• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Underwater Bells

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I was wondering if anyone here had heard similar legends about under water bell sounds where they live? ..
I used to live in a small town called Oakham near Leicester. There's a large reservoir there called Rutland Water where a town is said to be submerged and " .. on some nights, you can still hear the church bell ring .. " . I now live in Cromer, North Norfolk and have heard the same story (again from locals) concerning the lost town of Shipden, now long lost to the sea through coastal erosion where you can, again, "sometimes still hear the church bell ring at night". I'd like to learn how widespread this ringing bell folklore tale is ;) ..

(thanks in advance) ..

I don't know whether there's a different church in the village sunk beneath Rutland Water, but as far as I'm aware, at least one church there is on a spit of land at the edge of the reservoir. I have heard the stories, but I think such stories are common to sunken village locations.

The Bosham Bell

Bells attract legends, folklore and other myths. Indeed, bells hold a fascination for the imagination because of their holiness and beauty, their power against evil spirits and the slightly eerie sense of mystery that surrounds them. Particularly memorable are the legends of lost church bells and Sussex has its fair share of these, the most famous being that of the 'Bosham Bell', which first appeared in print in the late nineteenth century but is probably much older. There are some variations of detail but the main outline of the tale is this:

In the days of Alfred the Great Bosham was a flourishing port with a fine church and rich monastery; but in those days the Sussex coast was frequently attacked by bands of Viking raiders. One day a Viking ship was sighted making for Bosham harbour and, at this, not only the farmers and fishermen but even the priests and monks fled inland, taking with them whatever valuables they could carry away and abandoning the rest of their goods to fate. So it happened that when the raiders landed they found the church undefended and were able to carry off the great tenor bell, the finest in the whole peal. They lashed it to the cross-benches of their ship and set sail, delighted with their prize.

Meanwhile, the monks crept back to their plundered church. When they saw the enemy making for the open sea they rang the remaining bells, some say in thanksgiving for their own safety but some say in a backwards peal as a solemn curse on the sacrilegious Danes. The ship was nearing the mouth of the estuary when this peal came ringing across the water and at the sound the stolen bell broke loose from its moorings and replied, in a single loud note; then it crashed through the ship's hull, so that bell and ship and men all vanished beneath the waves. There are some, however, who deny that the ship sank; they say its shattered planking closed again at once and not one drop came in - a miracle that converted the heathen Danes on the spot. But all agreed that the bell itself disappeared into the depths, at the spot that is now known as Bosham Deep but was formerly known as Bell Hole. And all agree that whenever the bells ring from Bosham Church the sunken one still answers from beneath the waves.

Now the men of Bosham grieved for their bell and many times tried to recover it but could never do so. At length, centuries after it had first been lost, a man who was knowledgeable about such matters told them that there was one way to raise it but only one. They must find a team of pure white oxen (some say white horses), harness them to the bell and so draw it up on shore. The team was assembled, after much searching; a rope was fastened to the bell and the oxen began to haul. All went well; the shape of the huge bell could be glimpsed as it was gradually drawn into shallow water; then all at once, when it had almost touched land, the rope snapped and the bell rolled back into the depths - for, though nobody had noticed this, on one of the oxen there was a single black hair.

So the Bosham Bell was lost again, this time for good and only its answering note is ever heard. It has more than once been suggested that the 'answer' is in fact an echo thrown back across the harbour from woods on the opposite shore. The legend is well known locally and there is sometimes added to it a little rhyme, the call of the lost bell:

Ye bells of Bosham, ring for me,
For as ye ring, I ring wi' ye.
http://www.boshamtower.org.uk/page7.htm

Similar stories, iirc, about the lost city of Dunwich on the Suffolk coast, and the sunken lands of the Manhood plain near Selsey, west Sussex.

(I may have alluded to the Bosham Bell elsewhere...)

Swifty said:
Thanks all. I've just read this downer ... there might be nothing left in Rutland Water now according to Anglian Water:( (or they just want to prevent people diving there) :

http://www.subaqua.co.uk/List_of_Submerged_Villages

Pity! We always joked we'd dive down there one way (and it was a joke, I don't even swim) and erect a sign on the way into the sunken village saying, "WELCOME TO HAMBLETON - TWINNED WITH ATLANTIS"

PeteByrdie said:
...I have heard the stories, but I think such stories are common to sunken village locations.

Yes, I think so.

The villages of Ashopton and Derwent were demolished during the construction of Ladybower reservoir in Derbyshire. My understanding is that at Ashopton any buildings were reduced to their foundations, but that enough of the basic structure of Derwent remained for it to be visible during the first serious drought after the reservoir's construction.

In this case one aspect which may have aided the legend is that in both villages the religious centre seems to have been demolished last - in fact the clocktower of Derwent church was left standing as a kind of memorial to the village. As far as I can make out it was demolished a couple of years after the valley had been inundated and during that time could still be seen eerily poking out of the waters.

There are a few photos of this on the web, but a couple look faked to me (I'm not even sure one of them is the right spire). However the following is, I suspect, a more reliable source- Derwent, Derbyshire 1947 - British Pathé.

I suppose there is something spooky about water. The idea that the earth continues beneath the surface, but beyond our sight, suggests all manner of possibilities to the superstitious. Didn't many ancient cultures view water as a way to the land of the dead, with the celts seeing the world of the afterlife beyond the surfaces of lakes. The idea of this mysterious otherworld consuming the dwellings of people, as in the case of reservoirs, conjures a particularly unnerving sense that some life continues unseen in the depths. How do we image those artificial lakes took the houses of the families of these towns? Was it allowed to run slowly through the streets, down alleyways, creeping up stonework, running beneath doors and through windows, slowly claiming the works of men with its relentless elemental power? Probably not anything like that, but water's still a bit spooky.

Incidentally, many years ago I inaugurated the Reservoirs thread - which died, peacefully, in its sleep, not very long afterwards.

Spookdaddy, just to say that I found that thread so interesting I bookmarked it, and go back and read it every so often. I do agree with you about the eeriness of reservoirs. We used to go through the Elan Valley in Wales when on our way to the coast, and beautiful as it is those man-made lakes had a completely different atmosphere to the lakes in the Snowdonia mountains.

Spookdaddy said:
...in fact the clocktower of Derwent church was left standing as a kind of memorial to the village. As far as I can make out it was demolished a couple of years after the valley had been inundated and during that time could still be seen eerily poking out of the waters...

I was talking to my mum about this yesterday and she can remember going to look at the spire with my grandfather - she thinks there might be a photo in his stuff somewhere. We're going to try and dig it out.

To be honest, until I'd seen the Pathe footage I would probably have put the whole thing down to UL status - it's quite nice to be proved wrong.

I strongly suspect though that buildings like that were always stripped entirely of their fittings - including the bells. There's always been a market for reclaimed ecclesiastical fittings - I worked on a restoration job on an old meeting house in Edinburgh last year and the pulpit, organ and gallery had all previously served in at least one other location, and in the case of the pulpit and gallery, very possibly two.

The villages of Ashopton and Derwent were demolished during the construction of Ladybower reservoir in Derbyshire. My understanding is that at Ashopton any buildings were reduced to their foundations, but that enough of the basic structure of Derwent remained for it to be visible during the first serious drought after the reservoir's construction.

In this case one aspect which may have aided the legend is that in both villages the religious centre seems to have been demolished last - in fact the clocktower of Derwent church was left standing as a kind of memorial to the village. As far as I can make out it was demolished a couple of years after the valley had been inundated and during that time could still be seen eerily poking out of the waters.

There are a few photos of this on the web, but a couple look faked to me (I'm not even sure one of them is the right spire). However the following is, I suspect, a more reliable source- Derwent, Derbyshire 1947 - British Pathé.

The Ladybower Reservoir's got very low water levels at the moment so Derwent's visible again. Bit dangerous with all the mud but a decent drone could certainly give it a closer look.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-46236792

I think I've previously posted this in another thread but here you go:

I think this Debussy tune refers to these legends.

Last edited:
I'm sure there's an Edgar Allan Poe poem concerning a drowned city in a similar vein to the Bells of Lyonesse.
I might be wrong but it could even have been turned into a film starring Vincent Price; he did make a lot of Poe adaptions in the late 60s.

I'm sure there's an Edgar Allan Poe poem concerning a drowned city in a similar vein to the Bells of Lyonesse.
I might be wrong but it could even have been turned into a film starring Vincent Price; he did make a lot of Poe adaptions in the late 60s.

You're right on both counts ...

The Poe poem was entitled 'The City in the Sea'. The 1965 movie with Vincent Price was entitled 'City in the Sea', but was originally released with the title 'War-Gods of the Deep'. In some markets it was entitled 'The City Under the Sea'.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059895/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The Ladybower Reservoir's got very low water levels at the moment so Derwent's visible again. Bit dangerous with all the mud but a decent drone could certainly give it a closer look.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-46236792

Humans can't be trusted with nice and interesting things.

Graffiti has been scratched on buildings and stones pulled from walls at a rarely seen abandoned village.
"Unprecedented" numbers of visitors have flocked to Ladybower Reservoir in Derbyshire since low water levels revealed the ruins of Derwent.
But park rangers say they have had to stop people trying to remove material from the site.
The Peak District National Park authority said it was shocked by the damage to the "iconic" structures.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-46316985

Humans can't be trusted with nice and interesting things.

Graffiti has been scratched on buildings and stones pulled from walls at a rarely seen abandoned village.
"Unprecedented" numbers of visitors have flocked to Ladybower Reservoir in Derbyshire since low water levels revealed the ruins of Derwent.
But park rangers say they have had to stop people trying to remove material from the site.
The Peak District National Park authority said it was shocked by the damage to the "iconic" structures.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-46316985

I agree that it's interesting, but (from link) -

"There's a fair amount of graffiti and defacement on the ruins. It's a huge part of our history and now 'Cheryl' and 'Steve' have scratched their names in the rock.

'Cheryl' was a much popular name about fifty years ago than it is now. Could we be seeing graffiti that was applied during a previous drought some decades ago?

Also
We urge people to leave these features intact to open a valuable window onto history, not just today, but for future generations to enjoy.

Seems a bit ironic that they're whining about people ruining something that was deliberately destroyed by flooding eighty years ago.

I heard it about Sutton Bingham in Somerset: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Bingham_Reservoir

I have also heard it said about Dunwich too. Odd place to visit, Dunwich.

Underwater archeology at Dunwich has pretty much mapped the entire city (there was talk of planting marker poles so that one could see the street outlays from the beach) - there are no belfries remaining under the sea. Saying that, having night-fished Dunwich Beach many times there is an atmosphere there which is .. uncomfortable.

Another submerged village will possibly emerge from the depths...

The Italian village of Fabbriche di Careggine was founded by a group of blacksmiths in the 13th Century and it became famous for the production of iron.
But in 1947 a hydroelectric dam was built and the residents were moved to the nearby town of Vagli di Sotto.
The beautiful village was then 'lost forever' when it was flooded to create the artificially made Lake Vagli.
Beneath the water the village's stone buildings, cemetery, bridge and church all incredibly remain in tact.
Since the dam's construction, the lake has been emptied only four times for maintenance work. And each time, as the water is drained away, the haunting outline of the village begins to slowly emerge.
The last time the village rose from the deep was in 1994 and thousands of people flocked to Fabbriche di Careggine to walk along its streets.
Pictures taken at the time show its stone houses still standing, the cemetery, the bridge and the Church of St Theodore, with its ruined bell tower.
But now the village looks set to reappear once again, according to the daughter of the ex-mayor of the Municipality of Vagli di Sotto.
Lorenza Giorgi, daughter of Ilio Domenico Giorgi, has claimed in a Facebook post that the lake will be emptied next year.
She wrote: "I inform you that from certain sources I know that next year, in 2021, Lake Vagli will be emptied.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/europe/underwater-ghost-village-frozen-time-22113041

Back