• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Underworld (Movie)

It wasn't called Daughters of Darkness, it was called Twins of Evil.
Thanks! I'm going to try my best to find it.

Bill Paxton has some great lines in 'Near Dark'. My faves are when he tells the little girl in the hotel room, 'We keep odd hours', and before he bites into the bikers neck, 'I hate it when they ain't been shaved!'. Those lines always get a laugh from me.

:smokin:

Although some of the script is damned good i'm not sure i can really say Near Dark is A Good Film in any kind of objective sense - its more than a little cheesy and if i'm going down that road i may as well go the whole hog and watch another comfort film for me: The Lost Boys.

Near Dark's virtually a cast and crew reunion for Aliens though which helps swing my support as it was a childhood favourite. (Did anyone else visit the alien war exhibition/experience in the trocadero centre in London? I went about 5 times...great fun).

Vampires Vs Werewolves got slated in the reviews i've read. Looks pretty, rips off everything - shite plots and characters was pretty much the consensus.

i may as well go the whole hog and watch another comfort film for me: The Lost Boys.
I didn't like the film very much but I remember enjoying the soundtrack quite a bit as a teen.

'People are Strange' The Doors, top toooon.

'People are Strange' The Doors, top toooon.
Yes it is! I like Echo & the Bunnymen's version of it on the soundtrack as well. I liked that song, 'Cry Little Sister' also, but the name of artist escapes me at the moment.

The Yithian said:
Near Dark's virtually a cast and crew reunion for Aliens though which helps swing my support as it was a childhood favourite. (Did anyone else visit the alien war exhibition/experience in the trocadero centre in London? I went about 5 times...great fun).

I went to Alien War when it came to Aberdeen. I liked it, though I very nearly got dragged out of the lift by a Colonial Marine who was being dragged out by an alien.

I could only afford to go once.

Did anyone else hear a FOAF about someon punching one of the actor's in the Alien suits? Was it a FOAF or did it really happen?

Cujo

Alien War/ Underworld

Went to Alien War at the Trocadero-it was great to have a space devoted to one of my all time favorite films. The Shop, Decor , Marines etc. The actual experience was a bit dire.
I remember actually wandering around the rememnants of the area when it was derilict for a few months. Strange actually walking around an empty basment with Weyland Yutani symbols everywhere.
Once went to a Spiral Tribe technival in a warehouse in Acton which was used for Alien 3, the sets were still there and a few rat chewed props. Funnily enough there was a couple of Alien warrior heads which had like a bicyle helmet attached to it for the actors-thing is there wasn't any in the movie only the dog alien (bambi burster).So a bit of a mystery. Searched for the elusive King Face hugger, no joy. Hopefully the new DVD version will include it,seen the photo's, looks cool.
As for why i went to this thread Vampire Vs Werewolves- Underworld -what a let down, had a few decent moments-hope the next two rectify the problems, how did they manage to make a movie about Werewolves Vs Vampires so tedious

Re: Alien War/ Underworld

Redneck said:
As for why i went to this thread Vampire Vs Werewolves- Underworld -what a let down, had a few decent moments-hope the next two rectify the problems, how did they manage to make a movie about Werewolves Vs Vampires so tedious

hopefully Van Helsing will be better. :(

And now the sequel's sequel:

Wiseman Looking to Underworld 3

Source: Sci Fi Wire
December 7, 2005

Writer/director Len Wiseman, whose Underworld: Evolution will be released on January 20, tells Sci Fi Wire he's got plenty of ideas for a third installment.

"Yeah, we have piles and piles of notes and everything," Wiseman said. "We sort of mapped out an entire history and story that we then went into and decided which ... one will embody the first film, second film, third film. ... What it is, more so than three scripts, it is a massive collection of ideas and stories that we're putting out at certain times."

www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=12268

Short review:

Underworld: Evolution

** Cert 18

Peter Bradshaw
Friday January 20, 2006
The Guardian

There's only one reason to see this outrageously silly fantasy-horror extravaganza of vampires and werewolves, directed by Len Wiseman - and that's the fact that Bill Nighy is in it! All too briefly, unfortunately. But he enjoys himself hugely as Viktor, a vampire clan-leader giving some toothy subordinate a monumental bollocking. Sadly, he is only onscreen for around five minutes; the rest of the time this sequel is all about vampire babe Kate Beckinsale modelling a figure-hugging wet-leather outfit, like a naughtiest girl in the sixth form who's bunked off to go shopping at Agent Provocateur.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/C ... 52,00.html

January 22: UNDERWORLD: EVOLUTION tops box office

Various sources have reported that Screen Gems' sequel UNDERWORLD: EVOLUTION savaged the competition in its first weekend, taking the number-one box-office spot with an estimated $27.6 million at 3,207 theaters (final figures will be released Monday afternoon). That's a big jump from the $21.8 million grossed by the original film on 2,915 screens in September 2003, on the way to a final U.S. gross of $52 million. It's also good news for R-rated horror, as it's the second such movie this month to open at the top of the chart after HOSTEL (also produced by Screen Gems but released domestically by Lionsgate), which debuted to $19.5 million and this weekend took in another $4.3 million, for a total so far of $42.7 million. Meanwhile, Universal's KING KONG has surpassed $500 million in worldwide grosses, with $209.8 million in the U.S. and $294.4 million overseas. —Michael Gingold

www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=5445

Underworld Evolution (R1) in June - Artwork added

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Underworld Evolution for 6th June 2006 priced at $28.95 SRP. Len Wiseman's follow-up to his 2003 hit Underworld continues the story of Selene (Kate Beckinsale), the PVC-clad vampire assassin who fell in love with a human (Scott Speedman) and fell out with her fellow bloodsuckers. The sequel sees her battling the world's first vampire, who needs her to resurrect his werewolf brother.

Available in separate Widescreen and Full Screen editions features include:

• * English and French DD5.1 Surround
    * English and French subtitles
    * Director and Filmmaker’s Commentary
    * Making-of-featurette
    * Visual effects featuretteCreature featurette
    * Stunts Featurette
    * Design Featurette
    * Music and sound design featurette
    * Bonus music video

Underworld Evolution will also be available on Blu-ray Disc the same day, priced at $38.95 SRP. Features are TBC, but should match the DVD in terms of bonus content.

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60967

Blu-ray eh? Here comes Format Wars II :(

Mighty_Emperor said:
Blu-ray eh? Here comes Format Wars II :(

As Captain America would say, "No such animal".

Beta vs VHS it ain't. Lazerdisc vs DVD it ain't.

If you have tv shows in your DVD collection or old films, there's not a great deal point replacing them unless they're things like star wars and they've been remastered, and in the case of star wars, there will probably be a blu-ray version in the end. Plus it's increasingly relevant to technology here on in, for example, HD tv. If you're going to get HD (and we all are going to eventually since we're all getting increasingly HD ready and that's the way things are going) blu-ray will be the best way to get the most out of it. I won't be replacing my copy of 'the man who would be king' or 'indiana jones' anytime soon. So, in short, it's not as bad as it sounds.

anyway, you can read about backward compatibility here.

http://www.blu-ray.com/

2.2 Will Blu-ray be backwards compatible with DVD?

Yes, several leading consumer electronics companies (including Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Pioneer, Sharp and LG) have already demonstrated products that can read/write CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs using a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. In fact, most of the Blu-ray players coming out will support upscaling of DVDs to 1080p/1080i, so your existing DVD collection will look even better than before. While it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) expects every Blu-ray Disc device to be backward compatible with DVDs.

Underworld: Blood Wars
Kate Beckinsale in another outing of the vampires versus werewolves Gothic/action franchise. I found myself bored by the first half of this one which was by-the-numbers stuff, but I perked up when Beckinsale's character visits another vampire coven and some unexpected metaphysics were introduced. It wasn't enough to rescue this, but the second half kept me more engaged and one can at least hope the next installment will enter weirder territory. 6.5/10.

Underworld: Blood Wars: We get a synopsis of the previous four films then it's straight into Selene (Kate Beckinsale) fighting off a Lycan pack with the help of vampire David (Theo James). The Eastern Coven is persuaded to bring Selene back to train their Death Dealers as they are on the point of defeat at the hands of the Lycans. The Lycans want Selene's hybrid daughter so they can build an unbeatable hybrid vampire-werewolf army. But intrigue and treachery are widespread within the vampire community. So great battles with effective CGI and convincing werewolves. Not just indoor fighting but also combat in the arctic wilderness. One on one jousts are as superbly choreographed as the mass clashes. Secrets are uncovered and more details are revealed about the background to this centuries long saga. Pretty good Vampire romp. Directed by Anna Foerster from a screenplay by Cory Goodman. On Netlix until 30 June. 7.5/10.

Back