. good luck! firefly.

i did wonder why this wasn't being done. when i used to speak at conferences, audio recordings were always made and sold at the conference, then later through the organization. these were always non-profits, so that would be different. i always thought it was rather rude that nobody ever asked if i cared. my concern wouldn't be the money someone might be making, but the good chance that i probably said something incredibly stupid. :D

play dead speaks

Hi there Play dead, just curious as to what you used to speak of at the uncons? Firefly.

firefly: I think PD was speaking about conferences in general and different ones she has spoken at. She hasn't spoken at UnCon (or has kept that one very quiet ;) ).

oops. sorry i didn't clarify, firefly.
i was just talking about conferences in general. the ones i attended were garden variety writers conferences.
it was so long ago that one of my last talks was on research -- and it had nothing to do with the internet, because very few people had internet at the time! :eek!!!!:

Even when I have been to UnCon there were always occasions when your two most favourite speakers were timetabled against each other and I would have been happy to buy a DVD of the talks I missed.
It's a great idea, hope it happens.

I'm bumping this thread as I feel the question of audio recordings is very relevant once again. With Uncon 2008 still 6 months down the line and no speakers as yet confirmed, now would be a good time to research the possibility of marketing, fees, overheads etc. I suspect that some would pay generously for the DVD version - after all the combined cost of travel, accommodation and tickets for those that live any distance would be a hefty sum. It isn't only the cost that keeps many away - there are those with prior commitments and those with health issues.

I'm confident that worldwide the market exists - so what's the verdict this year? :D

Back