• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming DC Comics Adaptations

I will likely see The Batman in the next week or so, my expectations are middling. It'll be the first DC film I will have seen since The Dark Knight Rises ten years ago and the first one I've had any interest in since The Suicide Squad.

Meanwhile the content machine churns out more sausage:

I spotted that 'Joker' was available on the Netflix last night, so I thought that (as I recall it was critically acclaimed) I would settle down to watch it.
Well it was all very wonderfully filmed with obviously high production values, and the sets and vehicles being used etc were spot-on for the period.
But the dialogue was almost impossible to follow as the oft-used, modern 'acting' method of mumbling half your words made it hard work.
And (as those of you that have seen my 'film reviews' before will know) I always impose my '15 minutes' ** rule (I can sometimes extend it to 20 minutes if I'm watching a film that I expect to be deliberately a bit 'slow').
'Joker' did not even get past 13 minutes before I was reaching for the remote control to switch it off. Nothing of any interest had happened except a couple of scenes of Alfred or Arthur (or whatever his name was) doing stuff.
I'm damned glad I didn't pay money to watch it at the cinema.

** The '15 minutes' rule stems from (I think the only) film I went to watch at the cinema with the then wife.....'15 Minutes'.
A proper turkey of a film with poor acting, awful plot, a glaring lack of continuity, and some massive plot holes.
It was an act of endurance forcing myself to sit through it to the end, which I only did because I had paid for tickets, but that was the film that made me wonder if they called it '15 minutes' because that was how long they expected people to stay in the cinema? ##
Nevertheless, it made me promise myself that in future, I won't waste more than 15 minutes of my time on any film that isn't going anywhere quick.
(## - no, I know they called it that after the saying that 'everyone is famous for 15 minutes')

Here is a link to the IMDB for the film, but I warn you, even reading the plot is probably enough to bore you to tears.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179626/

I spotted that 'Joker' was available on the Netflix last night, so I thought that (as I recall it was critically acclaimed) I would settle down to watch it.
Well it was all very wonderfully filmed with obviously high production values, and the sets and vehicles being used etc were spot-on for the period.
But the dialogue was almost impossible to follow as the oft-used, modern 'acting' method of mumbling half your words made it hard work.
And (as those of you that have seen my 'film reviews' before will know) I always impose my '15 minutes' ** rule (I can sometimes extend it to 20 minutes if I'm watching a film that I expect to be deliberately a bit 'slow').
'Joker' did not even get past 13 minutes before I was reaching for the remote control to switch it off. Nothing of any interest had happened except a couple of scenes of Alfred or Arthur (or whatever his name was) doing stuff.
I'm damned glad I didn't pay money to watch it at the cinema.

** The '15 minutes' rule stems from (I think the only) film I went to watch at the cinema with the then wife.....'15 Minutes'.
A proper turkey of a film with poor acting, awful plot, a glaring lack of continuity, and some massive plot holes.
It was an act of endurance forcing myself to sit through it to the end, which I only did because I had paid for tickets, but that was the film that made me wonder if they called it '15 minutes' because that was how long they expected people to stay in the cinema? ##
Nevertheless, it made me promise myself that in future, I won't waste more than 15 minutes of my time on any film that isn't going anywhere quick.
(## - no, I know they called it that after the saying that 'everyone is famous for 15 minutes')

Here is a link to the IMDB for the film, but I warn you, even reading the plot is probably enough to bore you to tears.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179626/
I watched it for about the same time, then gave up...for much of the same reasons.

I loved it!
I loved it too.

Martin Scorsese doesn't like superhero movies, Joker, which heavily references Taxi Driver and particularly King of Comedy ( and shares Robert De Niro), is the film you imagine that Scorsese would have made if he'd ever been persuaded to make a movie based on a Comic-book.

Hey if I had given it more of a chance I might have loved it enjoyed it a little more.
You clearly have a greater attentio...............ooh look, there's a dog outside!

This is what I thought of it when it was released in 2019:

Joker: Gotham City is a grim place to live in (it's been twinned with Cromer), refuse collectors on strike, social services being cut back, widespread violent crime, a sharp divide between the rich and the poor. The Joker works as a clown at an agency where the clowns have to punch in on a time clock. He gets the worst gigs, beaten up by kids when he's advertising a closing down sale. Loses his psychiatrist and medication due to the cutbacks. He has to look after his crazed invalid mother who writes to billionaire Thomas Wayne begging for help as she worked for him decades ago. Then he loses his job. All of this pushes him to breaking point.

We have a killer clown pursuing his prey along subway trains and platforms. Long corridors in hospitals, apartment buildings, steep sets of steps. A city on the brink of class war. When three of his employees are slain by the Joker Wayne decides to run for mayor, on a 1% platform, calling the poor clowns. He gets his answer as mobs riot while wearing clown masks. They see the Joker as a hero. Some scenes of savage violence as the Jokers break from reality continues and his new villain persona emerges. Great scenes of hordes of clowns travelling by subway trains to protests and riots. Very much an adult version of the Joker with an outstanding performance by Joaquin Phoenix in the title role. Robert De Niro plays Murray Franklin a talk show host originally adored by the Joker. We get to meet Alfred and the young Bruce Wayne but this is the Joker's story. Writer, director and producer Todd Phillips delivers a dark origin tale which likely puts himself and Phoenix in the running for Oscars. 9/10.

Too many deep fried mars bars in it? Hopefully it'll turn up somewhere.

The new Batgirl movie has been scrapped by Warner Bros Discovery months before its planned release.

Reportedly budgeted at more than $70m (£58m), it was due to be shown in cinemas and on the streaming service HBO Max later this year.

The New York Post reported that the decision had followed a poor reaction to test screenings.

However, Warner Bros said the move reflected its "leadership's strategic shift".

The production was filmed entirely in Glasgow and the local council said it had brought a significant economic benefit to the city.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-62406098

The thing is these days with big budget superhero films, is that they are mainly 'formulaic'. They do their 'test screenings' with a group picked to represent their target audience, so if (for any reason) they don't show enthusiasm for it, then it gets re-edited, or extra scenes shot, or canned altogether rather than 'tarnish the brand'.
Gone are the days of just making a film with the best actors you can get, with good scripts and a good director, and releasing it and seeing how it goes.
Oh no because that might expose the film company to too large a loss if it all goes tits up.
And yet they're happy to bin 70 (or 90) million dollars on something that was probably doomed to failure from the start, as they decided to tick as many boxes as they possibly could, and then their 'target audience' told them it was shite.
Much like the poor reception the Buzz Lightyear film got recently.

I read this morning that the new Brad Pitt vehicle (sorry - pun intended) "Bullet Train" has been roundly panned by critics too.

Considering the money they put in to their movies, you can't expect them to gamble. It is however unusual to not release a film at all, especially as streaming is an option. Even the Flash will probably be released when people have forgotten what Ezra Miller has been up to.

Gaga is in!

Lady Gaga Confirms Role In 'Joker 2' With Very 'Cheeky' Tweet​

The upcoming movie, “Joker: Folie à Deux," will reportedly be a musical, but there's no word on whether the singer will be playing Harley Quinn.

It’s no joke: Lady Gaga will be starring opposite Joaquin Phoenix in the sequel to Todd Phillips’ Oscar-winning blockbuster “Joker.”
The singer had previously been rumored to star in the sequel, “Joker: Folie à Deux,” the title of which refers to a shared psychosis. She confirmed her participation on Thursday via a tweet that included the music of Irving Berlin’s “Cheek to Cheek.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lady-gaga-joker-2-cheek-tweet_n_62ec2d2ee4b0da5ec0f2e8bb

How long until we get a report almost identical to the one about 'Batgirl' but just with the names changed to 'Joker' and 'Lady Gagar'???
Whaddya reckon? Let's see....
Release date due October 4th 2024
So I reckon probably around July 2024, with some Hollywood arse-covering regarding 'directorial differences' or some such bum-gravy.

I don't understand why they'd spend so much on a film and then not release it. Even if it might be an embarrassing flop.
Maybe they know it will be a flop and realise that it might negatively impact their shareholders?

In my opinion DC has been sabotaged.

DC was bought by Warner Brothers who was bought by Time who was bought by AT&T who was bought by Discovery.

Rumors were Discovery did not think a female Batgirl would bring in male paying tickets and took the 90 million dollar loss.

Film scams are usually associated with films that are funded by various arts bodies. This one seems to have been commercially funded.
Baffling. At least make it a straight-to-video release.
Hmmm. Just looked... they wrote it off as a means to getting a tax break.
The one I feel sorry for is Brendan Fraser. That guy needs a boost, because his career has been in the doldrums.

Last edited:
The one I feel sorry for is Brendan Fraser. That guy needs a boost, because his career has been in the doldrums.
I expect it's quite likely that he has already been paid whether the film is released or not.
Maybe the fact that it wasn't released means he 'dodged a bullet' there.
You know....'guilt by association' styli.

Two words.
"The Producers".
66d.png

DC League of Super-Pets: Great fun as Superdog, Krypto (Dwayne Johnson) gets jealous when Superman's romance with Lois Lane gets more serious. Meanwhile Lex Luther is plotting to bring orange Kryptonite to Earth. Superman is snatched by Lex, while Krypto loses his powers. But animals in a pet store gain powers from the orange Kryptonite! They team up with Krypto to fight the forces of evil. one of them, a crazed hairless guinea pig, Lulu (Kate McKinnon) goes over to the Dark Side and lets loose an army of enhanced guinea pigs. Great battles and fun antics in this 3D computer-animated superhero action-comedy film. Mainly for kids but 5 of us (adults) went to see it and we were the only ones to stay to the end of the credits to see the teaser! Directed & Co-Written by Jared Stern. 8/10.

In cinemas.

I read this morning that the new Brad Pitt vehicle (sorry - pun intended) "Bullet Train" has been roundly panned by critics too.

I just saw it, pretty good comedy thriller, the comedy being very dark. It's at 7.5/10 on imdb, some of the critics panning of the film was because they thought Asian actors should have played the roles filled by Pitt and Joey King etc. Also because it was filmed in the USA instead of in Japan. I'd give it 8/10, review to follow.

In my opinion DC has been sabotaged.

DC was bought by Warner Brothers who was bought by Time who was bought by AT&T who was bought by Discovery.

Rumors were Discovery did not think a female Batgirl would bring in male paying tickets and took the 90 million dollar loss.

The new head of Warner Brothers Discovery decided to take advantage of an opportunity to treat it as a tax right off. Costs spiralled due to covid and they would have to spend low tens of millions to finish it and many tens of millions (at least) to promote it so it makes sense in a draconian manner. I suspect it's mostly that.

There's also the issue that Michael Keaton's Batman was in it and is also in The Flash movie (the utter debacle around that and Ezra Miller is whole 'nother conversation), where he and the multiverse are introduced, apparently there was confusion that he was in this and Aquaman 2, as The Flash was meant to be out this year to establish the multiverse.

Cavill is dumped.

Actor Henry Cavill has been dropped as Superman by the new bosses of DC Studios, less than two months after he announced his return to the role.

"I have just had a meeting with James Gunn and Peter Safran and it's sad news, everyone. I will, after all, not be returning as Superman," Cavill said. "After being told by the studio to announce my return back in October, prior to their hire, this news isn't the easiest, but that's life."

He said there were no hard feelings.

"The changing of the guard is something that happens. I respect that," he continued, in his Instagram post. "James and Peter have a universe to build. I wish them and all involved with the new universe the best of luck, and the happiest of fortunes."

Gunn and Safran took over DC Studios in late October, just after Cavill made a surprise appearance as the Man of Steel during the credits of the Dwayne Johnson film Black Adam. The British actor then posted a video telling fans: "I wanted to make it official, that I am back as Superman." The Black Adam cameo was "just a very small taste of things to come", he added.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-63983600

That's a great pity, Cavill was the best Superman we've had since Christopher Reeve (although Cavill's Clark Kent was poor compared to Reeve's Clark Kent). That said, all of the Superman movies that Cavill was in were really weak due to lousy writing.

I don't really care about the DCEU, Gunn & Safran are free to do what they like, but WB letting both Henry Cavill & Gal Gadot post to social that they were happy to be back, then pull the rug out from under them within days is a pretty shitty way of doing business.

Back