Underground (Miscellaneous: Tunnels, Roads, Bunkers Etc.)

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of work imagine how big a hole you’d have to dig.
I know, you'd think it wouldn't be worth the effort. Iirc, and this was 20 years ago, there was also a lot of general rubble too. Someone decades ago made a right mess and just grassed it over.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I wouldn’t think so we’re on the main sewer, we’ve got a man hole in the corner of the garden.

It probably is something disappointing though. Or we may never know. All we want is an air raid shelter like all the other people.:worry:
How old is the house? It may have had a septic tank when it was first built, then got connected to the sewer when the pipes were laid.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well this is what we found today. The first bit was six inches down this was another six and a half inches down. 65695328-A964-4A26-9E3A-3F52539A6D27.jpeg

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well there’s good a bad news. The ‘step’ was a lid to a pile of sh*t. However there’s bits of plastic like carrier bag which means it’s fairly new rubbish. So hopefully there was an older hole. I do keep finding bits of metal so it may still hide a car! Down the hole of sh*t we found the large lumps of metal in the attached pictures. Not sure what they are, they’ve been rolled up. They remind me of large door hinges.

In the good news at the side of said hole there is what looks like a wall which needs further investigating.

I’m not sure if we’ll manage any tomorrow as I have to pop into work, to see how they’ve made it safe for reopening or maybe just to remind me where it is.

Attachments

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well there’s good a bad news. The ‘step’ was a lid to a pile of sh*t. However there’s bits of plastic like carrier bag which means it’s fairly new rubbish. So hopefully there was an older hole. I do keep finding bits of metal so it may still hide a car! Down the hole of sh*t we found the large lumps of metal in the attached pictures. Not sure what they are, they’ve been rolled up. They remind me of large door hinges.

In the good news at the side of said hole there is what looks like a wall which needs further investigating.

I’m not sure if we’ll manage any tomorrow as I have to pop into work, to see how they’ve made it safe for reopening or maybe just to remind me where it is.
So the forum has its very own Oak Island Money Pit!

Keep digging!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

I guess that must have been a previous owner's way of disposing of some rubbish. Odd that they'd chuck metal in the hole, rather than sell it to a scrap merchant.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I guess that must have been a previous owner's way of disposing of some rubbish. Odd that they'd chuck metal in the hole, rather than sell it to a scrap merchant.
Not always worth the bother. We found lots of old crap buried in our garden from the 50's and 60's - none of it useful due to the acidity of the soil.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Not always worth the bother. We found lots of old crap buried in our garden from the 50's and 60's - none of it useful due to the acidity of the soil.
We’ve found lots of little bits. But those in my picture were probably decent before they spent probably at lease fifty years in the ground. They even went to the trouble of rolling them up.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well our dig just gets evermore confusing. We found a pipe today that seemed to have old cables in it, (that runs under the path which we thought had been there quite some time). Ok so maybe it was a greenhouse but then why does the concrete base go down at least two foot maybe more? :dunno:

We are going to try a different corner next.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Another day another enigma in our garden. This is a completely different area from last time. It’s one foot four inches down in the corner so far. I’m hoping it’s a swimming pool :rollingw:

I swear the previous owners buried all this stuff just to drive us crazy. :huh:
E417E47A-B84A-487A-910A-85A8BCB083EB.jpeg
3D05C6E9-D528-47F7-8BC2-4F3A0317BFF6.jpeg

Cochise

Never give up, never surrender
Reaction score
Another day another enigma in our garden. This is a completely different area from last time. It’s one foot four inches down in the corner so far. I’m hoping it’s a swimming pool :rollingw:

I swear the previous owners buried all this stuff just to drive us crazy. :huh:View attachment 27434View attachment 27435
I'm just hoping Fred West never did any work in your house.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Have you been over the site with a good metal detector yet? Or better still, a GPR system?
No loads of old bolts and stuff about the place. What’s a GPR?

Edit- I’ve just looked it up. Sounds great looks pricey.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yeah. You could always try and convince the guys at 'Underground Secrets' that you think there is some historically significant artefact under your garden, then they might bring their kit round for a look.
Would love one £800+ to £10,000:eek:

Do you think they hire them out? I think we’ll just need to keep digging.

Shame we didn’t have a break through that would have been a great Father’s Day present for dad.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My local history Facebook site wanted to see my ‘plunder’. I thought you might like to inspect the ‘wonders’ (toot) too.

Attachments

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My local history Facebook site wanted to see my ‘plunder’. I thought you might like to inspect the ‘wonders’ (toot) too.
There are a couple of bits of particular interest. The first looks like a co-op milk bottle but I can’t find any of that design. By the look of the letter placement it looks like ‘co-operative society’.

Also I’m wonder if that dark glass was something photographic.

Attachments