• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Up North

thealien2000uk

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Why is there no Fortean shows or conventions etc up north we don't even get anything in Manchester, Leeds or York?

I live in the Pendle area of Lancashire in the middle of ufo valley (a UFO hotspot) and in the shadow of Pendle Hill (the scene of the noturious Lancashire Witch Trials) yet we get nothing.

Could some promoter do something up here?

But does anything Fortean ever happen north of the Watford gap? :lol:

On the Lancashire/Yorkshire boarder, we are in an area of

The major UFO hotspot of uk (says Jenny Randles)

Most ABCs in the uk in recent years (5 in last 2 years local press)

Most ghosts per square mile in the uk (encyclopedia of hauntings readers digest)

Most legends in uk (encyclopedia of myths and legends readers digest)

Most fey creatures (fairy folk) in uk (encyclopedia of myths and legends readers digest)

Most demon dogs in uk (encyclopedia of myths and legends readers digest)

Most reports of witches in the uk (encyclopedia of myths and legends readers digest)

Most appearences of the devil (encyclopedia of myths and legends readers digest)

Most dinosaur sightings (three is last 5 years local press)

need I go on

So a convention or lecture would be ideal in a part of England where we have so much Fortean activity

One show in Leeds in 20 odd years does not portray the north of Englands rich paranormal past or indeed present.

Its the southern softies too scared to come North. Incase they find some real paranormal activity up this way.

A few years back there was a veru good cryptozoology conference i lectured at in Newcastle. It was held at the Life Centre and run by Ian Simmons.
LAPIS hold a conference in Blackpool each year.
On the 21st of November i will be lecturing about my verious cryptozoological trips at Leeds University.

There just has to be one, don't there. :lol:

One does not count "Newcastle" as "up north" round 'ere matey and Leeds might as well be another planet to a Lancastrian. :lol:

Ok then how come none of these lectures etc are advertised to their maximum potential as I for one and all my Fortean friends and paranormal associates never get to hear of these poorly advertised shows and they are very seldom advertised in Fortean Times for a start.

Even when that load of $hit "Most Haunted" show came to Lancashire all the tickets were sold before us locals had a chance to buy any.

There still is the North/South Divide and rivalry between Lancashire and Yorkshire (Hack, gargle spit). :lol:

I'd like a "Northern" Uncon.

I'm an "expat" Londoner who now lives in Nottingham and would like more to happen "higher up" in the country. I admit that London is the capital and good for transport links. But now London is becoming far too expensive (especially with the Olympics money-maker) for anyone to travel to and/or stay in.

It's not a point of how Fortean any area of the country is but what facilities are available and how accessible a convention is. When in London, I've lived in 5 mins walk from the venue (nice if you can do it) but, if you consider the national interest in the magazine and its covered subjects, you need to be accessible to as many as possible ... especially in these days of high transport and accommodation costs.

WHITE ROSE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the Birmingham NEC would be a good venue for a convention.
There is CFZ roadshow planned for next year with Jon Downes and i (as well as local Forteans) lecturing around the country. It's the 20th anniversry of the CFZ. If there is anyone who wants us to lecture in there neck of the woods then let us know. All we need is a pub, hall or club. We are not looking to make money just having our expenses covered and possibly flogging a few books.

I hope you post the itinerary LM, and do you plan to come to Wales?

I live in Cardiff, so could go to a Birmingham UnCon just as easily as a London one.

If Newcastle is not up North then where the feck is it. As it is not in the south. Oh and Lord Mongrove is right the Crypto convention the Centre for live was very good indeed. Although that was about 4 years ago.

Hi Old Rover
No firm itinary yet but hopfully we will be all over the UK, Wales, Scotland, the lot. We will be planning it over winter.

A few years ago I remember talk about setting up a new Manchester/north west Fortean group. I was keen to help start it but couldn't because of, well, circumstances.

Is there any appetite for one now? I'm up for it. :D

escargot1 said:
A few years ago I remember talk about setting up a new Manchester/north west Fortean group. I was keen to help start it but couldn't because of, well, circumstances.

Is there any appetite for one now? I'm up for it. :D

Only just noticed this message. I would be up for it!
I'm based near Warrington but can easily get to Manchester.

Draenog said:
I'm based near Warrington but can easily get to Manchester.
i put the fort in the northern quarter lets get it on ... okay but hang on i actually almost never have a night off ... except mid-feb and a weekend in june when its brownie pack holiday

Sounds like mid-feb is the best idea then :lol:

If we organised a pub meet one evening it would help to gauge potential interest. If we got a decent turnout to that we could then look for a regular venue, perhaps arrange a visit somewhere, find some speakers... the world's yer lobster...

What do you reckon?

Did anything come of this? Was there (or will there) be a pub meeting in Manchester's Northern Quarter as suggested?

Although at least with other things in my life overtaking the (semi)planned York meet, nobody ended up being skinned and b*ggered.

Sadly too many of us have too much other sh*t going on in our lives right now.

Or maybe we are all talk. :lol:

OneWingedBird said:
Sadly too many of us have too much other sh*t going on in our lives right now.

Remember to wipe yer bum!

I think people don't have as much money these days for travelling, hotels and drinks and food as they did a few years back so meets aren't as enticing or even as possible these days. We would certainly go to one if we could afford to but just can't right now.

It would be no good trying to organise a meet in Cornwall either. Some one would probably promise to "Do it drekkly", but this is like the Spanish Mañana, only not so urgent! ;)

Back