Unidentified Floating / Beached Objects (Carolina Beaches)

carole

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
It would have been nice to have seen a photo. If it had numbers, it must have a terrestrial origin, unless those 'numbers' were in an unknown script. But if that had been the case, the article would surely have mentioned it.

It probably has quite a mundane origin, but what that is I couldn't hazard a guess.

Carole

TVgeek

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Why wasn't their first thought that it could be a mine?
I would have used extreme caution and not been
swimming up to it and tugging on it!!!

That being said: deep sea flotation device?
(Keep something in a net steady at 300 meters?)

Since it was empty, it must have been designed to float.

TVgeek

TVgeek

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Photo and video

I no sooner post one reply, when I find this:

abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/orb020614.html
Link is dead.
See subsequent post below for the MIA webpage's content.

TVgeek

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Anonymous

It seems to have been floating in the water for some time as you can see the water mark around it's circumference.

hachihyaku

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Weren't there a bunch of those in a jungle somewhere?

If I remember right, there was a whole bunch of them sitting in the middle of a jungle, so the best explanation I can come up with is a natural phenomenon of some kind. After all, pebbles are round :p

evilsprout

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A load of balls (FT 162 p20)

In this month's FT, there's a story about balls being washed up in South Carolina. They're 3ft in diameter, metallic, generally smoothed but slightly dimpled, and have identification numbers stamped on them.

Anyone got any idea what they are? I'm tempted to say they're some kind of marine version of the weather balloon rather than anything ET.

A

Anonymous

I'm sure I saw something on the MB not long ago on a similar subject. I'll try and dig it up.

A

Anonymous

Well, I found the news story.
Link is dead. See subsequent post below for the MIA content.

[Edit]
More here from Ananova and Rense.

And something about a religious slant on the story
here.

Last edited by a moderator:

TVgeek

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
We discussed this a while back... here is the thread:

[Threads now merged - ryn]

I haven't read it in a while, so I don't remember if a conclusion
was reached or not!

TVgeek

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've merged this thread with the original one, so we are now in News Stories.

As PY says (above) the original link no longer works, but plenty of others have been given more recently.

ogopogo3

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
hachihyaku said:
Weren't there a bunch of those in a jungle somewhere?

If I remember right, there was a whole bunch of them sitting in the middle of a jungle, so the best explanation I can come up with is a natural phenomenon of some kind. After all, pebbles are round :p
These sure don't look like natural phenomena:

http://mcguinnessonline.com/sphere/

A

Anonymous

Hasn't anyone opened one up yet to see if there's anything inside?

Could be interesting as the claim that they weigh "several hundred pounds" and measure 3ft across should mean that they shouldn't be floating at all!

I stand to be corrected on this 'cos I just thought about WW2 mines....:(

Quetzelcoatl

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
the fine Bertolucci film Indiana Jones New Riders of the Lost Ark.

at the start he's running away from Ze Chermans and theres these big stone balls chasing him in the jungles of Peru (the country, not Bobby. Thats another film).

well thats it innit? The Big Chasing Orbs of Peru

in the end he buys a submarine and escapes. Canny film

F

FraterLibre

Reading the Reports Helps Some

It says in the news story that the sphere in SC broke in half as it was being moved and seawater spilled out.

In the Rense material, by far the most thorough report, two letters indicate it's a pipeline pig, used to clear air and clogs from pipelines, and another asserts it's a practice mine.

Both make sense.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I no sooner post one reply, when I find this:
abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/orb020614.html
Link is dead.
See subsequent post below for the MIA webpage's content.
Here's the content from the MIA webpage ...

abc_orb_020614_nh.jpg
Mystery Orb
'Unidentified Floating Object' Washes Up on S.C. Shore
ABCNEWS.com

June 14 — It looked like something from a sci-fi flick: a mysterious silver orb, three feet in diameter, floating in the surf off the South Carolina coast.

"They thought it was a giant beach ball, they were going to bring in," said Marie Segneri, whose family found the orb floating near their rented beach house at Isle of Palms. "They swam out and said it was a very heavy ball, it was metal, had numbers on it, and there was no way they were bringing it in."

The ball eventually washed up on the shore, causing alarmed residents to call the police.

Authorities marked off an area around the orb with crime-scene tape and tried to identify it. They turned to members of the Air Force bomb squad, the Coast Guard and state officials for help, but no one could identify the strange object.

There were numbers on the surface of the orb, but no other clues that helped determine its origin.

NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration were contacted, but even they had no answers.

A Flotation Device... Maybe

Because of its weight — several hundred pounds — there's speculation it might be a flotation device used by a dredge company. But that theory only adds to the mystery — the orb has no fasteners on it where a line or cable might have been attached.

"We're calling it a UFO — an unidentified floating object," Isle of Palms Fire Chief Ann Graham told The Associated Press.

According to The Associated Press, the orb cracked in half as it was being brought to the town's public works department.

But the inside was as revealing as the outside — only seawater spilled out.

"There was nothing green, nothing glowing," Graham told the news agency. "It will probably just go to the scrap yard."
SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:
https://web.archive.org/web/2002061...s.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/orb020614.html

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
...wouldn't these be totally-familiar objects, already, to the seafaring locals?
Did the reporters ask any locals? If they did, did they bother to report the locals' replies?

Mystery = byline, column inches, pay.

Common sense solution = being ordered to cover next week's cat fancy dress competition in Cromer.

maximus otter

EnolaGaia

Staff member
I reckon you've got it matched spot-on.
But....wouldn't these be totally-familiar objects, already, to the seafaring locals?
No, because the locals aren't uniformly beachcombers, much less seafarers.

In any case, average folks don't (can't) immediately recognize objects they've never seen before - especially objects that are components of large (e.g., industrial) systems they've never encountered.

This 2002 incident is similar to the October 2018 beaching of the large O-ring thingie on another South Carolina beach:

‘Foamy’ Object Washes Ashore On South Carolina Beach
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-washes-ashore-on-south-carolina-beach.64629/

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Here's another spherical mystery object that's washed ashore on a Carolina beach. In this case the US Navy has taken the half-ton concrete-filled ball for inspection and identification. It's believed to be some sort of submarine training target.

90780851_3102083256468382_2619257600415367168_n.jpg

Submarine training target washes up on North Carolina beach

Officials in a North Carolina town said the Navy was called in to eject an unusual beach visitor -- a 1,000-pound ball of concrete believed to be a submarine training target.

The Kill Devil Hills Police Department said in a Facebook post the large, barnacle-covered object that washed up on the beach Monday afternoon was "not an explosive device" and did not pose any danger to the public. ...

The Town of Kill Devil Hills said the U.S. Navy removed the device Tuesday with help from the Kill Devil Hills Fire Department and Public Services Department.

The town said the Navy believes the 1,000-pound concrete ball to be a submarine training target. The Navy is planning to clean the object and attempt to determine where it came from, the town said.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...hes-up-on-North-Carolina-beach/7871585082273/

See Also (Local authorities' Facebook pages:with additional photos):

https://www.facebook.com/KDHPD/photos/a.964293700282498/3151505318227981/?type=3&theater