• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unexplained Water

EdenJaded

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
G'day

I apologise if this has been posted in the wrong section, but I'm completely baffled by an unexplainable experience, and I have no knowledge of the supernatural or paranormal so I thought this forum may be able to assist me.

Yesterday evening, my mum and I were sitting in the lounge room - she was using the laptop, and I was reading a magazine when we heard a long trickle of water - also, at this same time a mobile phone and a switched off appliance made a noise. We looked to each other in puzzlement, and then searched for the source of the trickling noise.

On the coffee table, in front of us, was a large puddle of water the size of an A4 sheet of paper. We immediately looked to the roof, assuming there had been a leak - but there was no leak, no wet patch; it was dry as a bone – there was absolutely nothing. And the puddle did not splatter, like it should have by falling from that height, and yet there was a trickling noise preceding it. There were no drinks on the table, and we do not have an air-conditioning unit. Notably, the water also tasted very sweet and radiated a pleasant smell. The water, quite literally, appeared from no-where.

I was wondering if this kind of phenomena has a particular name, or if anyone has had any experience or ideas as to what caused this? Also, I'm not sure if it's relevant - but two days ago we had to put down our beloved dog that we kept for fourteen years. The dog was very special, as I grew up with her, and I'm currently carrying a lot of guilt about the way the vet handled her and that I didn't properly say goodbye.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - as a science undergraduate, this has completely rocked my world.

Eden.

The appearance of an object out of nowhere, is sometimes called an "apport", I'm not sure it this applies to liquids. Sometimes this type of event is linked to poltergiest activity, others say that they're messages from the dead - as when stuff apparently materializes at a seance.

Whatever it is it's strange.

I'm not sure that I'd have risked tasting an unkown liquid though.

MsPix said:
The appearance of an object out of nowhere, is sometimes called an "apport", I'm not sure it this applies to liquids. Sometimes this type of event is linked to poltergiest activity, others say that they're messages from the dead - as when stuff apparently materializes at a seance.

Whatever it is it's strange.

I'm not sure that I'd have risked tasting an unkown liquid though.

Thankyou very much for the response.

I'll have a look into 'apport' - and yes, tasting said mystery liquid probably wasn't my smartest decision, but at the time I stupidly thought it was spilt lemonade, in spite of there not being a glass anywhere near the room. Oh well, I'm still kicking so it obviously wasn't poison, thankfully!

Unless I'm imagining it, I've got a feeling there's a thread somewhere covering a similar experience. Perhaps someone with a better memory than me can point us there.

Puddles of water from nowhere is a phenomenon associated with some hauntings, I think the Enfield Poltergiest house suffered this. I suppose it's one step up (or down) from feeling a phantom drop of water hit the top of your head.

I don't know if this means you have a poltergeist, though, it might be the late dog letting you know it's OK in a very strange way. Interesting you heard the puddle arrive, though, that must be rare.

Spookdaddy said:
Unless I'm imagining it, I've got a feeling there's a thread somewhere covering a similar experience. Perhaps someone with a better memory than me can point us there.

Well, much to my surprise I found it myself. See Water Ghost thread.

(Although I've got a feeling that this isn't the thread I was originally thinking of and that there's yet another thread out there on a similar subject).

Hi, Eden.

Was there anyone else in the house apart form you and your Mum?

We used to have a leak in the bath drain which is above our living room. Once, we had some water come through where the light fitting comes out of the ceiling and on to the coffee table below. That would have been sweet smelling if it was bath water. (Unless it was me in the bath :lol: )

Sorry to hear about your dog, losing a well loved pet can be such a hard time.

A search on the MB for the term 'phantom drip' will turn up several threads of interest. :D

A few questions ...

- How big was this puddle?

- Is there anything in / on the ceiling directly above the table?

- Are you sure the trickling sound came from the table? You said it was right in front of you, so how did you fail to immediately 'localize' it?

- You mentioned a mobile phone and an appliance making a noise at the same time. What sort of appliance was it?

- Are there any potted plants on the table?

- What items / objects were on the table at the time?

escargot1 said:
A search on the MB for the term 'phantom drip' will turn up several threads of interest. :D
[off topic]A local plumber has this written on his van:

"Don't live with an annoying drip, call xxxxx xxxxxx! [/off topic]

The first thing that came to my mind was that the trickling noise was indeed from the puddle but from the table to the floor, until it reached a point where it stopped, by then the puddle would have been just that. So was there any liquid on the floor?
I'm writing this because it happened to me, that I heard trickling and it came from liquid on a surface, especially when I water my plants.
However that doesn't explain where the water came from in the first place, it might have been there for a while unnoticed from a spill and maybe something shook and it spilled over.
Again, the ringing phone and the appliance are still a mystery.

Or there was a very small earthquake?
Interesting.

My parents had some friends who supposedly lived with the ghost of a small dog. They (and others who came round) could only snatch glimpses out of the corner of their eyes BUT in the morning they would often find a patch of white dust on the carpet, like an area where the dog had peed and it had evaporated.

I wonder if you have the same thing....just fresher!

Hello, I've been a reader of IHTM for years but you have inspired me to make my my first post... Something very similar happened in my flat about two years ago. I bought a very cheap vacuum cleaner (bear with me!) and the moment I got it home, the little plastic tray that is supposed to hold the attachments snapped off. I kept it on top of my chest of drawers in my bedroom, but the attachments gradually migrated elsewhere in the flat and it was empty, face up and similar in shape to an oval bowl.

One morning when I went to the chest to get my clothes, I noticed that the tray was full, exactly to the brim, of water. There were no drops of water around the tray, or any residue where a spill might have dried overnight, and no sign of a leak on the ceiling above the tray. I took it into the bathroom to empty it, very carefully because as I say it was exactly full to the brim - another drop would have caused it to overflow - and when I poured the water away it looked greasy, like water from the bowl when you've finished washing up, and it also smelled slightly sweet. although I was not brave enough to taste it! The only water I keep in my bedroom is in a glass by my bed, which I do frequently spill, but is nowhere near the chest of drawers. We've had no other unexplained appearing water since, but I just can't work out where that greasy water came from.

I think it might be from my fish pond.

I dug a small fish pond a few weeks ago. The water in it keeps going murky (it does look a bit like washing up water) so I have to keep changing it.

Then one day i went outside and all the water had gone. This only happened once. I filled it up again and it stayed full up. But I do wonder from time to time where it went!

Well from now on I'll keep an aquarium on the chest - just in case some of your goldfish make it through the wormhole...

Maybe the ghost of your dog returned to say goodbye to you properly and in order that you would have something to remember him / her by pee'd on your coffee table.

I'll bet if you go to Number 10 today and look under Gordon Brown's seat you'll find a little pool of fluid - probably sweat after the last 24 hours!

Whoops - a little bit of politics there... :D

sometimes "miraculous" water that shows up at miracle sites or is associated with poltergeists is described as tasting sweet and being rose scented. you were brave to drink some! and crazy.
if our dishwasher is flooded, or someone has put regular dishwashing liquid in it rather than low sudsing machine stuff it leaks thru the floor and drips off the light fixture in the room below. once a wooden mug that had been sitting around with water in it suddenly cracked and the water inside gushed out. maybe there was a puddle of water in the ceiling that just leaked out at the moment. but i'm sure you've checked all possibilities.
have there ever been unexplained events before?

A friend of mine wrote about a similar experience in a blog entry. She let me post it here:

Very mysterious patches of water seem to keep appearing. It's very strange. It's always on my bed, but on the edge, a bit to the left of where my bottom has been and a little bit more forward. Also, the bottom of my nightdress is damp. This hangs to around my thighs. These mysterious wet patches have appeared 4 or 5 times now, over the past few weeks.

My initial thought was that I'd spilled some of my drink somehow since it's near where I would put my drink if I had one and that area would get wet if one spilled. But in 2 of the occasions where these patches have appeared, I haven't had any drink or liquid near the bed. My next thought was that I'd peed myself, but my underpants and clothes around that area appear to be dry, and also, I smelled the patches and they don't appear to smell of anything at all.

The one that is there now smells of nothing, and I haven't had any liquids in my room at all since before I left for florida 2 weeks ago. The bottom of my nightdress is damp but my trousers and pants are dry and I can't see how any liquid from my body could have got through. My thougt a moment ago was that maybe some sort of leak from somewhere had happened but I checked the ceiling and neaby walls and couldn't see how any liquid could possibly get in.

I also just had another random thought that it could somehow be from my laptop though I can't see how. The side of my laptop rests above the wet patch (when the laptop is on my lap) and gives off a lot of heat.. though I don't see how this makes wet patches and I also don't see how this could be transferred to the back of my nightdress.

If anyone can think of any new ways it could have got there, I'd like to know. Because it's all very puzzling. I also thought of mabe somehow drool from my mouth is getting there, but I couldn't work out how that could happen either...

gncxx said:
Puddles of water from nowhere is a phenomenon associated with some hauntings, I think the Enfield Poltergiest house suffered this. I suppose it's one step up (or down) from feeling a phantom drop of water hit the top of your head.

I don't know if this means you have a poltergeist, though, it might be the late dog letting you know it's OK in a very strange way. Interesting you heard the puddle arrive, though, that must be rare.
maybe the dog letting you know that it needs to go for a walk.Another reason not to taste mysterious liquids.

This morning, on another thread, someone wrote about some water which had mysteriously appeared. I said I thought we had a thread for that kind of thing, but I forget now who made the post...

But I found this, and replying to it should BUMP it up into the active threads again!

The other thread was Minor Strangeness (I think).

I think it might be from my fish pond.

I dug a small fish pond a few weeks ago. The water in it keeps going murky (it does look a bit like washing up water) so I have to keep changing it.

Then one day i went outside and all the water had gone. This only happened once. I filled it up again and it stayed full up. But I do wonder from time to time where it went!

We had this once where half the water from the pond suddenly disappeared. We filled it up and it never happened again so no hole, very odd. Maybe s steam powered UFO stopped off lol.

However I was drawn to this thread by the appearing water. I think I may have experienced that at work the other day. I was upstairs in our stock room and had been for at least an hour. When I spotted a small pool of liquid. I did have a drink we me but it was nowhere near that spot. I checked the ceiling several times, nothing (the place does leak regularly) a colleague had been up briefly but she'd had no liquids on her. Also I noticed the patch was undisturbed and it was a spot I regularly crossed so I would have spread it about the place if it had been there long. I mopped it up, I did take a sniff in case it gave any clues but it didn't spell of anything. We do sell various liquids but if it was a leaky product me or my colleague had moved there would have been a trail also I'm pretty sure all our products would smell. Oh and yes the building is definitely haunted.

Perhaps a rat had been there and did a random pee? Mind you, then it would smell of something...

OK...maybe one of the other employees spilt a drink of water or (eek) had a pee?

Nope other employee that passed by had no drink with her and I'm pretty sure she didn't have an 'accident' o_O

I'm stumped. It's a mystery.

Back