• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unsuitable Advertisements In The Magazine (Fortean Times)

Are some of the adverts in FT unsuitable, and are you offended by them ?

• Yes, I find a lot of the adverts offensive/in bad taste.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Most are OK, but 'Faces of Death' takes the biscuit.

• They are all OK.

• I don't care about the content of the Ads.

• The ads are mainly crud but 'F.O.D.' is also vilely offensive, possibly to the point of illegality

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
titch said:
... gooch seems anything but harmless and i am surprised that so many readers seem to be able to agree with or at least ignore some of his more disturbing theories.
I am sorry for saying this here,the only other gooch thread i can find is his rip thread and i do not think it would be appropriate to put down my thoughts in there.
There are a couple of relevant Threads:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8756&highlight=neanderthal

And to a lesser extent:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7154&highlight=neanderthal

Weird as Gooch's theories may seem, they have been part and parcel of the 'Fortean experience', for several decades. I really don't think that Gooch's theories are dangerous, so much as they now seem to inhabit a strange, old-fashioned, New-Age, hinterland, somewhere between Robert Grave's 'White Goddess' and Frazer's 'Golden Bough'. His work tried to turn the then conventional wisdom on its head. When Gooch started writing, Neanderthals were still being written off as brutish sub-human also rans.

I read some of his books very long ago and I saw him at the 2003 UnCon. His lecture seemed sadly out of touch and old fashioned, but, as has been pointed out, elsewhere, modern advances in palaeontology and DNA research, haven't thrown his theories out of the ring entirely. There may yet be wheat discovered, hidden amongst the chaff.

I may hive the relative Gooch related posts of onto their own Thread. P_M

Did he say left handed people don't go bald? I'd have thought that would be easy enough to verify one way or t'other. I found the article refreshingly free from political correctness and qualification, though the theories could be complete bollocks of course.

I have threw my copy in the bin, but i think it was something along the lines off left handed people where more likely to vote labour, be a peodo and have male pattern baldness. :roll:

A dedicated gooch thread would be a good idea i think.

titch said:
I have threw my copy in the bin, but i think it was something along the lines off left handed people where more likely to vote labour, be a peodo and have male pattern baldness. :roll:

A dedicated gooch thread would be a good idea i think.

Titch I think it would be fair to say you've over-reacted somewhat.

There have been articles in the FT in the past that have elicited a response of 'absolute piffle' from me but I've never felt the urge to bin the whole magazine.

This article from may last year points to a survival of Neanderthal DNA in the modern human genome thus proving as an example the interbreeding theory: BBC Link

So whilst I won't defend some of Gooch's more objectionable theories which you seem to have focused exclusively on, I have to say the phrase 'throwing the baby out with the bath water' does spring to mind.

titch said:
I was being sarcastic about the gooch article in the latest fortean times,it was not my intention to offend anybody,and i apologize if i have done so.
It's OK. I assumed you were just making a joke, and was just playing up to it. Not having received my copy of 272, so I don't know what the Gooch article says.

ALL my copies end up in the bin once i have read them , it did not throw it in the bin after i had read the gooch article , the magazine was read cover to cover , apart from classical corner as normal.

If you read my post above you will see that there are articles i thought where poo but didnt get the hump over.

Baby and the bathwater ...he got lucky a couple of times with his wild guesswork, the experts who work for years in the field are more slow but sure and do not come out with the piffle.

Focusing on what i find objectionable is very...errrmmm human, i cant agree with PM that goochs theories are harmless , i found an extreme right wing website that latched on to some of goochs theories, to promote vile filth , i am NOT saying gooch would agree with that website, but there be dragons

Anome_ said:
Not having received my copy of 272, so I don't know what the Gooch article says.

It's about YOU. :twisted:

titch said:

Focusing on what i find objectionable is very...errrmmm human, i cant agree with PM that goochs theories are harmless , i found an extreme right wing website that latched on to some of goochs theories, to promote vile filth , i am NOT saying gooch would agree with that website, but there be dragons
You'd be surprised at what the extreme right wing can latch on to. :(

Hmm I have to say I think I'm with Titch on this. The Gooch article wasn't just harmlessly eccentric, it was deeply offensive, far-Right twaddle, which is not excused by the fact that Neanderthals may have had a more sophisticated culture than was previously thought.

Yeeeee! its no longer my army of 1 against the whole fortean world!! :D

I'd be careful titch, the secretive far-right cabal that REALLY controls Fortean Times will stop at nothing. They even put a big swastika on the cover of 273, I mean how much more evidence do you need?? :spinning

Yeeeee! its no longer my army of 1 against the whole fortean world!!

TBH I'm surprised to see so many people defending Gooch on this.

Yep i was as well,for me labour voters are more likely to be peados is such an outrageous statement that i thought every right minded person would complain. (i would also complain if it was about any other political party)

I rub my feet with one of those.

Well, I've suffered for my FT today. I needed to visit the laundrette, so took this months FT to pass the time. There was me, sat with a big fat swastiker in front of my face, when the attendant seemed to be paying me lots of attention. Don't get me wrong, I was flattered, but he wasn't my type, nor was the Asian lady sat across also giving me the eye. Then some other woman piped up about there being plenty of magazines available for customers to use, when the penny dropped from a great height. :oops:

So...anyone got a washing machine going cheap?

It's bad for the magazine, but I find the old foldback technique handy when reading magazines with embarrassing or awkward covers.

Well since my copy of the FT is always dumped with the mens mags in wh smiths nazis hold to terror for me.

Sorry, just noticed your location. :D

Rolf Harris is a tv personality over here in the UK. Big, soft and cuddly and very, very nice. Everybody loves Rolf including old cynics like me. He presents programmes about 3-legged cats, dogs with coughs. lame budgies etc. Has also done some Led Zepplein covers. Very, very cool man. (and he's an accomplished artist *sigh* is there no end to his talents?)

Stylophone-object of desire for young children in the 1970's. A little electronic keyboard which came with a stylus. It had precisely three notes activated by touching the keys with said stylus. You could play any song you wanted provided it had three notes........if it were not for the stylophone synth-pop would never have happened ;)

Hahaha, this post hasn't aged well!
I know who it is and will be taking the most merciless piss forthwith.

I have to fess up and admit i havent read the paper ft in a few years, but i seem to remember every issue contained and advert for L. Ron Hubbards 'Dianetics'.
Not cool man, not cool.

FT takes advertising wherever they can get it. They have to survive somehow.

Back