• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unraveling The Science Behind UFO Technology

^I know little about cutting edge physics but is what we currently know the final answer on these things...?
Perhaps we are missing some deeper understandings of the nature of what can or can't be done.

Last edited:
Dr wu,

More than likely there is a lot of unknown.

The problem here is that Gambeir is talking about some rather fantastic things as if they were hard facts.

If they were hard facts then why haven't they entered the academic and scientific world.

It would appear, from this , that anything traveling at multiples of the speed of light would have multiple mass infinity.

How do you explain that away ?
Don't forget the infinite amount of energy required to get up to the speed of light...

Youtuber Isaac Arthur has done a number of videos around this theme, apparently it's undersirable to travel beyond about half of light speed using known technologies just because it's too far into diminishing returns on the use of resources.

Wouldn't bother travellers that were perhaps frozen, immortal or non-biological though it's still a long way to come for a butt probing expedition.
Not to namedrop (too much), but I was chatting to Isaac Arthur earlier today (on a different subject neither of us know much about, but we do both know people to ask). I think that even 50% c is a bit fast - impacts with interstellar dust and gas would be very dangerous at that speed, and the amount of energy required to accelerate and decelerate to that speed is phenomenal. Assuming that there are no warp shortcuts (and that the Woodward Drive, the Eagleworks drive and the McCandlish reproduction concepts don't work either, which is likely) then the only plausible way to reach 50 % c is by using beamed propulsion, since the mass fraction of a rocket would be prohibitive.

AlchoPwn's ideas about gravity and light-speed travel might have some similarity to the concept of the Woodward Mach-effect drive; this is based on the idea that mass, and particularly inertia, are dependent on the gravitational pull of all the rest of the universe. If you could somehow eliminate or moderate the pull of the rest of the universe, you could eliminate inertia and accelerate to any arbitrary speed. The difficult part of this process is of course eliminating or moderating distant gravity effects. Probably not possible in real life, but it would be jolly nice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodward_effect

Thanks for the reminder. I knew I had heard the idea before and in no way wanted to present it as my own, but couldn't remember what it was called.

At these Super-Luminal speeds, one would have to be pretty exact when calculating when to stop (How would you stop ?) as there is little room for error.

INT21.

Isn't Mark McCandlish an artist ? not any kind of physicist or mathematician.

INT21

He was a technical illustrator. He has close friends who are physicists and mathematicians, which isn't surprising considering who were his clients.
I'm not a scientist or mathematician either but that doesn't prevent one from reading General Relativity or anything else.

Gambeir,

As particles approach the speed of light, physics says that they approach infinite mass.

It would appear, from this , that anything traveling at multiples of the speed of light would have multiple mass infinity.

How do you explain that away ?

INT21

Skip to the 23:20 mark. This is Harold Puthoff speaking. Bear in mind these are the conventional Einsteinian based explanations.

That is interesting, since it is the first time I've heard Alcubierre admit that his warp drrive could be used as a time machine. He states, quite optimistically, that it should be possible to use a warp drive if and only if it does not violate causality by becoming a time machine, but the problem with that is you have to accommodate all possible frames of reference associated with the warp, and in many, many cases, time reversal creeps in via the back door.

It may be the case that even warp drive, if it can be made to work, will only ever be useful for slower-than-light translations.

Back