• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unreleased And/Or Unfinished Films, TV Shows, Games & Music

ramonmercado said:
CarlosTheDJ said:
HenryFort said:
isnt fury road a reboot ?

I think it's set between 1 & 2.

When he actually was mad. I never found Max to be all that mad.

Perhaps Mad in the sense of being Irate? He was more than a little peeved.

Haha yeah I know he isn't supposed to be mentally ill! I still don't think his main motivation is anger though. His wife and kid get murdered but it doesn't get referred to that often really.

The main thread is survival by getting fuel. Should be called Eco Ed.

I'm in the minority here, but I thought Beyond Thunderdome was the best of the three, I saw it in my local (now long gone) cinema when it was first released and it's been one of my favourite post-apocalypse movies ever since. Funny, I can only really stand Mel Gibson in these movies, and it's probably not the best idea to play up to his Messiah complex as MM:BT does, but the action is quite brilliant, the sense of humour is genuinely funny, Tina Turner is truly fantastic, they brought the great Bruce Spence back, I don't even mind the pretensions. It's really enjoyable.

I have high hopes for Fury Road with Tom Hardy (no slouch in the acting department himself), and hope to live to see it released some time in the coming decades.

The whole 'decaying-kitsch', slightly claustrophobic atmosphere of the first one was just incredible, it was subtle enough to be convincing and a UK or US film could never have quite pulled it off. The second one obviously had far more effort (and money) put into the post-apocalyptic vibe, but it never pulled me in like the first one did. Oh, and I could watch the whole 'Nightrider' sequence on repeat indefinitely without tiring of it :)
Also, slightly O/T, but I'm pretty sure his wife didn't actually die - iirc in the hospital, the doctors mention her vital signs being OK. I never figured out why he buggered off and left her there.

gncxx said:
I'm in the minority here, but I thought Beyond Thunderdome was the best of the three, I saw it in my local (now long gone) cinema when it was first released and it's been one of my favourite post-apocalypse movies ever since.

It's my favourite of the three, too.

It has humour in it ("Remember: no matter where you go, there you are", etc.).

All three have their giggly moments. I suspect three is easier to relate to as you don't need to wade through knee-deep blood n gore to get at the humour. eg MM1's Bubba Zanetti has his deadpan moments. "Perhaps it's a result of an anxiety" etc.

Once MM4 is screening (if it ever is) I'll launch the MM thread. I'm a huge fan of the franchise. I suspect the trilogy will become revived massively when MM4 finally sees the light of day. Such a seminal Australian sequence. The mythology's written about in peer-reviewed academic journals. Its importance is recognised.

Let's not forget MM2 was responsible for half the national filmmaking output of Italy and the Philippines in the 80s.

Went to see MM2 and MM3 at the movies. Thoroughly enjoyed them. Of course, that was before I knew that Mel G. was such a nutter. I'd still watch them again, though. :lol:

Several years ago I read an article about Richard Stanley - the original director of the notoriously troubled 1996 version of The Island Of Dr Moreau.

He was a director that I was very excited about in the early 90s... I loved Hardware and Dust Devil. It's sad that he seems to have pretty much been ruined as a director by Val Kilmer basically being a dickhead.

OneWingedBird said:
Several years ago I read an article about Richard Stanley - the original director of the notoriously troubled 1996 version of The Island Of Dr Moreau.

He was a director that I was very excited about in the early 90s... I loved Hardware and Dust Devil. It's sad that he seems to have pretty much been ruined as a director by Val Kilmer basically being a dickhead.

I read a story way back - couldn't find a reference to it when I looked the other day - which had Marlon Brando holding Kilmer against the side of an Airstream by his throat, and growling something, through gritted teeth, along the lines of:

Son, you appear to have confused the considerable size of your fucking pay packet with the inconsiderable size of your fucking talent.

To be fair, working with Brando by that stage was no picnic either - but he did have the talent to back up his "eccentricity". One of my happiest cinematic memories is watching Hardware one cold night in the Glasgow Film Theatre, I was in the mood for a movie and the experience was perfect. Dust Devil was OK, but slightly disappointing, though not half as disappointing as what happened to Stanley's career straight afterwards. What might have been, eh?

wait is this the same guy who writes for ft on bulgarach etc ??? quote histrionic in his own way ?

sherbetbizarre said:

Thanks very much for that, a lot of "what might have been" there, along with some tantalising "what might actually exist". I'd love to see the 1960s radical stuff, I find that kind of thing really interesting in movie form, so seeing Richard Pryor taking it to The Man would be great. The Godard too, just at the point his films stopped being entertaining.

I'd never even heard of that David O. Russell film, but it sounds like there's a place for it on a festival bill. Or as a DVD extra?

4 minutes with the director of Jodorowsky's Dune plus clips...

Adaptation of sci-fi classic Dune that never got made

There are many supposedly great films that never made the final cut.

One of the most ambitious projects was the failed film adaptation by director Alejandro Jodorowsky of the 1965 sci-fi novel Dune, written by Frank Herbert.

Although David Lynch eventually made his own version of the book in 1984, there is now a documentary looking at Jodorowsky's efforts to bring the book to the screen in the 1970s.

Talking Movies' Tom Brook went to interview the director of Jodorowsky's Dune.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26547179

A little Jodorowsky goes a long way, but his Dune would have been a sight to see. Though would it have made any sense at all? The good news is, at the age of 108, he's just made another (non-Dune) movie.

That's possibly the most awesome film that never got made.

The lynch version isn't that great, even with the added appeal of a young Kyle McLachlan in a leather suit.

Some more recent missing in action movies here:
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/30056/c ... n-released

Including one which a certain Mr F. Dennis could help get released if he tried, but apparently doesn't want to.

A film that was shot back in 2009, with a cast featuring Cillian Murphy and Sienna Miller, Hippie Hippie Shake is the movie dramatisation of the infamous Oz trial. Oz was the satirical magazine that drew the ire of the British authorities, leading to those behind it - including one Felix Dennis, who clearly has nothing to do with this particular website - being charged with 'conspiracy to corrupt public morals'.

The film version was directed by Beeban Kidron (she'd previously directed To Wong Foo, Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, and Bridget Jones: The Edge Of Reason), but she quit the film in post-production. Still, there were reports of some decent test screenings, but Universal has since apparently all but abandoned the film. No release is planned, in spite of a completed version of the film being screened previously.

ramonmercado said:
Cillian Murphy as Felix?
Oh no. Chris O'Dowd as Felix. Cillian Murphy as Richard Neville (who may be related to an administrator on this board at a medium distance.)

Pietro_Mercurios said:
stuneville said:
ramonmercado said:
Cillian Murphy as Felix?
Oh no. Chris O'Dowd as Felix. Cillian Murphy as Richard Neville (who may be related to an administrator on this board at a medium distance.)
I'd watch it. :)

I would too. Anything with Chris O'Dowd in it has got to be funny.

Mythopoeika said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
stuneville said:
ramonmercado said:
Cillian Murphy as Felix?
I'd watch it. :)

Lets start a campaign to have it released.

Felix is innocent again!

Mythopoeika said:

But what if it's meant to be serious?

gncxx said:
Mythopoeika said:

But what if it's meant to be serious?
It's based on Richard Neville's autobiographical memoir of the Sixties, Hippie Hippie Shake: The Dreams, The Trips, The Trials, The Love Ins, The Screw Ups , The Sixties. It's about the editors of a scurrilous Sydney Australia satire rag who move to Britain and transform their magazine into a hippy alternative psychedelic butterfly in Notting Hill, London's Height Ashbury. It could not be entirely serious.

Back