Underground (Miscellaneous: Tunnels, Roads, Bunkers Etc.)

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
There are a couple of bits of particular interest. The first looks like a co-op milk bottle but I can’t find any of that design. By the look of the letter placement it looks like ‘co-operative society’.

Also I’m wonder if that dark glass was something photographic.
I think I’ve found my bottle. Not much help date wise 50-70s. And I could have told you it wasn’t 80s as we moved in 1979 and never threw bits of bottles down a hole.

Attachments

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Well there’s good a bad news. The ‘step’ was a lid to a pile of sh*t. However there’s bits of plastic like carrier bag which means it’s fairly new rubbish. So hopefully there was an older hole. I do keep finding bits of metal so it may still hide a car! Down the hole of sh*t we found the large lumps of metal in the attached pictures. Not sure what they are, they’ve been rolled up. They remind me of large door hinges.

In the good news at the side of said hole there is what looks like a wall which needs further investigating.

I’m not sure if we’ll manage any tomorrow as I have to pop into work, to see how they’ve made it safe for reopening or maybe just to remind me where it is.
I had an idea what the triangular metal things might be. We are an end of terrace and currently have a shed between the front garden and the back. As with most things I don’t know how old it is. But I wonder if these were part of maybe a gate that came before. Actually to give you an idea of the space here’s a picture of the shed.
D9279BD0-33F2-4982-86DF-8C8D5C234168.jpeg

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
E061295A-6089-4FA7-A54C-3DEBF405CE78.jpeg

Not much more to report unfortunately but I was wonder if any of you guys know what this is. It appears to be copper on the outside and it’s quite heavy so could have lead inside.

Last edited by a moderator:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Not much more to report unfortunately but I was wonder if any of you guys know what this is. It appears to be copper on the outside and it’s quite heavy so could have lead inside.
Is it hollow or solid?

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
To me a reminds me of an audio plug.
To me it appears to be a pin extension of the sort inserted into a hole for positioning / assembling / adjusting a structural piece - for example, a pin on the end of a crossbar that can be inserted into one of multiple holes in a larger frame.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I know what the mystery object is. It's a counterbalance weight from inside a 'sash window' frame.
The eyelet is where the rope is attached and the weight is concealed within a box section of the frame. The rope goes up and over a small wheel at the top of the frame and then down to tie on to the top of the moving part of the window.
1593449065536.png

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
I don' think it's a sash weight , all the ones i've seen are cast iron and about 30mm dia and 10 inches long.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I know what the mystery object is. It's a counterbalance weight from inside a 'sash window' frame.
The eyelet is where the rope is attached and the weight is concealed within a box section of the frame. The rope goes up and over a small wheel at the top of the frame and then down to tie on to the top of the moving part of the window.
View attachment 27637
I don' think it's a sash weight , all the ones i've seen are cast iron and about 30mm dia and 10 inches long.
Coypu is right. We still have sash windows and the weights are much chunkier than that.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Me again with another puzzle. We found this in our digging. We have found some things with a slight iridescent sheen but nothing like this. This looks intended to be this way. But to me this style has only been about the last twenty years or so in general production (I know because I love iridescence). If they have broken and buried a Lalique I swear I’ll build a time machine and stop them.

Attachments

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Whatever it is, I think it's past saving!

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Whatever it is, I think it's past saving!
Unfortunately unless I get that time machine. Which would be helpful to see what we are dealing with. My message to them would be ‘Do you not have dustmen?’ I’m pretty certain dustmen/rubbish men have been about for years.

I think it’s an out of place object. Because we never put it in there and the older iridescent stuff doesn’t look like that.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
But to me this style has only been about the last twenty years or so in general production (I know because I love iridescence). If they have broken and buried a Lalique I swear I’ll build a time machine and stop them
An iridescent sheen is a natural effect of chemical processes affecting buried glass. It's a well-known and common feature of excavated glass dating back centuries. It's also been a deliberate surface treatment (for aesthetic effect) in glass production since at least as early as the 19th century.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Me again with another puzzle. We found this in our digging. We have found some things with a slight iridescent sheen but nothing like this. This looks intended to be this way. But to me this style has only been about the last twenty years or so in general production (I know because I love iridescence). If they have broken and buried a Lalique I swear I’ll build a time machine and stop them.
I'm not saying that's Roman, but I have seen ancient Roman glass that had an iridescent sheen to it.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
An iridescent sheen is a natural effect of chemical processes affecting buried glass. It's a well-known and common feature of excavated glass dating back centuries. It's also been a deliberate surface treatment (for aesthetic effect) in glass production since at least as early as the 19th century.
I'm not saying that's Roman, but I have seen ancient Roman glass that had an iridescent sheen to it.
We did find some other bits with slight iridescences but nothing like this. The historical iridescent items I’ve seen has a less uniform iridescence from this.

Attachments

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Looks like mother of pearl, maybe a sea shell.
yep - paua shells. Very common in New Zealand gardens - you can pick them up from a wander on the beach and folk put them in their gardens.

edit: you can put it inside glass.

My wife who has a better degree in this sort of stuff suggests it some random form of iridescent shell in glass not necessarily paua.

Last edited:

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Another day another enigma in our garden. This is a completely different area from last time. It’s one foot four inches down in the corner so far. I’m hoping it’s a swimming pool :rollingw:

I swear the previous owners buried all this stuff just to drive us crazy. :huh:View attachment 27434View attachment 27435
Well we’ve not got a lot further. It doesn’t appear to be an air raid shelter (boo). But what it is has got us stumped. It seems it had been painted so was intended to be seen but it’s well below ground. It’s at least four feet deep. The left hand edge stops (at the side of the picture), we’ve dug down and can’t find any continuation. We don’t know how far it goes to the right (too much flotsam and jetsam) but it seems to go to at least another fence post. There doesn’t seem to be a forward edge on the right hand side. We found some electrics which may have been something connected to it. It’s really got us stumped. If it was a pond or something they’d need to be another edge. We’ve dug in both directions from the broken edge. Why has everything we’ve found got no explanation?

I buried a time capsule in the 90s and we can’t find that either. It’s bad when you can’t even find something you know is there. :headbang:
4AFA71E5-FEBB-4BFB-B272-F8021175307B.jpeg

Attachments

Sid

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
It appears to be the top part of a jar - the rim of which seems to be in view at the top of the piece.