• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unhappy Houses & Odd Happenings

It will be a fascinating read - my son is concerned his new house is haunted. Just the other night, mate was staying with him and they challenged any entity to make itself known.

Nothing happened, so getting ready for a sleep...

...then the scratching noises started...

Eek! Knowing what I know now, the first thing I recommend doing is throwing the biggest, noisiest party he can manage. See if that clears it out.

Eek! Knowing what I know now, the first thing I recommend doing is throwing the biggest, noisiest party he can manage. See if that clears it out.
Yessss...!

'So, what happened then, mate?'

...'The scratching noise was coming from a kitchen cupboard, so Steve and I cleaned it out, looking for mice. Steve suddenly reminded this was a first floor flat and any mice would have to climb the stairs'...

Good luck with those enigmatic scratching noises, son...

Did I not tell you to never invoke anything...

... unknown?

Really? Is that his justification for rejecting mice as the source? I mean, if it was daleks, then sure, but I suspect your average self-respecting mouse can find ways of climbing up to upper storeys...

Mice climb.... even up ladders into the attic. In fact, I sometimes suspect the little buggers can fly.

Really? Is that his justification for rejecting mice as the source? I mean, if it was daleks, then sure, but I suspect your average self-respecting mouse can find ways of climbing up to upper storeys...
Love it! Couple of problems though, mice would not only have to navigate said stairs, one of them must have had a door key as well.

Secondary, is the fact no mice were found...

Mice climb.... even up ladders into the attic. In fact, I sometimes suspect the little buggers can fly.
Another factor is that, the cupboard where the scratching noises were seemingly emanating from, is small and one of those at top height - designed for keeping any medication out of reach from children.

Nae mice there...

Mice can climb walls and get in through windows.

Mice are capable of anything. Anything.
Fair shout, evidently...

1550524491223537.jpg

This twitter thread is probably the most concise description I've written about the experience:
You confided therein...

'The first night I spent there, I was awakened by my digital alarm clock blasting. The time was flashing 5:15 AM. Which was weird because I hadn't set it. I went to turn it off, but couldn't. Tried to unplug it, but it wasn't plugged in. Well, maybe it had batteries?,

With respect, absurd nonsenc....

Did you see my posting about the doorbell going off at 4:30 in the morning and nobody there...?.

You confided therein...

'The first night I spent there, I was awakened by my digital alarm clock blasting. The time was flashing 5:15 AM. Which was weird because I hadn't set it. I went to turn it off, but couldn't. Tried to unplug it, but it wasn't plugged in. Well, maybe it had batteries?,

With respect, absurd nonsenc....

Did you see my posting about the doorbell going off at 4:30 in the morning and nobody there...?.

I don't recall if I did. Sorry you consider it absurd nonsense, I was trying to describe the experience and my thought process at the time as accurately as I could.

I don't recall if I did. Sorry you consider it absurd nonsense, I was trying to describe the experience and my thought process at the time as accurately as I could.
Was a failed attempt at, 'sarcasm'...

Maybe read it again with that in mind.

Yea.... I get what you were explaining....

...and then some!

The landlord of my previous home had renovated quite a few houses in his time and although he didn't really believe in 'all that stuff' he did admit that he could often feel 'something leave the house' whenever he took the roof covering off. He described it as if the house was giving a sigh and said he could sense a kind of whoosh as 'it' left! Now I'm guessing that it maybe had to do with his own feelings of relief at a task finished but given his stated non belief and otherwise being down to earth I'm prepared to entertain the notion that there may have been something 'other' going on.

Sollywos x

Many of the previous occupants to the house I moved into had said that they were sure it was haunted. One said he'd often see a old lady sitting in the hallway, others had felt a malevolent presence, and there were the ususal noises, previously locked doors opening on their own etc,

When I was looking round I wondered why he'd put an extra door in the kitchen and he seemed a bit miffed as he's thought it was a good idea to put one there when he was doing all the renovations. However on reflection he'd decided I had a point and when I next went to look he'd blocked it off and turned the dining room window into a door instead. This did indeed make a helluva lot of sense but he said that although he'd previously had the roof off he'd not had the usual feeling of something leave but the minute he opened the new doorway he did! His wife confirmed this but then she was already a believer,

We had been friends for a while and he already knew that I was happy to accept the tenancy ghosts and all so I don't think he said it just to reassure me!

My first night there was a sharp bump / crack from the roof quite different in tone and volume from the seagulls who liked to squabble up there. So I addressed any other world occupants that might be there thus:- 'I realise this is your home as much as mine but I've been having a hard time recently and I'd appreciate if you in turn understood that in my time frame it's my house. Mutual respect for each other and we should get along just fine''. Just as a precaution mind you .... not really sure I believed there was anything there. lol However I did carry on addressing 'them' from time to time and thanked them for sharing their home when I left. :)

Anyway the only thing that happened was coming down one morning to find the front door which I'd locked the night before swinging wide open! I'm very vigilent about locking doors but can acknowledge that just for once I'd not done it properly, nothing was taken so I didn't let it bother me ... just made triple sure in future!

It certainly seems that renovations can stir things up for whatever reason.

Sollywos xx

When we had major renovations done some years ago there was activity, which I put down the house not liking the builder we had in. He was rather racist and homophobic so although he did a good job we were glad to see the back of him. Maybe it was my dislike of him that set it off? I dunno.

Anyway, the house persecuted him with nasty pranks, including chucking him into a bath. (You've all heard that one!)
It's mostly been quiet since then.

Ah ha I like that your racist homophobic builder got his comeuppance courtesey of your ghost Escargot! I hope nothing untoward happened to you!

Did he suspect that there was anything spooky in the house? I also hope that in spite of his social attitudes that he made an excellent job of the work. My plumber is a bit like that ...genius at curing obscure boiler problems but a moron when it comes to attitude. Not nice having him in the house for an hour or two so I can imagine what it was like for you.

I'm curious to read your account now, perhaps you could point me in the right direction (don't need an exact location it's fun poking around the board! :) )

Sollywos x

Ah ha I like that your racist homophobic builder got his comeuppance courtesey of your ghost Escargot! I hope nothing untoward happened to you!

Did he suspect that there was anything spooky in the house? I also hope that in spite of his social attitudes that he made an excellent job of the work. My plumber is a bit like that ...genius at curing obscure boiler problems but a moron when it comes to attitude. Not nice having him in the house for an hour or two so I can imagine what it was like for you.

I'm curious to read your account now, perhaps you could point me in the right direction (don't need an exact location it's fun poking around the board! :) )

Sollywos x

From the Telekinesis thread -

We were having house alterations done and our new bathroom suite was in the front room ready to be dragged upstairs and installed.
The builder was fitting hinges to a door which he'd leaned against the wall at a about a 45 degree angle, braced against his foot.

This builder was a bit of a bigot and had begun making racist and homophobic remarks. The house didn't like him and I wasn't keen either.
He was nearly finished though so I was looking forward to paying him off.

So... after the house had showed its disapproval by scaring him a few times, he finished putting the hinges on the door and left it leaning safely, then turned his back on it and said 'Anyway, if one more thing happens to me in this house I'm off and I'm not coming back!'

The door then lifted off the wall and swung outwards, hitting the builder square on the back and knocking him into the new bath, landing on top of him like a lid.

He was terrified and I was helpless with laughter. Thank you, house!

Wonderful!! Great stuff!

As I mentioned in my introduction some of my relatives lived in a haunted house and were convinced that it was the previous occupant showing his distress at their being in his house and had put in a bathroom. (They were basing that assumption on having known him while alive lol )

They were not frightened just a bit irritated with him if he started 'showing off'. He quietened down after a bit but when after a year or two they had more alterations done he started up again (nothing as impressive as yours escargo!) They asked my aunt why she kept knocking on the pipes and she was about to deny it but just in time realised just who the culprit was, so thought it prudent to pretend it was her.

Off to read the rest of the Telekinesis thread :)

Sollywos x

They were not frightened just a bit irritated with him if he started 'showing off'. He quietened down after a bit

Whoever/whatever causes the 'activity' at our place, we don't know, but it doesn't frighten us either. Once as a teenage son and I argued a picture flew off the wall right beside him and I said 'Look what you've made me do NOW!' as if I were Carrie, heh.

You'd expect that sort of apparent post activity to come from him though, little teenage drama queen that he was.

We also have the 'Drip' that appeared to centre on my eldest. That one starts up when we're decorating or altering things. Then there's the ghost cat, and the footsteps at night...

Mice are capable of anything. Anything.
In our old house in Hebden Bridge - in which, note, there lived two cats - I once saw a mouse squeeze through the gap between the bottom of the fire surround in the wall and the slab of stone the fireplace rested on. The gap cannot have been taller than about 3mm at the very most. If I hadn't seen this with my own eyes, I would never have believed it possible.

I have kept mice (and rats) as pets, and a mouse can squeeze through a gap the size of a pencil tip. They sort of compress their bodies down to almost nothing - it's incredible to watch! But you can never say 'mice wouldn't get in there' or 'there's nothing for mice here'. They get EVERYWHERE! Ditto rats. One of the reasons they are so successful as species.

Oh... I see... we're going down that road now, are we...

Left conversation to make a brew, came back, picked up phone and this was the screen (in entirely) which awaited...

1550840411229348.jpg

I would never have to look up the meaning of 'bizarre'!

I didn't, so far as I'm aware, so who did?

*Genuinely, that just happened*

How bizarr... nah, not falling for that..

Taking a bit of a side step from the topic but having come here as a rest from my politics pages on fb I'm thinking wouldn't it be good to have a tame anti bigotry and racism ghost. :)

I've no wish to harm these people as that would make me a bad as them but a little bit of unsettling spookery wouldn't come amiss now would it?

Sollywos x

Back