• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unhappy Houses & Odd Happenings

Nice story Andy. Would have been interesting had you taken that flat and what you may have experienced.

A few years back a guy at work was renting a flat in Muswell hill, north London. The lease was up and the landlord wanted him out, so he and his girlfriend began looking elsewhere.

A letting agent showed them around a newly decorated flat which was a lot cheaper than other flats of its kind in the area.

They liked the flat but felt it had a certain depressive atmosphere about it, so declined it.

They told the agent this, and the agent said he understood and that although he hadn’t told them before, but was legally bound to do so had they had taken the flat, it was the actual flat that Dennis Nielsen had commited most of his murders back in the 1980’s.

This post gave me the creeps - not because of the content, but because as soon as I read "Muswell Hill" I knew exactly what you were going to say next.

Because a colleague of a friend of mine looked at the very same flat...

Hey JW and Shady Cavalier, could you pm each other to confirm whether it was the same flat you both looked at or not? That way you could report back to the forum if it's the same place or not without disclosing personal information. You've both got my curiosity burning!

It just seemed really weird for a bird, or squirrel even, to have pulled out little bits of paper like that and just left them lying there like that. My mum actually climbed up for a look and pointed out a big, man-sized dent in the foam insulation where it looked like someone had been lying!
This may sound like an irrelevant question, but could you smell anything? Like a sweaty person? What's in the gray and white plaid sack looking thing? Could there be someone's clothes in it? Do you suspect someone of living up there? (Obviously I do!) Was the place empty for awhile before your mother moved in? Is it feasible to call in someone to investigate? I'd be as nervous as you are if my mother were living there!

Hey JW and Shady Cavalier, could you pm each other to confirm whether it was the same flat you both looked at or not? That way you could report back to the forum if it's the same place or not without disclosing personal information. You've both got my curiosity burning!

This may sound like an irrelevant question, but could you smell anything? Like a sweaty person? What's in the gray and white plaid sack looking thing? Could there be someone's clothes in it? Do you suspect someone of living up there? (Obviously I do!) Was the place empty for awhile before your mother moved in? Is it feasible to call in someone to investigate? I'd be as nervous as you are if my mother were living there!
No, I have a terrible sense of smell but I'm sure no-one is living there. The bags are just her clothes and stuff - the house actually belonged to my gran. When she died the whole place was cleared, with the intention of selling it. But my mum moved in. It's been one of our family houses for about, I dunno, 70 years or something?
She has a cat and a massive dog so I think one of those would know if there was someone in the house - I personally think it's just been an animal. There must be some prosaic explanation for the apported record! And the golf clubs in the previous house....

It's a ghost isn't it? :mattack:

Does anyone have any stories about poltergeists/things being thrown actually hitting people? They always seem to "miss by inches".

In my day job I'm a gas/electric meter reader. Sometimes we have to go down into dark basements, alone, to check the meters out and it can be pretty creepy. I once had to fit a smart meter device to the gas meter in a local undertakers, pitch black cos there was no actual lights, with coffins right beside me!
Anyway, at a team meeting one day one of the other guys described a similar scenario, in a dark basement, all alone, when a tennis ball smacked off the back of his head! He was adamant no-one else was in there (why would someone be lurking about a pitch black, empty basement?) and it absolutely terrified him.

EDIT to add - the coffins were, as far as I know, empty. But still, lol...A colleague of mine went down there once and walked into a pipe, knocking himself out for a short time. He came to with the coffins all around him hahaha, what a guy , he was always doing daft stuff to himself!

This post gave me the creeps - not because of the content, but because as soon as I read "Muswell Hill" I knew exactly what you were going to say next.

Because a colleague of a friend of mine looked at the very same flat...

Oh wow. How odd, unless your friends work colleague and MY work colleague are one and the same person.

My work colleague is either a kiwi or an Aussie ( I always get the accents confused)

Shady can you find out what nationality your friends workmate is?

Oh wow. How odd, unless your friends work colleague and MY work colleague are one and the same person.

My work colleague is either a kiwi or an Aussie ( I always get the accents confused)

Shady can you find out what nationality your friends workmate is?

He is English, I met him a couple of times. Heavily tattooed and a hairdresser. Apparently the property had been on the market for ages and was a steal...

I went to an exhibition about forensics at the Wellcome Trust a few years back, and apparently traces of blood can still be detected even after the evidence is removed. I would just demolish the entire building.

Weirdly enough, my godmother's partner lived next door to him. Apparently he was only discovered when everyone's drains started backing up :Givingup:

I love it but this does need to be confirmed. Could there not be more than one horrid and/or hard-to-let flat in Muswell Hill? :sherlock:

I'm sure there are plenty, but there's (thankfully) only one Dennis Nielsen.

The friend whose colleague it was who viewed the flat is very interested in serial killers (she even has a top 5) so of course she was very intrigued indeed.

He is English, I met him a couple of times. Heavily tattooed and a hairdresser. Apparently the property had been on the market for ages and was a steal...

I went to an exhibition about forensics at the Wellcome Trust a few years back, and apparently traces of blood can still be detected even after the evidence is removed. I would just demolish the entire building.

Weirdly enough, my godmother's partner lived next door to him. Apparently he was only discovered when everyone's drains started backing up :Givingup:
There are times when I regret coming to read this forum just before I go to bed....

I have just passed the 28th anniversary of the day I took possession of my house.

One mysterious pool of water in the kitchen and a weird escapade by a bayonet-fitted bulb, which managed to unfix itself and dance down the stairs without breaking, apart, it has been an uneventful place to live.

I did have suspicions about certain ruddy stains on doors and floorboards, knowing that the previous owner had died young and unexpectedly.

For many years after moving in, I would get calls for him - having inherited the phone number. I tried to handle them gently, in case they were friends, unaware he was dead. Only one was a friend, the others were agencies: he was an IT contractor. I got a few freebies but all of them personalised with his name. Using his 1992 Diary - a year he did not live to see - would have been doomed, or just a bit horrid. I had taken up IT work myself, by then but not his addiction to deep-fat frying, which had left its marks on the inherited stove!

In the end, I learned he had not died in the house but just a few yards away from home, splitting his head on a kerb in a drunken fall.

His fate has tended to haunt me but not in the form of phantoms. RIP Stephen. :(

Last edited:
James, that's a spooky and sad story. RIP Stephen.

His fate was an unsolved mystery until about ten years ago (?) when an elderly neighbour told me what he knew. Knowing his eating-habits, from evidence in the house, I had assumed a sudden, early demise from heart-disease. The calls from agencies went on for years but I did always try to treat callers gently, just in case they were personal friends who had lost touch. Only one was.

The lewd sexual letter I got through the door turned out to be for a student, briefly lodging in the house, after Stephen's death.

The red emulsion and the red light in the upstairs window always made me wonder about that period! :actw:

His fate was an unsolved mystery until about ten years ago (?) when an elderly neighbour told me what he knew. Knowing his eating-habits, from evidence in the house, I had assumed a sudden, early demise from heart-disease. The calls from agencies went on from years but I did always try to treat callers gently, just in case they were personal friends who had lost touch.

The lewd sexual letter I got through the door turned out to be for a student, briefly lodging in the house, after Stephen's death.

The red emulsion and the red light in the upstairs window always made me wonder about that period! :actw:
:omg:

Although young at the time, I remember the case fairly well.

My eldest brother (he’s 10 years my senior) knew a guy who lived in the same street as Nilsen (which must have been the Melrose Avenue address) who told my brother that he knew something was not right due to putrid smell emanating from the property.

Don’t blame anybody for not wanting to live there.

Although young at the time, I remember the case fairly well.

My eldest brother (he’s 10 years my senior) knew a guy who lived in the same street as Nilsen (which must have been the Melrose Avenue address) who told my brother that he knew something was not right due to putrid smell emanating from the property.

Don’t blame anybody for not wanting to live there.

It feels as though we're playing the grimmest game of Seven Degrees of Separation ever.

I'm guessing your friend/colleague and my acquaintance are two different people then. Small world. I wonder who else we know who looked at that flat...

Wow.

What was he like Max…?

I always imagined him to be creepily polite and softly spoken, not unlike John Christie (the Notting Hill murderer)

Not a bad summary. As l noted at the link, he was “pleasant and polite”.

Others we dealt with were nasty pieces of work, and we had to ask the prison officers to “bend” them so that we could take our DNA samples. l always believed that they were the ones who were worried that, somewhere in a police evidence room, there was a knife handle or a pair of knickers with their DNA on them...

maximus otter

Not a bad summary. As l noted at the link, he was “pleasant and polite”.

Others we dealt with were nasty pieces of work, and we had to ask the prison officers to “bend” them so that we could take our DNA samples. l always believed that they were the ones who were worried that, somewhere in a police evidence room, there was a knife handle or a pair of knickers with their DNA on them...

maximus otter

Hmmm.

I don’t know what people on this forum feel about capital punishment but…………

Just saying is all.

Were you that bloke sitting on the hill singing with the sheep dog next to him doing his bum slide/arse wipe trick on Songs Of Praise ..

edit .. the Mrs has just asked me what a serial killer has got to do with Dennis Norden from it'll be alright on the night ..

Last edited:
Escette's house entertains them with banging on exterior walls and scratching on the other sides of interior walls as if there's a big dog trying to get out.

She used ti investigate but as it stops as soon as she gets close she shrugs and ignores it now.

That reminds me of something I heard from a randomer. Not them but someone they know worked in a high security hospital and had met Ian Brady (same kinda thing - polite, "just a little old man") and apparently they said the most chilling person they ever met, working there, was that teenage boy who stabbed a teacher, just a few years back. Apparently, he is absolutely terrifying.

Of all the kids I taught - and a few I didn't but were in colleagues' classes - there was one kid that was the same as that. Something so creepy and disconcerting about him, the hairs on the back of your neck stood up if you had to speak to him (he was all of about 11 - I never taught him, but a colleague did. I did have one notable encounter with him in the hallway when he looked ,me in the eye and called me a c-word. I suggested that was maybe not entirely wise and chanelled my inner thug, back at him. Never bothered me again but I'd be amazed if he's not grown up to be a murderer...)

That reminds me of something I heard from a randomer. Not them but someone they know worked in a high security hospital and had met Ian Brady (same kinda thing - polite, "just a little old man") and apparently they said the most chilling person they ever met, working there, was that teenage boy who stabbed a teacher, just a few years back. Apparently, he is absolutely terrifying.

Of all the kids I taught - and a few I didn't but were in colleagues' classes - there was one kid that was the same as that. Something so creepy and disconcerting about him, the hairs on the back of your neck stood up if you had to speak to him (he was all of about 11 - I never taught him, but a colleague did. I did have one notable encounter with him in the hallway when he looked ,me in the eye and called me a c-word. I suggested that was maybe not entirely wise and chanelled my inner thug, back at him. Never bothered me again but I'd be amazed if he's not grown up to be a murderer...)

Yup, when I worked in secure units I met a few murderers and some characters who'd only narrowly missed killing people.
One particular murderer had what I can only called dead eyes; they didn't have a shine or sheen like normal eyes. Like matte-effect contacts, not that there's any such thing.

He was pleasant enough and it was hard to believe what a terrible thing he'd done. He killed himself a few years later.

Back