• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unreleased And/Or Unfinished Films, TV Shows, Games & Music

"Well that's another fine mess you've gotten us into!" - when they never actually met. :rolleyes:

*flies out of pedant cupboard*

It's was actually "Well , here's another nice mess you've gotten me into"

*swoops back, job done*

I think that's the second time I've corrected someone about that quote on this board. :)

It's a real pity the Captain Planet movie never got past the announcement and a few fan made youtube trailers! It's a movie that desperately needs making!

*flies out of pedant cupboard*

It's was actually "Well , here's another nice mess you've gotten me into"

*swoops back, job done*

I think that's the second time I've corrected someone about that quote on this board. :)
That might be yet another example of reality changing around us.
LOTS of people (including myself) remember it as '...another fine mess you've gotten us into'.
Yet...on checking, I find you are correct.
It seems as though I have drifted between alternate timelines again.

The good old BFI have found a lost Peter Sellers film:
http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-mr-topaze-1961/

It's the only one he directed, Mr Topaze from 1961, This is of interest to me because I studied the original play in school and there was a photo of Sellers in character on the front of the book. I always thought, well, considering he was the star it'll turn up on TV soon enough so I can see what he did with it, but it never did. Unfortunately to finally see it I'd have to join their site and pay the fee, so with any luck they'll put it out on DVD so I can rent it to watch on my TV (not keen on watching films on my computer).

The Other Side of the Wind is meant to be out later in the year (I know, heard it before).
Two years later...

Netflix is finishing and releasing one of Orson Welles’ famously unseen films
Orson Welles left behind a number of unfinished projects when he died in 1985, but most critics regard The Other Side Of The Wind—the Hollywood satire that ate up most of the director’s creative energy in the 1970s—as the crown jewel of the unfinished Welles collection.

The footage was all shot well before Welles’ death, and only awaits an editor—and a giant bag of money—to free it from the French film lab where it’s been sitting untouched for years.

Said giant money bag has now arrived, in the form of Netflix, which announced today that it had acquired the rights to The Other Side Of The Wind in order to finally complete it and release it to the public.
http://www.avclub.com/article/netflix-finishing-and-releasing-one-orson-welles-f-252079

The NYT has some more details and photos of the film cans!

All of these reports about the new initiative to unleash The Other Side of the Wind mention Bogdanovich, who was confidently announcing his own completion just a few years back. The name which is conspicuously absent from all this is Welles's widow Oja Kodar:

"Speaking at Chapman University in Orange, California on September 11, 2015, directors Peter Bogdanovich and Henry Jaglom and author Joseph McBride – all onscreen participants in The Other Side of the Wind –confirmed that Kodar had at various points derailed attempts to complete the movie"

We shall see . . . o_O

Thanks SherbetBizzare for that link to strangerdimensions, looks a cool site

ok,fourth time lucky at posting this

Although it says "long-lost", it's been on DVD for ages now, and youtube!

The bizarre story of a long-lost horror film made entirely in Esperanto, starring William Shatner
The film is set in an imaginary village where travelers come to use a magic well with mysterious healing properties. It’s there where Shatner, playing a wounded soldier, meets and falls in love with a succubus.

Shatner and the film’s other actors were not Esperanto speakers. They learned their lines phonetically in just a few weeks, and filmed them without an Esperanto expert on set. Unsurprisingly, the film was slammed by actual Esperanto speakers when it debuted at the San Francisco Film Festival in 1966. Film critics, unaware that the Esperanto pronunciation was atrocious, tended to enjoy the film.

But then things turned tragic.
https://qz.com/1035897/the-bizarre-...tirely-in-esperanto-starring-william-shatner/

And its subtitled on youtube. IMDB give it 6.2 out of 10. Saved for later viewing. Thanks for that.

Be warned it's not exactly a rollercoaster ride. But the real deal breaker for Esperanto speakers was that Shatner got his pronunciations wrong! (I wouldn't have known).

Here's a new trailer for ROAR. It's a wonder anyone was left alive to finish it...

On the Animal Planet channel in the UK at 7 tonight...

Roar: The Most Dangerous Movie Ever Made

The story behind Roar, the controversial film which included 150 untrained lions and tigers. With 70 crew members injured, it became known as “the most dangerous film ever made”.

I wish that Richard Matheson's The Link had gotten made! His outline was put out as a book some years ago...
Matheson's lifelong interest in the paranormal (Come Fygures, Come Shadowes) shapes every element of this massive unproduced screen treatment, whose hero, Robert Allright, is a writer scripting a TV mini-series about modern psychic phenomena. As Allright works with paranormal investigator Cathy Graves and explores a mystery uncovered by his archeologist father in the Arizona desert, he discovers his own latent psychic talents and truths that build to cosmic revelations at the finale. Matheson peppers the story with innumerable historical incidents of supposed paranormal activity that make fascinating reading, but show just how impossible this story would have been to film. This lightly fleshed out screenplay is purely for Matheson completists.

UNEARTHING DAVID SHIRE’S APOCALYPSE NOW
It might sound fairly crazy to some — “So it’s a record made up of music that wasn’t actually in the movie?” — but there is a fascination with so called “unused scores” that has seen many of them released as separate albums, if not restored back to the actual picture. It’s a kinder term than “rejected” but that’s what these works ostensibly are, scores that for whatever reason didn’t end up in the film.

There have been some big examples over the years but one of the most interesting is for Francis Coppola’s Apocalypse Now, which originally had a score by David Shire. Unused in favour of music by the director’s father Carmine, the score is now being issued by Californian soundtrack label La-La Land Records, providing a tantalising glimpse into an alternate version of a film that’s not only an iconic piece of cinema, but that also already has an incredibly strong musical presence.
https://medium.com/@filmsonwax/unearthing-david-shires-apocalypse-now-ca7f0971567c

“It has that rich, analogue Moog synthesizer sound common to the work of Wendy Carlos, John Carpenter, and Giorgio Moroder at that time,” Greiving states. “David, with the help of a man named Dan Wyman (who was his “synthestrator” on the score, and who had also helped Carpenter realize Halloween and The Fog), created some really interesting, bespoke synth voices. Stylistically, it’s avant-garde and psychedelic in how it attempts to evoke the drug-addled horrors of the Vietnam War… but it’s also David Shire, who is a melodist at heart (and a showtune composer), so it’s full of melodies that are both beautiful and disturbing. It’s definitely trippy, but it’s a hauntingly addictive trip.”

Speaking of games, I remember that in the mid 1980s, a super-game called 'Psyclapse & Bandersnatch' was winging its way towards the 8-bit wonders we knew and loved, and that it was so good, all other games paled by comparison. I distinctly recall the teaser ads in Your Computer - a group of programmers huddled round a glowing screen, working their way deep into the night, the desktop and monitor bestrewn with empty takeaway cartons.

But it never happened, of course - the company producing it (Imagine) went bust, and it was later revealed that P&B was little more than vapourware - existing only as a couple of sketches on paper. A potted history of the super-game that never was can be found at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandersnatch_(video_game)
Here's more on Bandersnatch, post-Black Mirror:
BANDERSNATCH: THE GAME THAT KILLED A COMPANY AND INSPIRED A BLACK MIRROR EPISODE
Bandersnatch is loosely – very loosely – based on an actual ZX Spectrum game that ultimately never saw the light of day. Here, then, is the story of the original Bandersnatch: what it was, what happened to it, and what it eventually became.
https://tiredoldhack.com/2019/01/02...-company-and-inspired-a-black-mirror-episode/

Includes this clip, showing the company's inner termoil!

A film that remained unfinished after the original production ceased (1972) yet was subsequently finished and released (1978), but really shouldn't have been, was Bruce Lee's 'Game of Death'. At the time of it's release, Bruce had been dead for 5 years and it's other big star, Hollywood legend Gig Young had blown his brains out after murdering his 5th wife.

A film that remained unfinished after the original production ceased (1972) yet was subsequently finished and released (1978), but really shouldn't have been, was Bruce Lee's 'Game of Death'. At the time of it's release, Bruce had been dead for 5 years and it's other big star, Hollywood legend Gig Young had blown his brains out after murdering his 5th wife.

At least we got to witness Bruce fighting Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, which is... unusual. There's also a Game of Death 2.

At the time of it's release, Bruce had been dead for 5 years and it's other big star, Hollywood legend Gig Young had blown his brains out after murdering his 5th wife.
You'd have thought the 5th one would have been a bit cautious after hearing about the previous wives.

At least we got to witness Bruce fighting Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, which is... unusual. There's also a Game of Death 2.

Yes, the final 20-30 minutes is martial arts mastery at it's best. He was ahead of his time, of that there is no doubt. As for the rest of the completed film, cut and pasted together with bad look-a-likes, old footage and dubious camera tricks, we'd have been better off just having the final fight scenes as they were.

You'd have thought the 5th one would have been a bit cautious after hearing about the previous wives.

The appeal of fame, fortune, Hollywood and and imagined easy life just holds too bigger sway over some young, pretty mercenary people and those in the position of power are more than happy to indulge them, particularly if their own star is on the wane.
I once knew a woman who even referred to herself as a ''starfucker'' and was more than happy to tell anyone within earshot of any local celebrity, no matter how minor they were (male or female) that she had bedded. She would step on anyone, family and supposed friends to get what she wanted in life.

I've only been waiting 32 years for this...

Unearthed: The 1980s sitcom pulled after two episodes
Episodes of a British sitcom so bad they have never seen the light of day – despite featuring the likes of Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson – have emerged on YouTube after 32years.

Hardwicke House
was yanked from the ITV schedules in February 1987 after just two episodes in the face of a hugely hostile critical reaction.
http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/06/03/43211/unearthed:_the_1980s_sitcom_pulled_after_two_episodes

There was supposed to be a DVD release of Hardwicke House that was cancelled after it was embroiled with rights issues. So have these episodes appeared thanks to a "collector" or an insider, I wonder?

Back