Unicorns

AlienView

"Stargate Explorer"
Reaction score
[Unicorns Were Real, But Climate Change Killed Them

3aac9524abb6d38fd758cd2adc8f99ff

"
""

Unicorns, they’re just like us: uglier than previously believed land-dwellers who, despite being both literally and figuratively big-headed, are powerless under the crushing forces of climate change.
In fact, according to new research published in the journal Nature Ecology & Evolution, early humans lived alongside 9,000-pound Siberian unicorns, which bear no resemblance to any elegant, rainbow-colored depiction of the mythical creatures we’ve imagined. While scientists have known of these unicorns’ existence for decades, they previously believed that the beasts went extinct around 200,000 years ago. After analyzing unicorn DNA for the first time, scientists have come to realize they were way off; Elasmotherium sibiricum were roaming Eastern Europe and Central Asia until at least 39,000 years ago, meaning they coexisted with humans.........."

See whole article here:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/unicorns-were-real-climate-change-163246398.html

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
I listened to a podcast about unicorns and did a bit of follow-up research. The ancient Greek writer Ctesias mentions a unicorn-like animal called the 'Indian Ass'. Imagine my surprise when I googled it...

latest

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I found these on Tuesday (no, I did not purchase any).
unicorns.jpg

amyasleigh

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
[Unicorns Were Real, But Climate Change Killed Them

3aac9524abb6d38fd758cd2adc8f99ff

"
""

Unicorns, they’re just like us: uglier than previously believed land-dwellers who, despite being both literally and figuratively big-headed, are powerless under the crushing forces of climate change.
In fact, according to new research published in the journal Nature Ecology & Evolution, early humans lived alongside 9,000-pound Siberian unicorns, which bear no resemblance to any elegant, rainbow-colored depiction of the mythical creatures we’ve imagined. While scientists have known of these unicorns’ existence for decades, they previously believed that the beasts went extinct around 200,000 years ago. After analyzing unicorn DNA for the first time, scientists have come to realize they were way off; Elasmotherium sibiricum were roaming Eastern Europe and Central Asia until at least 39,000 years ago, meaning they coexisted with humans.........."

See whole article here:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/unicorns-were-real-climate-change-163246398.html

amyasleigh

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
There was a thread on "Cryptozoology: General" a few years ago, titled "Monsters We Missed" (first post 10 / 6 / 2010) -- I'd do a link to it, but my computer skills don't stretch that far ! It included discussion about the creature referred to above, "Elasmotherium". Over and above the reckoning thus cited, that it was around 39,000-odd years ago, thus coexisting with humans: there is one tantalising account which has come down to us from about a thousand years ago, telling of something seeming anyway a lot like "Elasmotherium", reputedly alive and dwelling in the lower / middle Volga area in the 10th century AD. The account is by an Arab traveller based in Baghdad, but far away from home: admittedly he didn't see an Elasmo -- he was going by what locals told him, implying that the creature was then alive and well in that area (and dangerous -- killable, but having to be treated very warily). They showed him artefacts supposedly made from the creature's horn. Further details about this 10th-century data, in the abovementioned thread.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The Wiki page includes this depiction of what appears to be Elasmotherium in the Rouffignac cave in France. Dated to around 13,000 BC, this suggests that Elasmo survived till more recent times than its official extinction date:

PSX_20181221_124030.jpg

Last edited: