• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

University of Colorado UFO Project (Condon Committee / Report)

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
NOTE: This inaugural post was spun off / copied from:

The UFO Community Still Believes —And Science Is Starting To Listen
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...eves—and-science-is-starting-to-listen.65601/
---------------------

Can you cite or quote any true scientific studies done on the nature of the ufo enigma over the last 50 years

Yeah, we could.* Scientists were involved in various military examinations from 1948 to the Condon Report. But those studies were unsatisfying to the UFO community (and outside your 50 yr window). And I'm guessing you would dismiss those studies as not "true" since you added that qualifier for a reason. I don't think an acceptable "true" study could be done. It would never be able to tick all the boxes, and null results would be brushed aside as a coverup like others have been. UFO phenomena are inherently difficult to study. MUFON still gets money to try and had scientists on their roster, but they didn't do much. Ultimately, the assumption that UFOs involve physical aliens is too narrow an assumption.

*Note all the astronomers and astrophysicists who are peeking into space all the time and not finding UFOs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The writing of the Condon report in itself is an exercise in 'whitewash'. It makes for interesting reading.

Yeah, we could.* Scientists were involved in various military examinations from 1948 to the Condon Report. But those studies were unsatisfying to the UFO community (and outside your 50 yr window). And I'm guessing you would dismiss those studies as not "true" since you added that qualifier for a reason. I don't think an acceptable "true" study could be done. It would never be able to tick all the boxes, and null results would be brushed aside as a coverup like others have been. UFO phenomena are inherently difficult to study. MUFON still gets money to try and had scientists on their roster, but they didn't do much. Ultimately, the assumption that UFOs involve physical aliens is too narrow an assumption.

*Note all the astronomers and astrophysicists who are peeking into space all the time and not finding UFOs.

Thanks for the reply...........as INT21 said, the Condon Report was useless as real science;.....so we still have no proper study no matter how one frames that study.
'Astronomers and 'astrophysicists' train their scopes on distant objects not small ones hovering around earth...but then I think most of us know that. And the UFO phenom is indeed inherently difficult to study as many ufologists have been saying for many many years.
BTW..I also think that 'the assumption that UFO's involve physical aliens' is too narrow'.....which has been my position for many years and one I have said elsewhere on this forum in the past....and one that Dr Vallee was saying before others a long time ago.

A good piece outlining some history.

UFOs Won’t Go Away
BY KEITH KLOOR

A community of believers in extraterrestrial visitations continues to push its story, and the media and Pentagon continue to listen. Who benefits from these tales of close encounters?
https://issues.org/ufos-wont-go-away/

And the "whitewash" as some wish to think of the Condon report was also reviewed by the National Academy of Sciences. This, to me, constitutes a scientific report, not a sham.

A good piece outlining some history.

UFOs Won’t Go Away
BY KEITH KLOOR

A community of believers in extraterrestrial visitations continues to push its story, and the media and Pentagon continue to listen. Who benefits from these tales of close encounters?
https://issues.org/ufos-wont-go-away/

And the "whitewash" as some wish to think of the Condon report was also reviewed by the National Academy of Sciences. This, to me, constitutes a scientific report, not a sham.
Simple superficial reading about the Condon Report and Condon himself will show he had no interest in giving the UFO enigma a fair and impartial scientific analysis...many on the inside with those involved in the report said he was disdainful about the whole enigma and that the military also wanted the whole thing 'put to bed'.
Regarding the National Academy of Sciences..I would ask when their study of the report was done and who was on the panel and where their money and support came from. I have no idea if they did a fair look either but back in the day science was itself very disdainful of the enigma also.

I repeat :)

Quantity of posts is not sufficient for /anything/ to be a suitable subject here.

Frides

If it wasn't siutable content I'm sure it would have been locked or 'disappeared' long ago. :)

Yithian/Enolagaia,

A good example of what happens when supposedly 'proper' scientists get involved with 'fringe' subjects and are really under political influence is the Condon Report.

But that takes us off topic. Maybe it has been discussed elsewhere ?

A good example of what happens when supposedly 'proper' scientists get involved with 'fringe' subjects and are really under political influence is the Condon Report.
But that takes us off topic. Maybe it has been discussed elsewhere ?

The Condon Commission / Report has been mentioned a lot in passing, but rarely discussed head on. There's no thread dedicated to it. One recent example would be:

The UFO Community Still Believes—And Science Is Starting To Listen
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...eves—and-science-is-starting-to-listen.65601/

Cheers.

As Condon followed on from the Blue Book days, It is worth reading. But very dry.

I was hoping for member discussion on the Condon report.

It was a big thing back in the late eighties when it turned out to be a big con. An attempt by Condon to get much grant money with no real interest in what was actually investigated in the previous years.

Although it was published much earlier, it wasn't until the eighties that the ufo community really took notice of it.

It would be interesting to see a scientific report into the Nimitz and Gimbal sightings. One piece of advice ould be to keep Elizondo well away from the proceedings. Also Puthoff- he's a pseudoscientific idiot.

Back