• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I guess if it was consensual then it would be okay, except he had the power to fire her, and she may have had bills to pay or family to support. If she worked as a hobby, then, I guess it was a perk!

I guess if it was consensual then it would be okay, except he had the power to fire her, and she may have had bills to pay or family to support. If she worked as a hobby, then, I guess it was a perk!
Each to their own of course and I'm not judging but they were both married to other people at the time. I think they did subsequently marry.

In the mid nineties I was working late in the office (was a one off - I detested the place). A persistent banging was audible from another office, when I thought the place was empty. Stupidly I pushed open the office door to find the boss "enjoying" his secretary on his desk. Relationship went downhill after that and I left shortly after.
I hope she claimed overtime.

I believe PeteS averted his gaze, so it would be difficult for him to verify this.

One of the spookiest things that I've experienced happened in an office late at night, when I was working alone. About 9 o'clock, in an old 1870's office in a back street in York. Suddenly I heard someone talking, quite loud, just outside the open office door - I say talking, it was just one, short, nonsensical syllable, then silence. I can't remember exactly what was said, but it was some thing short and plosive, like
'That.'
or
'What.'
or
'Might'
or
'Light'
or something like that. Then silence.
I expected someone to walk in, perhaps a couple of people talking to each other, but nothing. Like gavin burnett, I leapt up and searched the entire building, but there was no-one there. My hair stood on end the whole time, of course. Eventually I decided it was someone walking past the front door in the street outside, having a loud (and possibly drunken) conversation of which I only heard one syllable.

Perhaps gavin burnett's mysterious noise was a sound outside in the street, amplified by internal acoustics.

One of the spookiest things that I've experienced happened in an office late at night, when I was working alone. About 9 o'clock, in an old 1870's office in a back street in York. Suddenly I heard someone talking, quite loud, just outside the open office door - I say talking, it was just one, short, nonsensical syllable, then silence. I can't remember exactly what was said, but it was some thing short and plosive, like
'That.'
or
'What.'
or
'Might'
or
'Light'
or something like that. Then silence.
I expected someone to walk in, perhaps a couple of people talking to each other, but nothing. Like gavin burnett, I leapt up and searched the entire building, but there was no-one there. My hair stood on end the whole time, of course. Eventually I decided it was someone walking past the front door in the street outside, having a loud (and possibly drunken) conversation of which I only heard one syllable.

Perhaps gavin burnett's mysterious noise was a sound outside in the street, amplified by internal acoustics.

I've definitely experienced the odd phenomenon where you hear someone make a single sound quite loudly, at least a couple of times. I don't recall contexts but do remembering why I suddenly heard a single syllable or word. In some cases it might be someone exclaiming - maybe they are walking past the building you are in, realise they've forgotten their phone/wallet/keys and let out a "fu..." or something similar.

People don't 'shun' travelling by bus, necessarily. It's just that if you've got to walk half a mile to the bus stop and then a mile at the far end from the bus stop to the destination, when you can drive door to door, why would you?

Sadly this was the undoing of many railway branch lines back in the post-War period. A lot of rural stations were built a considerable distance from the towns and villages they were intended to serve and usually with a steep hill involved, too. A great example of this is the former Torrington (Devon) station which was a 1.2 mile walk up a very steep hill from the town centre (another was Dulverton (Somerset) at two miles from the town it served). This was in main due to Victorian-era economics, as the railway lines were built along river valleys where possible to avoid expensive engineering work. Also working engines on gradients was expensive in terms of fuel and limited the loads that could be hauled by one locomotive. Thus, lines followed contours and valleys to eliminate gradients as much as possible. Unfortunately, local bus companies took advantage of this and would run their services from village and town centres, making them much more attractive to both locals and visitors alike.

I suppose I'll chime in with my own little story.

At the previous building my local makerspace was housed in, I was there late at night. It's a very industrial area and that added to the spookiness factor.

One evening I was there alone and I heard someone whistle. It was a brief tune (not one I recognized off-hand) but I could tell where it came from. There was an office area that we all sort of hung out in which had a plexiglass window that looked out onto the shop area. The whistling came from just outside that window.

I first thought to myself, "Oh, cool, someone else is here. Now I won't have to be alone when I turn out the lights."

I looked (window/shop was immediately to my right) and there was no one. I got up and checked around...no one.

Kinda booked it out of there, but I'm wishing I would have taken some photos or something, just in case something showed up.

Sadly this was the undoing of many railway branch lines back in the post-War period. A lot of rural stations were built a considerable distance from the towns and villages they were intended to serve and usually with a steep hill involved, too. A great example of this is the former Torrington (Devon) station which was a 1.2 mile walk up a very steep hill from the town centre (another was Dulverton (Somerset) at two miles from the town it served). This was in main due to Victorian-era economics, as the railway lines were built along river valleys where possible to avoid expensive engineering work. Also working engines on gradients was expensive in terms of fuel and limited the loads that could be hauled by one locomotive. Thus, lines followed contours and valleys to eliminate gradients as much as possible. Unfortunately, local bus companies took advantage of this and would run their services from village and town centres, making them much more attractive to both locals and visitors alike.
And yet both Crewkerne and Yeovil stations survived, despite being a considerable distance from the towns, and many others too. So why did some close and not others?

In the mid nineties I was working late in the office (was a one off - I detested the place). A persistent banging was audible from another office, when I thought the place was empty. Stupidly I pushed open the office door to find the boss "enjoying" his secretary on his desk. Relationship went downhill after that and I left shortly after.
I walked in on my boss and his secretary in the same position once. A few years later I started a new job and a girl in my team asked where I'd worked before. When I told her her first response was "Oh, you must know my Auntie who works there".

You know the rest :D

What, the guy who used to host "They think it's all over", the sport-based comedy panel show?
1624811536102.png

And yet both Crewkerne and Yeovil stations survived, despite being a considerable distance from the towns, and many others too. So why did some close and not others?
Crewkerne and Yeovil Junction are on the former Southern Railway main line from London Waterloo to Exeter (and beyond). During the Beeching years consideration was given to to closing the line between Salisbury and Exeter or Yeovil and Exeter but thankfully the line survived. However, it was reduced to Secondary line status and singled with passing points during the 1960s. By the 1980s it had become rundown and unreliable, with two-hour gaps between services hauled by ageing, unreliable locomotives. Delays were frequent and the alternative Primary route (former GWR mainline) between Exeter and London via Castle Cary had received significant investment in terms of new signalling, upgraded track work and and faster, air-conditioned InterCity 125 trains. I know this as I was a regular passenger between Salisbury and Exeter from 1989-1994 and suffered no end of delays due to basically knackered locomotives.

However, one of British Rail's last acts was to order a brand new fleet of economical and ultra-reliable Class 159 trains for Exeter - Waterloo (the Yeovil & Crewkerne line). These together with the upsurge in rail usage then encouraged further investment in track and signalling and now the line boasts an hourly service with improved journey times and and impressive reliability (The Class 159s have held the accolade of being the most reliable diesel trains in the UK).

Thus, Crewkerne and Yeovil Junction were not on branch lines and as long as there were sufficient passengers travelling between Exeter, Salisbury and London waterloo then their survival was guaranteed (as proved the case).

Not late at night but one year there was just my work best friend and me at work on Christmas eve, everyone else had left, it was probably around 2ish. (We were told we could leave around 3, picking up phones etc)

A very normal, modern-ish (1990's?) office block in Southwark, London. We'd both had lunch, I think I'd gone out to the local M&S.
The office had lifts which you had to use a fob for. We heard the lift opening and people talking down the far end of the office. No one came out of the lifts or into the office. Scared us so much, we thought sod it and left early......

We won't even talk about the office block I worked in (again with work BF) that was extremely weird, near the Tower of London. Definite presence on the stairs......

Yes, Nicnocnac, out with your story, hurry it up, chop! chop! You can't just leave us hanging like that!

Back