• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unsolved Mysteries (Netflix)

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
New series running on Netflix, more of a true crime angle than paranormal, but very interesting so far.

Unsolved murders, missing persons and I think there will be something paranormal upcoming.

The DuPont-Ligonnes murders/disappearance is one of the early cases.

Lots to discuss if anyone else is watching this show?

And after searching for this before posting and seeing nothing, of course I immediately see the Great Unsolved Mysteries thread.

Mod merge... Sorry.

We've seen a few and enjoyed them.
Apart from the UFO one, I just have no time for those! :dunno:

We've seen a few and enjoyed them.
Apart from the UFO one, I just have no time for those! :dunno:

Yeah, I like a good UFO yarn but this one was the weakest episode so far. Didn't have much substance and compared to some if the other episodes was a bit dull.

Yep, just started watching this last night and watched the DuPont-Ligonnes murders episode this morning.

I thought the UFO episode was very interesting. That unconnected people experienced something in the same general area on a particular night, suggests something or other happened, though who knows what. And the effect on the families wasn't good - it was a small community and people thought they were bonkers and ostracised them. So it's not like they got 'good' fame from saying anything. Various of them mention the 'oz effect' of strange silence (they don't call it that). I mean I know we all share a UFO culture from films and so on, so the interpretation of such experiences might be coloured by that. And it happened 50 years ago so you can argue about how well people remember things. But I think it's harder to dismiss that people experienced something decidedly weird. I like hearing about that. So I can't concur with your disinterest above!

But I do find the true crime episodes interesting too (with the usual should-I-be-finding-this-interesting caveat... the ghastly murders by and disappearance of Xavier Dupont de Ligonnes... I kind of think there is almost a Fortean element when the behaviour is so on the extreme compared to what 'normal' human beings are capable of doing).

edit - incidentally, I see the original series are on youtube (I have no experience of those) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzirOgADPOz0eapgwBcX9Gw

Last edited:
I've been watching it and honestly it's a little disappointing: there is much more to each story than they let on in the episode, as revealed by even cursory digging on the internet. I guess they have to err on the side of legal caution, but in most cases they don't really tell you most of the facts and so it's difficult to understand why these particular mysteries are deemed interesting enough to make a TV show about. The episodes are not nearly as in-depth as your average true crime podcast.

Of the recent episodes, the worst was the ghosts of the victims of the Japanese tsunami. It was just plain dull.

My wife and I are watching the old series on YouTube. Hopefully fans of the new version may come across them, and perhaps offer information that will finally close some of the outstanding cases

I found the ghosts of tsunami episode quite fascinating. A nice little glimpse into how other cultures deal with a huge disaster.

The superficiality of some of the other cases is slightly disturbing. Most of the cases can be solved by the phrase 'family in denial of mental health crises'.

277777648_3167584596846163_6253587453825729516_n.jpg

I found the ghosts of tsunami episode quite fascinating. A nice little glimpse into how other cultures deal with a huge disaster.

The superficiality of some of the other cases is slightly disturbing. Most of the cases can be solved by the phrase 'family in denial of mental health crises'.

Yes, there seems to be an odd process by which the more that society in general endeavours to engage with mental health issues the less some people are willing to consider it as a prime mover in individual cases. I'm not saying that it should be treated as the prime mover, as has probably been far too commonly the case in the past, but it clearly has a potential role to play.

The new series is just annoying – I know such a format can never hope to be exhaustive, but the disjunct between what you’re being told and what you’re patently obviously not being told is, in this case, glaringly obvious and particularly jarring.

(I too really enjoyed the ghosts of the tsunami episode from the last series.)

I've watched a few episodes of the new series and I've just watched the episode about the girl who was hit by a train. In all honesty, I found the episode quite frustrating. I totally empathise with the family and understand why they are pursuing the murder angle on a personal level. However, there was basically no evidence that she had been murdered. The missing shorts were a bit strange, but they weren't evidence that someone had attacked her. I think it's possible it was accidental (i.e. she tripped in the dark, banged her head and fell unconscious on the tracks) but this wasn't really explored in the episode. However, from what I've read and seen, I still think it was a suicide.

I find it frustrating because I suspect there are many deaths which are registered as undetermined or accidental which are in fact suicides. Again, I totally understand why families may want that, however this obscures the true level of poor mental health across society. It also perpetuates myths about how suicidal people do and don't act, particularly before they take their own life.

Back