• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unusual Phone Calls (Received; Incoming)

Right! That's it! Let's go back to two tin cans on a long peice of string!
Modems would be easier - after all binary is a doddle on such technology ... one tug for "on", two tugs for "off".

Tricky if you have digital tv an' all!

I once, swear to god, got a man claiming to be from the FBI saying that our number had been on his pager and was wondering if anyone here had tried to call him. I just told him nobody had and that I was sorry, but that I didn't have any idea what was going on. I don't know if he was making it up or if he was truly serious, it could've been either way, but it was pretty funny. :p

Stormkhan said:
Right! That's it! Let's go back to two tin cans on a long peice of string!
Modems would be easier - after all binary is a doddle on such technology ... one tug for "on", two tugs for "off".

Tricky if you have digital tv an' all!
I guess if you did, you'd just have to be a really big tugger.

Network - all your bits of string tied together in bundles, hence the term "software bundle".

Firewire - soak your string with lighter fluid, apply the flame and stand well clear.

yesterday my boyfriend answered the phone to someone asking for someone who doesn't live here. he told the guy he had a wrong number. the bloke then insisted for several minutes that it was the right number, that he'd had it on his phone for ages and always used it. my boyfriend, being far more polite than i would have been, tried to explain to the guy that we really, really didn't live with the person he was asking for and were not trying to hide him from him, and perhaps the phone company had re-used an old number. i was quite amazed by his patience, i would just have asked the guy why on earth he thought that we didn't know who lived in our own house.

I was once called by a very angry middle aged woman who told me to tell X (a name of someone, no one I knew) to bring the extension lead back RIGHT NOW! I tried to say no one lived here with that name but she started on about how that wouldn't work with her, told me to stop messing her about and get X on the phone, she was so angry she could hardly talk properly, she eventually gave up with a big sigh, I'm sure she didn't believe she had the wrong number right til the end of the call!

I don't get all this being nice to rude strangers on the phone.
Once I've told someone they have the wrong number I hang up.

I could have such fun............... :(

Went to work one day last week, and the In Charge says to me, "We need a good phone number for you. I tried the one we have and it's not the right one." We talked about it, but she was adamant that she'd called the right number and that it wasn't mine.

escargot said:
I don't get all this being nice to rude strangers on the phone.
Once I've told someone they have the wrong number I hang up.

I could have such fun............... :(
Go watch Ruthless People for ideas.

when we moved 3 weeks ago our phone number changed (stuck with telewest and their cable/phone/broadband deal). since then we have had at least one wrong number call EVERY day - in fact i think today has been the first day we haven't had one. i've already mentioned the rude person who wouldn't believe that the number they had was wrong. most of them seem to have a poor grasp of english and get very confused. god only knows who had this number before us but either they got a hell of a lot of phone calls or they didn't bother to tell anyone their number had changed.

I had an unusual phone call just the other night. It rang about 6.15 pm, I answered, saying hello twice but there was no reply. I was just about to put it down and forget about it when I heard what sounded like a foriegn ring tone, which was immediatly answered by a foriegn woman speaking in english.I did,nt quite catch what she said, as I quickly put the phone down in case this was some kind of phone scam.Anyone else had this?

That's just someone selling something.

A machine dials numbers and if a number leads to you picking-up, the machine dials a human to speak to you.

I once had a phone number which was somehow connected with an apartment building's intercom. The caller ID would say "Johnson Properties" and a phone number. It created a lot of confusion at first before we figured out what's going on with people saying "Open the door! I'm outside! " with us stupidly looking out of the window and saying "I don't see you!". Eventually, my ex would just pick up the phone and use "funny" accents and try to "freak" people out. Whatever. This phenomenon stopped only after about 6 months.

This one really freaked me out:

Frightening Phone Incident
by Bryn

I live in Christchurch, New Zealand and this story happened five years ago when I was 13.

Every year as tradition, my family and I head across the street to a neighbor's house. We and some of our other relatives and friends meet here to celebrate Christmas. As the night grew further and further on into the early hours of the morning, I became tired and decided best that I go home to sleep. Neither I or my older sister owned a key to unlock our house, so therefore I had to borrow my mother's. "Don't lose it," she said. "It's our only one." "I won't, Mum," I replied. Then said my goodbyes and left for my house. Though my house is only just across the street, mum insisted to ring her when I got back.

I remember it was a really hot night. It’s summer during Christmas in New Zealand. As I walked across the street, I looked up to see the star-filled sky beaming above. I was in a good mood that night; everything up until that next hour had gone well. Little did I know my mood would shortly be shattered.

I walked up the steps of our house onto the front porch, unlocked and walked through the door slipping the key into my back pocket as I walked in. It was dark in our long hallway and as I quickly made my way down and into my mother's room to make the phone call I switched the hall light on. The light came as some what of a relief to me. I tend to panic a tad in the dark. I made the phone call to assure mum I was home and I was safe. She told me she’d be home along with my sister in the next half hour or so. So I decided I’d stay up and let her in rather than getting up out of bed half asleep to let her in. After our short discussion, I placed the phone down on mum's duchess and walked into our living room. Switched on the TV and remained there for about 10 minutes.

As I sat there watching some late night infomercials I noticed the light flashing on our living room phone. This happens when either the phone is ringing, or when the phone in mum’s room is picked up off the hook. Now I thought, “Surely that can't be. I’m home alone.” So I walked over and picked up the phone. On the other end of the line came a blurry static with random silent spaces. This went on for a minute or two until I started to hear what sounded like a voice, and this voice was screaming. Screaming like its body was in extreme pain. Deathly screams full of hatred that made me feel cold all over. These screams were partially clear only very faint behind the static. I couldn’t make out any words; there may not have even been any, just screaming. At this point I started to freak out, tapping the phone off and on but still the noises didn’t change.

For a few minutes I paced back and forth, not knowing exactly what to make of it all, or what I could do to calm myself. I thought of ringing mum, but the phone wasn’t working and I didn’t dare listen to those noises again. So as the minutes turned to what felt like hours, finally I gathered enough courage to walk down the hallway and into mum's room where I’d last seen the phone, but to my shock, it wasn’t there! Now losing the plot entirely, I turned my head to the front of the house. And there, lying on its side was the phone I had used to call mum not 15 minutes before! I did a mad bolt down to put the phone back on its hook, then ran to the living room to call my friend's house across the street.

The next few days, police where checking every entrance way into our home for any evidence of a break in. Even the chimney. Nothing was missing, nothing was broken, nothing was found.

I didn’t hear any noises whatsoever that night. My house is old and echoes any sound through its thick walls. You can hear the smallest noises from the other side of the house and I heard nothing at all. No bangs, no crashes. Not even a creak. All I heard was that noise from the phone, and it’s a sound I’ll never forget. To this day I still don’t know how the phone got there, and who or what put it there. The only thing I do know is, I was the only person in the house that night. And our only key was rested safely in my back pocket the whole time.

Many years ago I worked for a removals firm that had a freephone number. One day this number rang and the guy on the other end of the phone said, "Oooh what are you wearing?" "Nothing," was my reply, "I'm standing naked in a bucket of soapy frogs. What about you? " "Bloody nutter" was his reply and put the phone down. So I'm all for the "outweird the weirdo" idea :D

Ha! Six years between posts. Hope no-one was holding their breath.
(that phone story above was terrifying btw)

Terrifying story from 2004 NZ but part of me thinks it reads more like a bit of fiction than something that really happened.

Had a weird call the other day. The phone rang around lunchtime, as it always seems to be if not at 6pm, and when I picked up nobody answered just about 5 seconds of silence and then a female recorded voice said "Goodbye".

Probably very rational explanation but curious nonetheless.

An odd one this morning. I picked up and said "Hallo", and a man with a very heavy German accent started speaking. I thought he was trying to sell something, but at the same time I thought 'Why would a call centre employ someone with an almost incomprehensible accent?'

He knew my name was Mr. So-and-so, and my postcode, but then he asked "How do you pronounce your first name?" - which he obviously didn't know. At this point I terminated the call, thinking he was fishing for data for identity theft.

Puzzling and slightly worrying.

(Incidently, there are only two people with my surname in the local phone book. The other one lives just a couple of miles away - maybe he's the same person who once lived several dozen miles away. The phone book does not give postcodes, but they're not hard to look up.)

About 6p.m. yesterday the phone rang. I thought it would be another robot call about PPI, but a real woman spoke, saying she was from the Guardian newspaper, and she understood I was a regular reader. I said I only read it online, and when I added that I rarely buy any newspaper she rapidly lost interest and hung up!

I couldn't think what brought me to their attention. Although I've posted several Guardian articles on FTMB, that's under my username, not my real one. Then this morning I remembered I once bought a book through the Guardian bookshop - that must be how my name got into their database...

Butif I had been a Guardian buyer, I wonder what would have followed? A Questionnaire? A Special Offer? If anyone knows, please reply here!

Ok, I don;t remember if I red that Frightening Phone Incident a few years ago, but I just read it again and I am so creeped out now! :shock:

Isn't this the thread that spawned the Vietnam war/American werewolf in London-horse debacle.

oldrover said:
Isn't this the thread that spawned the Vietnam war/American werewolf in London-horse debacle.

Oh you can't just make a statement like that and not expand on it. :?

oldrover said:
No. That one's long gone.

I'm usually loath to put threads to the sword, but that one was more trouble than it was worth, if I'm honest.

stuneville said:
oldrover said:

I'm usually loath to put threads to the sword, but that one was more trouble than it was worth, if I'm honest.

You have to elaborate on this!

No Bishops, "Catholic" or otherwise, need be named.

If it were only bishops...

Sometimes, thankfully almost never, I get an "Executive Order". I have to do it. Me.

Even now... hell. I don't want to talk about it. I couldn't if I wanted to.

You must remember it it started when someone posted an IHTM story from Vietnam when they'd opened fire on an unidentified something up a tree. Trouble was, at least initially, that they'd posted it in a phone thread, which led to some confusion as I remember. Then someone else said afterward that they'd got scared by a horse after watching the American werewolf in London. At which point someone chipped in saying that the original poster shouldn't have fired at something he couldn't see, which upset the horse guy who thought it was directed at him. And so it went on.

Can't imagine that one being chopped, it was all good natured bemusement.

And it hasn't, must be getting confused with another post. Not as funny as I remember it, very likely drinking when I read it first time. Here it is;

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... sc&start=0

oldrover said:
You must remember it it started when someone posted an IHTM story from Vietnam when they'd opened fire on an unidentified something up a tree. Trouble was, at least initially, that they'd posted it in a phone thread, which led to some confusion as I remember. Then someone else said afterward that they'd got scared by a horse after watching the American werewolf in London. At which point someone chipped in saying that the original poster shouldn't have fired at something he couldn't see, which upset the horse guy who thought it was directed at him. And so it went on.

Can't imagine that one being chopped, it was all good natured bemusement.

And it hasn't, must be getting confused with another post. Not as funny as I remember it, very likely drinking when I read it first time. Here it is;

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... sc&start=0

Just read the first page as its time for bed, but that alone was hilarious!

oldrover said:
..Can't imagine that one being chopped, it was all good natured bemusement..
It wasn't - I semi-remembered the one you were talking about, but took the opportunity instead for a wind-up :).

In all seriousness, I've removed entire (non-spam or straight trolling) threads about a dozen times in ten years, and each was because of either copyright or legal issues and the order did come from on-high.

oldrover said:
stuneville said:
oldrover said:
..Can't imagine that one being chopped, it was all good natured bemusement..
stuneville said:
It wasn't - I semi-remembered the one you were talking about, but took the opportunity instead for a wind-up :).

In all seriousness, I've removed entire (non-spam or straight trolling) threads about a dozen times in ten years, and each was because of either copyright or legal issues and the order did come from on-high.

what are you talking about? you didn't 'semi-forget' you forgot. jesus christ, just admit you were wrong. you said the thread had been deleted and it hadn't. or hold on, was that the 'wind up?' oh haha. very helpful.

thanks oldrover, for linking to the thread - in the circumstances many of us would have missed it otherwise!

Back