• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Trapped Underground (In Mines, Wells, Caves, Etc.)

thats the St Pete's in Florida, (I made that mistake myself until the wife pointed it out),

I didn't spot it, either. Sorry if I misled anybody. I didn't actually know that there was a St. Petersburg in Florida.

A Spanish diver who survived 60 hours in an underground air pocket has described how he began to hallucinate as the oxygen ran out.

Xisco Gracia became trapped in a cave in Mallorca on Saturday after his oxygen tank malfunctioned.

His diving partner was forced to leave him behind to go in search of help.

But it took more than two days to reach the experienced speleologist and geographer, who was left sitting in the dark alone.

"I lost track of time. I thought it had been five days, too long, so I thought [my friend] could not get out and could not find me," Mr Gracia told Diario de Mallorca [in Spanish].

He added: "After so long breathing an air so charged with carbon dioxide, I sometimes saw some things, like lights or bubbles, and I thought [someone] had come to rescue me - but when they did not arrive, I was discouraged." ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39646386?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Not good fingers crossed for him.
If they can keep him warm and hydrated he stands a fighting chance.

Link with plan. Do we know where the poor man is?

http://www.swcc.org.uk/joomla-swcc/ogof-ffynnon-ddu

1636384867452.png

No they have not given a area just the cave system.

This guy is trapped after being injured hopefully they will get him out.

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2021...ay-at-brecon-beacons-cave-to-save-injured-man

:omr:
He's recovered and is now hoping to save others -
(Safe Guardian link)
Man trapped in Welsh cave for 54 hours joins rescue team that saved him

A man who spent 54 hours trapped in a Welsh cave and thought he was going to die has joined the rescue team that saved his life, in the hope that he might do the same for others.

It took about 300 volunteers from across the country to rescue George Linnane, who broke his arm, ribs and jaw after a fall at Ogof Ffynnon Ddu cave system, in the Brecon Beacons, in November.

The 54-hour-long operation was the longest cave rescue mission in Welsh history, and the 38-year-old told the BBC he felt “lucky to be alive”. His ordeal had not put him off caving in the slightest, though. The engineer, from Bristol, said the sport was part of who he is and he was keen to get back underground as soon as possible.

He has now signed up to volunteer for the South and Mid Wales Cave Rescue Team, who coordinated the operation to save him, “so I can help the next poor soul who finds themselves in that situation”.

... There was a story in the news fairly recently about a man who fell down an old well on his way to get fried chicken or something. I think it was near Houston. People searched for him, but he wasn't found until he lost enough weight that he could reach around and get his cell phone.

The man's name was Kevin Funchess, and he was trapped in a storm sewer drain in Houston. Here's a sample from the transcript of his interview with CNN ...
Houston Man OK Four Days Trapped in Storm Sewer Drain
Aired September 10, 2001 - 16:33 ET

... JOIE CHEN, CNN ANCHOR: Also happening right now: he's recovering from being down and out. Now, this is the top of the storm sewer drain that Kevin Funchess fell into Wednesday night. He got stuck, he couldn't get to his cell phone until Saturday night, when he was finally able to call for help. He's OK now, and Funchess is on telephone line with us now from Houston.

Kevin, can I ask what you were doing? You were running around in the dark?

KEVIN FUNCHESS, TRAPPED IN STORM DRAIN: No, I wasn't running around. I was stuck.

CHEN: Well, how did you get stuck?

FUNCHESS: I was going -- leaving my house, going to the other side of the expressway. There was a Church's Chicken over there, and I wanted something to eat, and I like Church's Chicken. So, walking toward the restaurant, I just walked, and there was no top on the manhole, and fell right down into this hole. ...

CHEN: Now, Kevin, let me ask you this. You had a cell phone, but you couldn't get to it?

FUNCHESS: Yes, it was in my backpack and I had on some gym shorts. Of course, I didn't have pockets. And the way I had fallen, the bag was under my legs and I was kind of pinned in. And my left arm, it wasn't bent behind me, but it was behind me. And I could not -- I didn't have enough room to pull it in front of me. So the only use I had was my right arm. And at the location where the bag was, or the position the bag was in, I could not really pull at it. ...

CHEN: Right, right. Now, look, I need to ask you: You were there from Wednesday until Saturday night, when you finally...

FUNCHESS: No, no. Not Saturday night. It was Saturday noontime. And I finally got a chance, I was able to -- you know, by then I had a lot of numbness in my body.

CHEN: Sure.

FUNCHESS: And I was able to -- I had pulled the bag every day. I pulled the bag and tried to get the bag a little closer. And I finally was able to pull it and hold with it my mouth, and unzip apart and pull the phone out. ...
FULL TRANSCRIPT: http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0109/10/ns.01.html

Moroccan rescuers edge closer to child trapped in well

Moroccan rescue workers on Friday came closer to reaching a young child trapped at the bottom of a well in a delicate operation to dig out large parts of a hillside where there is a risk of landslide.

five-year-old-moroccan-boy-stuck-105ft-deep-well-3-days-rescue-efforts-underway-details.jpg

The five-year old boy, publicly identified only by his first name, Rayan, fell into the well in the northern hill town of Chefchaouen on Tuesday and his plight has gripped the North African country.

"I ask Moroccans to pray for the safe return of my son," Rayan's distraught mother said in footage shown on local media. State news outlet SNRT News quoted a rescuer on Friday saying the boy was still alive.

The well is 32 metres deep and narrows as it descends from its 45cm (18 inches) diameter at the top, which means the rescuers cannot go down themselves to retrieve the child.

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/moroccan-rescuers-edge-closer-child-trapped-well-2022-02-04/

maximus otter

Back