• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unearthly Calls

The coma bit is a little grim. But i do feel suspicious after being woken up and no one being there.

A strange recurring phenomena I experience now and again is being awoken in the middle of the night by 'someone' shouting my name. Yet no one is there. Does anyone experience similar?

Hearing one's name being called is one of the most common auditory hallucinations.

It's especially common during the sleep phases during which one is sliding into sleep (hypnagogic) and surfacing at the close of a sleep cycle (hypnopompic). If you're dreaming you are in or approaching the latter phase.

We have a thread on such occurrences:

Hypnagogic Voices
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/hypnagogic-voices.3984/

I suppose if you've no reason to suspect that this may not happen to everyone, there would be no reason to know it had a name to go looking for? I'm always slightly surprised that people still think this is a 'supernatural occurrence', but if you've never heard of it and never been told that it is common, you would, wouldn't you?

I get loud knocking on the door, phone ringing, people shouting my name, or 'Mum!' or, sometimes, the dog barking.

None of it is real. It's all my brain firing off as I come up to waking. If I didn't know what it was it would proper put the wind up me, I live alone! (Except for the dog, that is).

I get loud knocking on the door, phone ringing, people shouting my name, or 'Mum!' or, sometimes, the dog barking.

None of it is real. It's all my brain firing off as I come up to waking. If I didn't know what it was it would proper put the wind up me, I live alone! (Except for the dog, that is).
The "unearthly calls' was a little tongue in cheek! I don't believe in the supernatural although I'm fascinated by anything that can be perceived as such.

I have been in bed , half awake and half asleep and heard a loud snapping sound, like someone breaking a piece of wood right next to my head, bringing me awake again. This has happened a couple of times.
Like the 'exploding head syndrome' that people get. Unsettling but harmless.

Oh yes, I've had that once or twice too - usually accompanied by a flash of very bright light.

Annoying when one is trying to get off to sleep.

The voice shouting my name is usually very loud and seems angry, as if it's trying to wake me and/or stop me from doing something in my dream. I never remember the dream unfortunately.
It's rare with me remembering any dreams. When I was small i used to think it was ghosts.

When I was still living at home my Mum would get them more often than i did. Then she'd wake me (on the days I wasn't reading Red Sonja or Poe) and shout at me. "It's the bloody neighbours again Maria! I'm going down to sort them out!"

I was looking at another thread. About Bhutan Poltergeist. But then I see something that looks like boobs, so I pressed it's actually 2 women in brains. But it's actually an article on anomalien.com that says about new evidence that suggests we go to parallel universe in our dreams.

I was looking at another thread. About Bhutan Poltergeist. But then I see something that looks like boobs, so I pressed it's actually 2 women in brains. But it's actually an article on anomalien.com that says about new evidence that suggests we go to parallel universe in our dreams.
Shame about the boobs, though.

Just woke up i caught a glimpse of my Goddess The Moon. My pal let me sleep. Bit miffed but not too miffed as I dreamt of my school days. Now I still love honey. But back then I used to always go through a bottle of honey usually dancing to music just sensually drinking the stuff. I was more of an addict for it back then. It helped with my asthma made me feel relaxed, I did do these honey dances in front of my friends and other peoples. My friends would say here she goes again. That's what I was doing in the dream . I can't remember the other songs in my honey dances but the last one was Phill Colllins in the air tonight. Gonna look at Moon one last time then hit the sack and try my hardest to have more sensual honey dancing dreams!! Goodnight all. ;) x

Disturbed. To both!

I'd go with what Enola and Scrag have said and wouldn't be too worried about it unless it starts impacting your life. Can you remember during what part of sleep it was? Was it during dreaming, falling asleep, waking up?

I'd look at ways to improve the quality of your sleep, like looking at diet, exercise, avoiding stimulants at least 3 hours before bed, throwing out the ratty old pillow that sort of stuff.

Also the link to EHS.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/exploding-head-syndrome-hypnagogic-noise-s.115/

I'd go with what Enola and Scrag have said and wouldn't be too worried about it unless it starts impacting your life. Can you remember during what part of sleep it was? Was it during dreaming, falling asleep, waking up?

I'd look at ways to improve the quality of your sleep, like looking at diet, exercise, avoiding stimulants at least 3 hours before bed, throwing out the ratty old pillow that sort of stuff.

Also the link to EHS.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/exploding-head-syndrome-hypnagogic-noise-s.115/

Ah, not quite as dramatic as the name suggests.

Oddly enough, having not had an incident of 'name calling' for quite a while, I woke up abruptly last night thinking I heard a woman's voice just outside my bedroom door or on the staircase, talking normally but in an 'excited' sort of tone, as one would to a dog. I surfaced with one of those half-thoughts that one of my daughters must be about to take the dog for a walk - before realising it was dark, the middle of the night, and all my daughters are in their own homes!

There's also the saying 'im as speaks 'as no teeth, as explained on the Odd Sayings thread.

Has anyone heard the front doorbell ring but you think its real but in fact its in your dream ?

Only once, not so long ago - woke me up with a start, pitch black, middle of the night. I reckon it actually was someone ringing the bell but I wasn't going to investigate at that unearthly hour. May have been a dream but don't think so. On the other hand, who the feck would be ringing my doorbell in the early hours?

I have been in bed , half awake and half asleep and heard a loud snapping sound, like someone breaking a piece of wood right next to my head, bringing me awake again. This has happened a couple of times.
Something similar happened to me a couple of times, only the snapping sound, which was very loud, sounded like a rubber band. The first time I was in bed but awake, and my sister in my guest room who was also awake heard it too.

The second time it happened I was alone in the house talking on the phone around midnight and the snapping noise was so loud the person I was talking to also heard it.

I’ve experienced both hypnogogic and hypnopompic voices as well as exploding head syndrome too but for this I actually had a witness each time (who was just as puzzled as I was).

Back