• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unexplained Music

elffriend

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I hope this is the right place to put this.

I encountered some unexplained music (but quite funny) on a train from London to Nottingham last night.

We were just pulling into the station and people were getting up when we heard the music from Psycho, you know the shower scene screechy music. It was very loud and everyone on the train looked at each other but no source of the music was found.

I know it will have a rational answer but I still found it very strange but very funny at the same time.

Has anyone else had such an experience?

If I travel by train I sometimes watch a DVD (using headphones). Is it possible someone was watching Psycho and as the train pulled into the station and they un-plugged their headphones in the rush to get off, before stopping the movie?

mooks out

Mooksta said:
If I travel by train I sometimes watch a DVD (using headphones). Is it possible someone was watching Psycho and as the train pulled into the station and they un-plugged their headphones in the rush to get off, before stopping the movie?

mooks out

That's the most logical explanationMooks, but I couldn't see anyone with a laptop. I just thought it was funny :D

I know this might sound silly Elf, but trying to cover all rational explanation, could it have possibly been the breaks on the train as you approached Notts station?

realspooky said:
I know this might sound silly Elf, but trying to cover all rational explanation, could it have possibly been the breaks on the train as you approached Notts station?

:rofl:

No it was definatley the Psycho music, Just researching ringtones.

Elffriend said:
:rofl:

No it was definatley the Psycho music, Just researching ringtones.

Well I thought it was a good theory!

Maybe I should stick to my day job :)

realspooky said:
Well I thought it was a good theory!

Maybe I should stick to my day job :)

It was a good theory it just made me laugh.

I have researched ringtones and so far haven't found one remotely similar to what I heard.

on some phones you can make a ringtone out of any sound file you want if you know how ;)

Elffriend said:
It was a good theory it just made me laugh.

I have researched ringtones and so far haven't found one remotely similar to what I heard.

Like the monkey said, maybe someone made it themselves? Polyphonic ring tones can sound very realistic sometimes.

Made me laugh too, but its true! Everytime I come into Notts station the train makes some bizarre noises, more than other stations.
Nothing to do with it like, but intriging never the less....

Are you sure it's the train and not the people on board? :D

never thought about it that way. With the state of the carriage I travelled on last time, wouldnt be surprised if it was the sound of people's feet on the ground slowing the train down!!

Know what you mean. I travel on Midland Mainline every week to London and their trains are a disgrace.

Still needs must and all that.

Elffriend said:
Know what you mean. I travel on Midland Mainline every week to London and their trains are a disgrace.

Still needs must and all that.

Glad you agree.
Anyway I'm going to be sad tonight and attempt to create a poly ringtone of psycho. Got some instructions so I'll see how it comes out, and how realistic it sounds.

Once a group of my friends and I had just decided an argument about what we would do next with a particularly long afternoon.

'Let's go!' we said.

As we set off we were immediately accompanied by that kind of cinematic music that normally accompanies the kind of scene where an invariably american action hero might announce 'lets go'. A rather pacey burst of drums and urgent guitar if I remember correctly.

The sound was drifting from some distant stereo or television set. The coincidence was hilarious.

I'll be going to Nottingham station on Friday night, so I'll keep my ears peeled! ;) (assuming I can use that phrase)

phones

There are certain phones (Orange SPV, o2 XDA and XDA2 to name but a couple) on which you can make ANY sound your ringtone. It's not polyphonic or anything, it just records it and plays it back from a speaker - or alternatively you can copy files from your PC including WAV, WMA and in some cases MP3. On a quiet train I can imagine it could sound pretty loud.

I've had all sorts or odd things for my phone, if you ever hear the into to Debaser by the Pixies playing in a random place - it's probably me!

What a geek I am...

realspooky said:
Glad you agree.
Anyway I'm going to be sad tonight and attempt to create a poly ringtone of psycho. Got some instructions so I'll see how it comes out, and how realistic it sounds.

Nice one. Let me know

Elf
Didnt have any success last night. Got something that played like pyycho, it was obvious that was the music, but couldnt get it anywhere loud enough, and it was obvious it was polyphonic.
So, lets direct ourselves to Daisy's theory??...

I have got sneaky feeling I can record on my phone so I'll have to give it a go.

Yeah hopefully you'll have more luck than I did. Let us know how you get on.

Had a quick look. There are quite a few Psycho ringtones but so far non of them have the same high pitched wheee wheee wheee (if you know what I mean).

I am on the train again tonight so I'll keep an ear out :D

Elffriend said:
Had a quick look. There are quite a few Psycho ringtones but so far non of them have the same high pitched wheee wheee wheee (if you know what I mean).

I am on the train again tonight so I'll keep an ear out :D

Whee whee whee? What version of Psycho have you been watching!

There's no way of getting a Polyphonic phone to make the Psycho screech-screech-screech noise convincingly;

Ployphonic phones use a form of Midi file to store musical notes and timing, then use their own 'instruments' to play them back. A phone may have a few drum sounds - a guitar sound - a piano sound and usually an organ sound. Nokias only have 8 'instruments' to go at so it's not really viable to expect one to relate that awfull psycho noise very faithfully.

A better bet is a phone as I described in my previous post - or a laptop/dvd player having it's headphones ripped out. When getting up to leave the train in a hurry I have often embarassed myself by taking the headphones out of my laptop while it is shutting down and sharing my 'unique' musical taste with the whole train...

SOLUTION...........
5 long dark haired women in black clingy dresses playing violins simultaniously, 4 notes to the bar and monotone!

Simple. ;)

spillage said:
SOLUTION...........
5 long dark haired women in black clingy dresses playing violins simultaniously, 4 notes to the bar and monotone!

Simple. ;)

Now thats just personal fantasy :D

Back