• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unknown Creature Captured On Film In Iceland?

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Looks almost like a robot with good climbing capabilities. Some says it's a person carrying a camera tripod. What looks like a hand or arm might be a swivel to tighten the camera to the tripod.

Possible Cryptid Filmed In Iceland(?)
Published August 13, 2020

A rather strange video was posted on Instagram yesterday, depicting what could be interpreted as a possible cryptid in Iceland (a cryptid being a creature whose existence and origins are mysterious and as of yet unknown such as the Loch Ness monster).

Icelandic rapper Vigdís Howser Harðardóttir, aka feverdreamofficial on Instagram, posted the clip on her page. It shows the Dettifoss waterfall almost right at the edge of a cliff, zooming into the rushing water but not before some odd movement can be seen just over the rocky edge. What appears to be a dark little figure is revealed to be moving right over the brink of a rock, although its shape is near impossible to determine.

In her post Vigdís writes that, she hadn’t noticed “this little creature […] Looking like the girl from Ring” in the video until later. “No drones, no birds, no plastic bags, what is it??” she writes.

https://grapevine.is/news/2020/08/13/possible-cryptid-filmed-in-iceland/

1598431547457.png

It looks to me like we're seeing someone's head complete with helmet and go-pro. The still image is confusing but the video looks to me like someone shuffling along a cliff ledge or similar and all we see is the back of their head and a glimpse of their shoulders.

Very weird indeed!
The zoomed in shot could just conceivably be a climber wearing a dark hard hat with some sort of helmet-cam but, being wonderful Iceland, it could just as easily be a dark elf!
Is there a sheer drop over the ledge, or is it a rock face that climbers frequent?

lt’s a shame that there’s no indication of scale: is that thing ten feet away, ten yards or...?

To me, it looks like the head of a camera tripod; almost as if some unseen photographer on the far side of the rock is using it to hook over the edge of the rock, as an aid to climbing.

manfrotto-504hd-pro-fluid-video-head-75mm-review-2.gif

maximus otter

I agree with MO - it's pretty obviously a camera mount, most likely on a tripod or monopod.

If you watch the original Instagram video all the way through you'll catch a brief glimpse of someone's head / hair at the lower margin of the screen near the end of the video snippet. This briefly seen hair isn't the same object as the camera mount (whatever) seen earlier.

My interpretation: There's a person down below the cliff(?) edge in the foreground, and they're climbing into view.

Last edited:
I've changed my mind and agree with MO et al - a camera tripod or similar om someones backpack.

It looks to me like we're seeing someone's head complete with helmet and go-pro. The still image is confusing but the video looks to me like someone shuffling along a cliff ledge or similar and all we see is the back of their head and a glimpse of their shoulders.

Clearly the head of a Yeti, wearing a helmet and go-pro.

I agree that it's most likely to be a camera tripod.

I now know what happened to my 3 tripods that went missing...

If you were going to test a robot like Bigdog from Boston Dynamics, the icelandic landscape could be a useful place for it.

Actually the first thing it reminded me of was the robot dogs in the Black Mirror episode Metalhead!

Last edited:
I know it is cheesy and repetitive... but the clarity and the sharpness of the black "head-like" object against everything else looks like it was pasted upon the background.... sorry, looks CGI'ed to me

If I wanted people to form an honest opinion of a video of something unusual, I would play it at normal speed, and without adding atmospheric doom music. All we get is the same short bit of footage of something appearing to move in an unnaturally jerky fashion because the film has been sped up. That waterfall in the background does not look to me like water falling at a natural pace.

I'd say this is a climber/scrambler with a large backpack. Some back packs extend as far up as the back of the head, or higher. Add normal cold weather gear such as a thick coat, balaclava, a helmet, and add some photographic equipment and you produce a slightly strange profile which looks even stranger played fast, and with the captions and music telling you it's strange.

How come so many people out there on the trail are taking Go Pro footage every step of the way, but anyone who sees a cryptid only gets something blurry for a second or two?

If I wanted people to form an honest opinion of a video of something unusual, I would play it at normal speed, and without adding atmospheric doom music. All we get is the same short bit of footage of something appearing to move in an unnaturally jerky fashion because the film has been sped up. That waterfall in the background does not look to me like water falling at a natural pace.

I'd say this is a climber/scrambler with a large backpack. Some back packs extend as far up as the back of the head, or higher. Add normal cold weather gear such as a thick coat, balaclava, a helmet, and add some photographic equipment and you produce a slightly strange profile which looks even stranger played fast, and with the captions and music telling you it's strange.

How come so many people out there on the trail are taking Go Pro footage every step of the way, but anyone who sees a cryptid only gets something blurry for a second or two?
Here you can see another video of the waterfall for comparison. It's also possible to see from the other side of where the person/tripod/creature was filmed. Looks like it was filmed on the lower shelf near the waterfall. No place for a photographer under the lower shelf.

Still capture from the video.
1598532517963.png

Here's a crop of a wikipedia photo. Much clearer.

1598533048500.png

Last edited:
Surely she'd be a Blow Pro?

She might be a he dude .. and I also think that's just a tripod in that footage .. there doesn't seem to be any 'wiggle' in the 'shoulders' for that to be a human, it just looks like something on a pole to me.

I don't see a person. I see a robot of some sort. It places some kind of tube/pipe on the ledge that looks like it's purpose is to grip the rock.

The first thing that entered my thoughts was that it looks like it might be ET's version of the mars rover. lol

I just love the way my mind works, don't you? :wink2:

Back