Untouchable Brain-Shrinking Fungus Found In Australia

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Joined
Aug 9, 2001
Messages
5,008
Likes
9,229
Points
309
#1
One of the world's deadliest fungi has been discovered in Australia's far north for the first time - thousands of miles from its native habitat in the mountains of Japan and Korea.

The Poison Fire Coral fungus was discovered in a suburb of Cairns by a local photographer and subsequently identified by scientists, James Cook University announced Thursday.




Several people have died in Japan and Korea after mistaking the bright red fungi for edible mushrooms that are used in traditional medicine, and brewing it into a tea.

James Cook University mycologist Matt Barrett, who confirmed the identity of the toxic mushroom found in Australia, said the discovery extends its known distribution "considerably".

Poison Fire Coral is the only known mushroom with toxins that can be absorbed through the skin, and causes a "horrifying" array of symptoms if eaten, including vomiting, diarrhoea, fever and numbness.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/03/brain-shrinking-killer-fungus-cannot-touched-found-australia/amp/

maximus otter
 
Top