Underground (Miscellaneous: Tunnels, Roads, Bunkers Etc.)

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I really want this...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROC-Nucl...887176?hash=item3427414088:g:9msAAOSwKsRejKc7
ROC Nuclear Bunker Monitoring Post Unique Freehold Land Property Holiday Home

£29,995.00

Relisted due to a timewaster - Anyone hitting 'Buy it Now' will be required to pay a non returnable £1000 deposit via Paypal to secure the deal. If this is not done I will relist the item and block the buyer.

My ROC Bunker has to be sold, ironically because of the pandemic that has just hit us - I now need the money.
I bought this as a project to make into a survivalist holiday home, at the time there was three of us, we now have another addition and so I feel that it is no longer suitable.
The bunker has its own access road (wide enough for a small lorry) made from crushed concrete and parking 'on site'
The hatch is intact and secure as are the vent grills
I have GSM Cellular cameras (remote monitoring) on site along with solar power, 12V & 240v lighting, 240V generator hook up & power
Internally I have a bunkbed that sleeps 3 and converts into a sofa, plus kitchen area, fold down dining table & chairs
The toilet area has a chemical toilet.
The sump pump has been rebuilt and is fully functional
The bunker is register with land registry as "land" and as such there is no council tax
The photos were taken last year, I will update when I get chance after lockdown
Good future development potential
Located near Upwell in Norfolk - No Viewings or trespass without appointment
Plot Size 20 x 26 meters approx + access rd (shown in yellow on aerial shots)
The bunker measures 4.75m x 2.25m x 2.25m High internally approx.
Mains services are located nearby and could be connected if you intend to do so, but it is currently 'off grid'
All subject to contract

Due to a lot of interest I will be holding a viewing day after the present virus situation has eased.

Background
There are just over 1,000 of these iconic underground bunkers left, and it is genuinely a rare thing nowadays for them to come up for sale.
Since the inception of ROC in 1925 as an integral part of the UK air defence system, the primary role of the Royal Observer Corps (ROC) was the recognition and identification of hostile aircraft. With the start of the cold war and the increasing threat of nuclear attack in the 1950’s, the ROC was given the added responsibility of reporting nuclear bursts and monitoring fall-out which necessitated the construction of 1563 underground monitoring posts throughout Great Britain & Northern Ireland. In 1991 it was decided by the Home Office & MOD that the ROC would cease active training and the remaining underground posts were closed at the end of September that year. Most of the posts closed in 1968 reverted back to the original landowners while those closed in 1992 were put out to public tender.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
More pics please. If it is or isn't it's still quite sobering to think that people had to build shelters to protect themselves from being bombed.
Hopefully we’ll have another go at it tomorrow. We have still got bit of the Anderson shelter in our garden but quite a lot of people upgraded. There have been many reports of people finding underground shelters in my area. We are pretty close to London and had a far bit of manufacturing.

Even if we weren’t targeted we might get them dumping the bombs on the way home. It was only a couple of years ago I learnt that a house in the next street had been lost but it had been rebuilt.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Hopefully we’ll have another go at it tomorrow. We have still got bit of the Anderson shelter in our garden but quite a lot of people upgraded. There have been many reports of people finding underground shelters in my area. We are pretty close to London and had a far bit of manufacturing.

Even if we weren’t targeted we might get them dumping the bombs on the way home. It was only a couple of years ago I learnt that a house in the next street had been lost but it had been rebuilt.
Absolutely spot on. Even if it isn't its just part of the amazing mystery of living in a place that has been occupied by other people.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Absolutely spot on. Even if it isn't its just part of the amazing mystery of living in a place that has been occupied by other people.
I do like houses with history. Our house is 1920s so no censuses so far and I think it was built after the 1921 one too. But I have found out who lived here in 1939 when they did the register. However one of them died in Scotland the next year (I did some metaphorical digging as well as real digging on Ancestry) so there could well be completely different people here by then.

There are various of puzzling things to our house. It seems there was some kind of forced air heating system of something, not sure how on earth that worked. When we took down our shed there was a bit of trolley bus under it, luckily it had the vehicles number on it so we knew exactly which one it had come from (the trolley bus had been bombed and rebuilt). So I wonder if it meant something to them.

Attachments

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I do like houses with history. Our house is 1920s so no censuses so far and I think it was built after the 1921 one too. But I have found out who lived here in 1939 when they did the register. However one of them died in Scotland the next year (I did some metaphorical digging as well as real digging on Ancestry) so there could well be completely different people here by then.

There are various of puzzling things to our house. It seems there was some kind of forced air heating system of something, not sure how on earth that worked. When we took down our shed there was a bit of trolley bus under it, luckily it had the vehicles number on it so we knew exactly which one it had come from (the trolley bus had been bombed and rebuilt). So I wonder if it meant something to them.
This is the funny hearing vent thing. Ignore the cable for the Sky in front of it.

41660DF9-9DD0-4389-9407-C8C124FABDBB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
Doesn't look big enough for a heating vent it maybe just a to prevent condensation.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Doesn't look big enough for a heating vent it maybe just a to prevent condensation.
It’s halfway up the wall if that’s any indication what it is. There was a large stand out the back which we assumed was for oil or something.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Coincidentally, I was watching some documentaries last week on the Freeview, 'Yesterday' channel.

If you have access to Freeview Play, search for, 'Secret Nazi Bases' - incredible, related material.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Parts of the trolley bus could have been used to build a passed shed or repair it,
there are still one or two carriages off the old big wheel still doing service round
here as conservatory's or sheds, one is open to the public now and then as I cut
up the remains of a tram that had once been used as a changing room.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Parts of the trolley bus could have been used to build a passed shed or repair it,
there are still one or two carriages off the old big wheel still doing service round
here as conservatory's or sheds, one is open to the public now and then as I cut
up the remains of a tram that had once been used as a changing room.

The trolley bus was right in the foundations. On the plus side we knew the shed wasn’t as old as we thought.

I love trams but a trolly bus is halfway there.

Anyway, we’ve done some more digging and found the other end. It’s 6 foot 2.5 inches long. It doesn’t appear to go off left or right but we plan to dig down the sides in case there is something slightly lower. It’s got us stumped. If it was for something to stand on it’s only got metal at one end, I’d have thought they’d be more if it was holding something still. We have had a bit of dig up one end and as far as we’ve seen the concrete is bloody thick. It’s all very mysterious.

Attachments

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
We’ve found something in the garden
Please can I urge you (and anyone else digging around old buried shelters etc) to be extra careful around anything you can't 100% identify.
On your larger picture it appears to be a sheet of white asbestos that we can see the thin edge of.
That stuff is NOT to be disturbed. It needs to be checked by a qualified asbestos inspector and may require removal by a registered company.
I only know this as I have twice had to go on a (very boring interesting) whole day long asbestos training course.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Please can I urge you (and anyone else digging around old buried shelters etc) to be extra careful around anything you can't 100% identify.
On your larger picture it appears to be a sheet of white asbestos that we can see the thin edge of.
That stuff is NOT to be disturbed. It needs to be checked by a qualified asbestos inspector and may require removal by a registered company.
I only know this as I have twice had to go on a (very boring interesting) whole day long asbestos training course.
Yes we know. We are carefully working around those ends. It’s annoying they are there but we definitely will not be moving them.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The trolley bus was right in the foundations. On the plus side we knew the shed wasn’t as old as we thought.

I love trams but a trolly bus is halfway there.

Anyway, we’ve done some more digging and found the other end. It’s 6 foot 2.5 inches long. It doesn’t appear to go off left or right but we plan to dig down the sides in case there is something slightly lower. It’s got us stumped. If it was for something to stand on it’s only got metal at one end, I’d have thought they’d be more if it was holding something still. We have had a bit of dig up one end and as far as we’ve seen the concrete is bloody thick. It’s all very mysterious.

Have you thought to get your local museum involved? Even by phone they would know about the area.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I've older relatives who have worked in the building trade so this is really good advice. Well spotted Trev.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Have you thought to get your local museum involved? Even by phone?
This was years ago. The guy the dig up the history on the Trolly bus got that bit to look after. I’d have loved to keep it but it would only have been shoved in a corner somewhere.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That was a very eagle eye spot by the way. As I’ve said we are being careful. But it is really annoying as we can’t see if there’s anything at the front or back behind it.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Probably just an old septic tank anyway
I wouldn’t think so we’re on the main sewer, we’ve got a man hole in the corner of the garden.

It probably is something disappointing though. Or we may never know. All we want is an air raid shelter like all the other people.:worry:

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Didn't people used to just bury old rubbish in the garden if they had no way to get rid of it?
My cousin found an old cooker buried in her garden!
It could be anything! Keep us updated.:)

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Didn't people used to just bury old rubbish in the garden if they had no way to get rid of it?
My cousin found an old cooker buried in her garden!
It could be anything! Keep us updated.:)
It seems like a lot of work imagine how big a hole you’d have to dig.