• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unconvention: One Talk Cancelled

owenwhiteoak

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Regrettably, Kevin McClure has just told us that he won't be able to give his talk at UnCon.

At very short notice, Rev R Lionel Fanthorpe has nobly stepped in to give a talk, which will probably be on the Knights Templar. This will probably be timed for first thing Sunday morning, as Lionel has other business later that day, hence the first two talks on the programme schedule will be moved back.

Sorry about this, but the best laid plans of mice and forteans...

Owen whiteoak said:
Regrettably, Kevin McClure has just told us that he won't be able to give his talk at UnCon.

What a pity, I can still remember him as 'Trampas', in 'The Virginian' and he was very good in 'The Land That Time Forgot' (1975).

:(

No, that was TROY McClure. :D

No. It was Doug McClure in the Simpsons. Troy McClure was in such classics as The Land That Time Forgot, At The Earths Core (with the excellent Peter Cushing) and I'm an Ex-celebrity, Get Me a Speaking Part!.

Verdamnt! I can only attend on Saturday and'll miss the Revving Rev! I'm currently reading a history of the Templars and would've loved that talk!

Wrong on both McClure counts, Storm.

And that word was 'counts', you'll notice. :D

Dash it all! My attempt at silly humour backfired.

Of course I know Doug McClure was type-cast as the American hero of many cheesy 70's b-movies. I adored At the Earths Core purely for Peter Cushings performance. The reptilian "Blokes in rubber costumes" evil creatures, on the other hand, are worthy of full-contact mockery!

I believe Caroline Munroe was the sultry but artificial-looking love interest.

Duurrrrr, sorry, my irony receptors must have been set at '0'. :D

Was the Troy McClure character a direct spoof of a particular person? I've wondered about that as Doug McClure was possibly the most wooden actor outside Thunderbirds. Used to have 'The Virginian' imposed upon me as a kid and even at that young age I could tell how cr*p he was.

I will be at Uncon, carrying my yellow soft toy snail so you can pick me out. Or more probably head for the door. :eek:

I've always thought that "Troy" was meant to be a parody of Doug. As a nipper, I remember the Virginian with James Drury whose character (name un-remembered) always wore a kinky line in black leather waistcoats.

At UnConvention I shall be wearing a nametag, morning topper and carrying a walking cane (with surprise extras) and a briefcase ... with games. I'm easy to spot. I'm the one who people cut off their own heads just to avoid talking to me.

It's a date, then. ;)

Yup, those leather waistcoats, I'd forgotten them. I must have been very young indeed for that not to register! :)

Had a look at the Virginian website and found that the series was based on a novel. Erm, yes, a western, and yes, in my voracious book-devouring youth, when I read everything in sight, (including the instructions on a condom packet picked up in the street - try explaining how you know how to put one on when you're 12 in 1970!) I certainly did read that book.

Um......you don't have, um, a leather waistcoat, Storm, do you?

Just so I'll recognise you?
No?
.......never mind. :(

I'd love to oblige but my waistcoat is a rather tasteful one in black with gold applique.

scargo. have you not told bf about this then? :eek:

s.kahn. its not in a john virgo stylee then? :D

I know it's a bit off topic but three chears for lionel :yeay:

I've always wanted to see one of his talks and have felt a bit let down not seeing his name on the rostra last uncon and the forthcoming one :)

Yup, that's all very well, but does he wear a leather waistcoat?

Which talk was this? Because Kevin McClure doesn't appear on the timetable on the site. :confused:

And anyone notice that Saturday's timetable doesn't allow for lunch?? :eek!!!!:

I believe it's been mentioned, yes.

I think the McLure talk that had been scheduled was entitled 'Hitler's PR' or somesuch. Someone else on another thread noted the no lunch break thing too, I believe. It IS a bit curious.

Perhaps after preaching at us Sunday morning, Father Lionel (borrowing a page from the Unification Church) might perform a group wedding of Fort cultists? ;) :D

Damn, I'm already married. And i had my eye on so many of you too. :hmph:

Ravenstone said:
Which talk was this? Because Kevin McClure doesn't appear on the timetable on the site. :confused:

And anyone notice that Saturday's timetable doesn't allow for lunch?? :eek!!!!:

The programme shown on the UnCon site did list Kevin McClure's talk until he cancelled it. The web page was changed after I posted this thread. The programme will still start at 10:45 and go through until 5:45.

Apparently, lunch breaks were a luxury introduced when UnCon had two simultaneous programme streams (early UnCon attendees were a hardy, er, hungry breed). In order to squeeze in two full days with only one set of talks, and clear the building by 6:00 p.m. as the Society of Friends require, it was necessary to abandon having a lunch break as such. You'll just have to choose carefully, take a packed lunch, go hungry, or whatever.

Life is hard and then it isn't.

Perhaps I'll faint and someone will call an ambulance because of no lunch (which has happened before). Other times include almost fainting while at University and almost at the top of Ben Nevis, where my friend became very concerned and had to ask random passers by if they had any food (which they did, thankfully). Presumably if I had fainted he'd have had to have phoned for a helicopter to come and extract me from the mountaintop :D

Colin said:
Perhaps I'll faint and someone will call an ambulance because of no lunch (which has happened before). Other times include almost fainting while at University and almost at the top of Ben Nevis, where my friend became very concerned and had to ask random passers by if they had any food (which they did, thankfully). Presumably if I had fainted he'd have had to have phoned for a helicopter to come and extract me from the mountaintop :D
Any resemblance to Scooby Doo, purely coincidental! ;)

Owen whiteoak said:
Apparently, lunch breaks were a luxury introduced when [...].

I've had employers who released memos begining with these words. ;)

UnCon: Weekend of Fun or Dickensian Workhouse? :eek:

(Just kidding. :) Thanks for clarifying things Owen W.)

Owen whiteoak said:
In order to squeeze in two full days with only one set of talks, and clear the building by 6:00 p.m. as the Society of Friends require, it was necessary to abandon having a lunch break as such. You'll just have to choose carefully, take a packed lunch, go hungry, or whatever.

Life is hard and then it isn't.
That's not a very friendly attitude.

Won't they even have porridge available? I'd have thought they'd have sample bags or something.

With an eye on the "main deal", I could make up some sarnies and just after the talk where the speaker is in competiton with all the rumbling tummies, I open my briefcase and become a dealer in foodstuffs.

Food available at UnCon

OK let's go through this again.

You are allowed to eat during unCon. The food police have told us they wouldn't be seen dead at any rotten old fortean event.

The Friends Meeting House does have catering -- I was more concerned with the lack of, say, an hour's break for those who prefer to wander outside to explore the area, breathe the good clean air of Central London etc.

Inside the venue, there is a snack bar:
Tea / coffee 60p
biscuits 40p
soft drinks 50p
Sandwiches £2

and a canteen/restaurant with hot meals:
meat/veggie/salad £4
Soup & roll £1.20
home-made dessert £1.25

which for Central London is pretty OK.

Note - as it is the Society of Friends, the premises are not licensed for alcoholic beverages. Obvious drunkennes will presumably be frowned upon, scowled at etc. and as for human sacrifices, well, that's right out, I'm afraid.

Re: Food available at UnCon

Owen whiteoak said:
and as for human sacrifices, well, that's right out, I'm afraid.

Damn it, already had a couple lined up;) ,leave the sacrificial knife at home then?.

Owen whiteoak said:
Inside the venue, there is a snack bar:
Tea / coffee 60p
biscuits 40p
soft drinks 50p
Sandwiches £2

and a canteen/restaurant with hot meals:
meat/veggie/salad £4
Soup & roll £1.20
home-made dessert £1.25

thats a lot cheaper than the last place :D

Owen whiteoak said:
The food police have told us they wouldn't be seen dead at any rotten old fortean event.

Ohh...undead Food Police. How Fortean! Kewl!

Note - as it is the Society of Friends, the premises are not licensed for alcoholic beverages. Obvious drunkennes will presumably be frowned upon, scowled at etc.

Deary me. I can think of a couple of people who may not be best pleased about that! :D

and as for human sacrifices, well, that's right out, I'm afraid.

Oh c'mon. This is Uncon. Where in the name of Lucifer are we going to find a virgin anyway???

Re: Re: Food available at UnCon

Ravenstone said:
Deary me. I can think of a couple of people who may not be best pleased about that! :D

I'm teetotal, so it's not a problem for me ;)

Oh c'mon. This is Uncon. Where in the name of Lucifer are we going to find a virgin anyway???

Well, there's me :p

But I don't particularly want to be sacrificed :p

Re: Re: Food available at UnCon

Ravenstone said:
Note - as it is the Society of Friends, the premises are not licensed for alcoholic beverages. Obvious drunkennes will presumably be frowned upon, scowled at etc.
Deary me. I can think of a couple of people who may not be best pleased about that! :D[/b]

Dash it all! The lady knows of me already and I've had little time to prepare excuses, alibis, DNA evidence etc.

I'm bringing a digital camera to protect the innocent, confound the guilty and scare the heck out of the Establishment. I am NOT open to bribery or corruption ... however I might be for the right price!

Back