• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unusual Phone Calls (Received; Incoming)

tony_carson said:
what are you talking about? you didn't 'semi-forget' you forgot. jesus christ, just admit you were wrong. you said the thread had been deleted and it hadn't. or hold on, was that the 'wind up?' oh haha. very helpful.
You're welcome :). And do calm down.

Stu..

In the cold light of day, my post comes across as very cold and possibly even arrogant.

Ok, so you were wrong. Big deal. At least you've not got a big ego (Thinking about this today, I was anticipating a mighty response)

You're doing a fine job as a mod. Apologies from me. :)

tonycarson: TAXI!!

taxi driver: where to guv?

tony carson
: queens medical!

taxi driver: i'm gonna hav' to charge you extra squire, you're bleedin' all over my fackin' cab!

tonycarson: eurrrww.. ..wwhat?

thanks oldrover, for linking to the thread - in the circumstances many of us would have missed it otherwise!

No problem. And thank you for not capitalising old.

Can I ask tony are you in any way a shadowy figure inhabiting a shady twilight world of intrigue? I ask as you appear to be just a name.

oldrover said:
thanks oldrover, for linking to the thread - in the circumstances many of us would have missed it otherwise!

No problem. And thank you for not capitalising old.

Can I ask tony are you in any way a shadowy figure inhabiting a shady twilight world of intrigue? I ask as you appear to be just a name.

'e looks a rum geezer if you ask me guv. No date joined, no number of posts. Reckon 'e could be an alien. Green blood an' all.

It's Mr Janus I'm telling you, posting from a lap top in a pleasantly furnished flat in Smith Street Chelsea.

I work manning the switchboard for a well known retailer and had about 5 lots of prank callers last week, flipping' Easter holidays and bored children. The company I work for was prank called in the TV show 'phonejacker' a few years ago so inevitably kids try and recreate the scene. I played a long with the last lot of them on Thursday afternoon until they kept calling back every five minutes and I slowly and clearly read out the phone number they were calling from as it was displayed on my screen. That shut them up.
I'm a bit disappointed at not having come across any weird calls yet, just angry calls and calls from the desperately stupid along with the usual mundane switchboardy type.
Really enjoyed this thread though!

Had an odd call yesterday. There was a pause after I answered and I thought Telemarketer but a woman came on but very faintly so I couldn't catch what she said.
She didn't sound foreign but said she wanted to discuss some project with me. On asking what project she was talking about she said she would call back later. Of course she never did and it was probably a wrong number but it's left me feeling curious and wondering why it was so faint.

We had a phone call last night saying we'd won the postcode lottery. Although we vaguely recognised the name, we haven't purchased any tickets for it, or indeed done anything towards possibly winning it,

My mum told the man she wasn't interested, then we googled it and you do indeed have to purchase a ticket, and we know for a fact we haven't. So I'm guessing it's a scam of somekind. Also looking on the website, none of the postcodes mentioned are ours anyway, so I'm not worried we've missed out on anything.

I was sure we had a thread with disturbing phone calls apparently from frightened little girls but can't find it, plus it's nearly 3am so this is going here:

Girls 'spoken to' over hoax call

The alarm was raised on Monday when the hoaxer told the operator she was a three-year-old girl and her mother had fallen.

The caller said she was locked in the house and could only give a handful of details about where she was. After failing to trace the call, which was from a mobile, officers decided on a publicity drive to try to find the girl, who said she was called Ellie.

Little_grey_lady said:
We had a phone call last night saying we'd won the postcode lottery. Although we vaguely recognised the name, we haven't purchased any tickets for it, or indeed done anything towards possibly winning it,

My mum told the man she wasn't interested, then we googled it and you do indeed have to purchase a ticket, and we know for a fact we haven't. So I'm guessing it's a scam of somekind. Also looking on the website, none of the postcodes mentioned are ours anyway, so I'm not worried we've missed out on anything.

I see there actually is something called the Postcode Lottery, which is news to me. It sounds as if these callers are fishing for bank details though:

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08000641081/12

:(

I just got another PPI call: "We believe you are owed over £3000 for mis-sold PPI - to speak to one of our operators press 5..."

Now I knew this was total arse, because the last time I had a loan with PPI was over ten years ago, when I bought my first PC. And since the loan was only £500, it was ridiculous to think that I'd been charged PPI of at least £3000 on it! So I pressed 5, thinking I'd give the operator a string of fierce questions: "How much was the loan? Who made the loan? And when was it?" I was enjoying the thought of the confusion I would cause (I had other things to say), but I found I was on hold, listening to recorded music...

Finally I said something rude and hung up. But I'll get one of those buggers one day! :twisted:

rynner2 said:
I just got another PPI call: "We believe you are owed over £3000 for mis-sold PPI - to speak to one of our operators press 5..."

Now I knew this was total arse, because the last time I had a loan with PPI was over ten years ago, when I bought my first PC.
etc...
If you don't know about PPI, etc, this synchronistically appeared on the Beeb news site today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21029581

PPI: The unintended consequences of a scandal
By Kevin Peachey, Personal finance reporter, BBC News

(Quite a long piece.)

PPI: The unintended consequences of a scandal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21029581

Reading the article more carefully, I'm glad I don't have a mobile to get texts about PPI, as they're usually spam.
It's singularly unwise to reply. The texts are a lie. The spammer responsible has no records relating to the recipient.

The senders are often based overseas and, if they get a positive reply, sell on the details to agencies for as much as £200 each. In the same way as unsolicited phone calls, they are sent out in automated batches, rather than referring to an individual recipient's circumstances.
At least with a landline my (attempt) at a reply won't tell them anything they can't find in the phone book anyway. (Furthermore, I've not taken out any loans since I've been at my current address.)

For those that SWEAR they have rung the right number -

When I was in student halls of residence, I used to always seem to get calls for the hall tutor, when I told them they had the wrong number, they would swear it was right! I eventually realised, that for some reason, our numbers were connected, so when one was engaged, it was automatically forwarded to the other. As I rarely use the phone, the hall tutor only got my irate mother once!

It was handy for drunken internal calls from random strangers at 1am, I didn't have to report them, just leave the phone off the hook.

Many years ago when I lived at home with ma and pa the phone rang one evening, I picked it up

“Hello?”

“Hi this is Carl from Hawaii, is Ben there please?”

“No I’m sorry no one called Ben here”

“Gee I’m sorry about that”

“no problem”

15 minutes later it rings again, my mom picks it up

“Hi my names Carl is Ben there please?”

“I’m sorry there’s no one here by that name”

“oh ok, sorry”

“That’s ok”

This carries on over the next 48 hours or so, up to the point where mom is answering the phone by saying “aloha”

We ask Carl what number he’s calling, he reels off a sequence of numbers that bear no relation to ours but he volunteers the information that Ben lives in Pittsburgh. Carl seems as puzzled and as exasperated as we are although all parties are being good humoured about it. The last call goes.

“Hi, it’s Carl, again” sighs “I’ve got you English guys again haven’t I?”

“Yeah afraid so”

“wish I knew what the heck was happening here guys”

“Yeah us too” laugh

“Ok I’ll try again in 15 minutes, see yah”

No more calls, hopefully carl and Ben got their business sorted

Dad often cites that woman who ended up calling a WWII war room from modern day. I’ve tried to search it but Google is being no help. Are there other people that have experienced something similar I wonder.

Back